• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    I am looking for a .22 semi auto pistol to add to my collection. I want to use it for squirrel/anything that needs shot gun. I had a s&w model 22A and loved it. It has the heavier barrel with the rail on top. My question is, is the s&w worth getting again or should I look into the rugers? I do not want a buckmark or that new neos from beretta. If the rugers are better, which should I look into getting?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Ruger .22s have always served me well. Just bought another for my son, a 22/45 with 5 1/2" bull barrel. It comes drilled and tapped for a scope, includes a scope base, and comes with two magazines. Very accurate with open sights, we've not tried it with a scope or red dot. Field stripping is a bit more of a PIA than some of the others, but nothing that requires a PhD. It doesn't have a buffer to wear out like the Smith, either, though the buffer is cheap and replacing them is easy.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    If you liked the S&W get another one. I have 2 Ruger Target Models, a S&W 22S Target, that I haven't shot yet, and a Smith 41. The 41 shoots like a rifle but it's about a grand! The Rugers shoot very well too. Get what you like.

Last edited:

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Never used the S&W. Shot a couple Ruger 22s, I've got a 22/45 MKIII. They sucks to tear down. Some folks say it's easy once you get used to it. I've decided not to tear mine down again. Excellent shooter, and isn't picky about ammo. I've used Aquirlisdfaehuiowfhewjlfhe (That company) Colibri, CCI mini-mag and standard velocity, and Remmington subsonics in it without any issues. Have you seen the Mosquitto? Never shot one but another option.

BigMatt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 22, 2009
    On Sunday, there was a nice Colt Woodsman ($499) and a P22 ($259) at Gander mountain in Greenwood.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I didn't mention all the other 22s I have, just the target types. The P22s are fun but not a good choice to hunt with IMO.

Wheezy50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Morgan County
    I've not owned the Ruger, didn't care for the way it felt in my hand. I do however have a Smith 22a that I got about 4 months ago. The camo bull barrel version, I put a cheap holo sight on.

I love it, i think I've got around 2500 rds through it so far. It shoots the Fed. bulk and CCI minimags both very well. I haven't really tried any other kinds of ammo. The plastic buffer as showed no signs of needing replaced so far and it came with a couple extras.

I feel like it's plenty accurate for my pin shoots/plinking/varmint hunting needs. I'm extremely happy with my purchase, for the price I think the 22a is hard to beat. BTW, a friend got one around the same time as me, his is not the heavy barrel and his groups dont seem to be quite as tight as mine. I'm not bragging, just saying the heavy barrel might provide more accuracy, not sure. Many people told me the barrels would show no real difference in accuracy??:dunno:

My opinion would be: if the price of the 2 is a non-factor, the Ruger probably has stronger reputation/will get more votes. But, if $ is a consideration..........like I said I'm really happy with my 22a.

1943Izzy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Liberty
    I have an old High Standard Sport-King Model 103 . It is a blast to shoot , not too picky on ammo , and dependable. It wont break the bank either. Or if you want to spend a little more I would suggest the Supermatic Citation model.

dw357

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2008
    That Mosquitto looks pretty sharp. Does anyone know how it shoots? What about prices on it? The s&w is listed at 300 on the web but I got mine around 230.

JAH

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    I have a Smith 22A just bought at 21st Century last week, put 300 rounds through it Monday. I think it is agreat pistol, the only hickup was the red dot I installed it made it top heavy.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    I have the S&W 22S (same as 22A) with a red dot on it, and absolutely love it. I admittedly have had little experience with the rugers, and would like to get one someday, but the 22S serves every purpose I would want the ruger for. I have some others that are great for plinking (Walther, etc), but if you don't want a Buckmark, and you enjoyed the S&W, the only reason I see to go with a Ruger is to try something different. The only complaint I have about my 22S is that it is a little heavy. Darn thing is like a big paper weight!

My suggestion, before you put up your cold hard earned cash, buy someone a brick of ammo and see if they will let you test out their ruger. Might save you some trouble!

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I like both the Ruger and the Buckmarks. I have owned and shot several over the years. I was never impressed with the S&W 22a. My model 41 S&W is a completely different animal. The 41 is a beautiful example of craftsmanship. But to be honest the Ruger or Buckmark shoot almost as well.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I like both the Ruger and the Buckmarks. I have owned and shot several over the years. I was never impressed with the S&W 22a. My model 41 S&W is a completely different animal. The 41 is a beautiful example of craftsmanship. But to be honest the Ruger or Buckmark shoot almost as well.

The 41 is a work of art. But it's surely in a whole different ballpark, pricewise!

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I've had the mosquito, and would not recommend it. It's not that it's a BAD gun. It's not. It's just that for that kind of money, I think I shouldn't have to run a brick through it just to get it not to jam every mag or two. The smiths, rugers, and brownings are all good guns. They will, of course, all have break in periods, too, but are not plagued with the kind of quality issues the skeeters have.

krn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Downtown
    i will be picking my p22 up tomorrow! then go shoot some time this weekend. i honestly bought it because of the looks.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    I recently bought a Ruger 22/45. The grip is shaped similar to 1911. I love it. I have not tried to take it down yet though. I looked at them for a long time before I made up my mind, I looked at them all.
    One day I walked into gun shop and there it was just put on the shelf that day. Awesome gun, I would by another one in a second.

shootinghoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2010
    Indy
    I'm also in the market for a .22 pistol and have been looking at the Ruger Mark III Hunter. After reading everyone gripe about field stripping these guns, it has me a bit spooked. Are they really that difficult or is it just different from say field stripping a 1911?

Also, the HiViz / LitePipes appear to be rather delicate...has anyone had a problem with those things breaking frequently?

Top Bottom