• ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Question about driving to a cruise port

I am planning on going on a cruise sometime in the near future and will be driving to Port Canaveral. I would like to carry since I am driving so far but I cant find any info on if Port Canaveral and the cruise parking area is a secured area or not. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Last edited:

youngda9

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    You are asking if it is safe to leave your firearm in your vehicle while you go on the cruise? You do not need to concent to any search of your vehicle...so I see no reason not to lock it up in your trunk (do it off property first), park your car, and enjoy your cruise.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I plan to lock it up in my car,in a lockbox hidden in an undisclosed location in the vehicle. Thats what I would like to do. What I am trying to find out is if you have to go through any kind of port security checkpoint to get to the cruise parking area. I have never been on one and was hoping to hear if someone knew about this.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I am planning on going on a cruise sometime in the near future and will be driving to Port Canaveral. I would like to carry since I am driving so far but I cant find any info on if Port Canaveral and the cruise parking area is a secured area or not. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks

Port Canaveral is fenced in, has a parking garage, and has security guards patrolling the parking lots. I really don't remember if they had a "no firearms" sign or not. But I think your vehicle will be safe.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I plan to lock it up in my car,in a lockbox hidden in an undisclosed location in the vehicle. Thats what I would like to do. What I am trying to find out is if you have to go through any kind of port security checkpoint to get to the cruise parking area. I have never been on one and was hoping to hear if someone knew about this.

The only checkpoint is when you enter the gate. You will need to show your ID, ship boarding pass. However I think they can search your car if you enter their property, but it's highly unlikely unless you give them a reason.

EDIT... what cruise are you taking? I was just looking at them last night on-line. Can't wait to go back. Have fun..

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The only checkpoint is when you enter the gate. You will need to show your ID, ship boarding pass. However I think they can search your car if you enter their property, but it's highly unlikely unless you give them a reason.

EDIT... what cruise are you taking? I was just looking at them last night on-line. Can't wait to go back. Have fun..

Going on Royal Caribbean to the Bahamas in early Summer. First cruise for me but I need a vacation after the last year.:D

22rssix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   2
    Mar 27, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I left port from there on Nov of 2011. We drove down and I locked my gun in the car and nothing happened. We just drove in and parked. I did have to hit a carwash after we got back. The car was covered in what looked like a salt film.

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Bring some "wine" bottles that have been refilled and recorked to contain rum. MMMm.... Caribbean Sun and Rum. MMmm....

Did this.... It works. In fact, they checked out our 12pk of coke's more than the wine/rum bottles. :laugh:

Just make sure the bottles say "wine".. That's all they looked for on ours..
    Have fun.. I can't wait to go back.

rsklar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Wonder what the rules are for bringing your firearm with you on the cruise? Temporary residence, no?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I left port from there on Nov of 2011. We drove down and I locked my gun in the car and nothing happened. We just drove in and parked. I did have to hit a carwash after we got back. The car was covered in what looked like a salt film.

Thats what I was hoping for, My big worry was when I was going into the parking it would be a "secured area"

Bring some "wine" bottles that have been refilled and recorked to contain rum. MMMm.... Caribbean Sun and Rum. MMmm....

Whats the caribbean without rum:dunno:

Wonder what the rules are for bringing your firearm with you on the cruise? Temporary residence, no?

This is illegal for numerous reasons, The cruise goes into international waters where private individuals are not allowed to be armed according to maritime law.
    Second, All the cruise ships I have seen or heard of are always registered to somewhere other than the US. Its their boat their rules.
    3rd I plan on having a good time and sipping umbrella drinks for a week. TSA style checks mean that I should be safe on the ship with nothing but sheeple. I dont trust those checkpoints 100% but I would feel a lot more comfortable relaxing Unarmed on a boat than on a crowded public beach in florida. :twocents:

jve153

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2011
    bargersville, in
    should be fine locking in truck. enjoy your trip. when i go i always take my flashlight, sense they do tend to frown upon pocket knives as well.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Years ago skeet shooting was a common activity on many ships. It went away because of "pollution" issues. A few cruises continued offering it but since 9/11 its been gone completely.

Top Bottom