• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am going to a concert in Chicago tonight, and I am aware that they do not honor my LTCH there. I am still wanting to take my gun with me for the trip, what do I do when I get to the IL/IN line? Do I unload it and put it in the trunk?

bigus_D

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2008
    Country Side
    I am going to a concert in Chicago tonight, and I am aware that they do not honor my LTCH there. I am still wanting to take my gun with me for the trip, what do I do when I get to the IL/IN line? Do I unload it and put it in the trunk?

I don't think you can legally take it unless you are just passing through to a destination where you CAN legally have it.

(tagged for further reading)
    picture.php

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    It's not legal for you to take your gun into Chicago, even if it stays locked in the trunk. The Federal Peaceable Journey law allows you to take it THROUGH, but as Chicago is your destination, you're not "just passing through".

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And be careful if you EDC a folding knife. I think their limit is like a 2" blade or something stupid like that.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    Being that I am a law abiding citizen it looks like I'm gonna leave the gun at home...

now this nonsense about a folder only being 2"??? do they have any laws against fixed blades?

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    It's not legal for you to take your gun into Chicago, even if it stays locked in the trunk. The Federal Peaceable Journey law allows you to take it THROUGH, but as Chicago is your destination, you're not "just passing through".

Not sure you can even go THROUGH chicago with it based on this...

From IL SPD
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
    Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Not sure you can even go THROUGH chicago with it based on this...

From IL SPD
    Firearm Owner's Frequently Asked Questions
    How do I transport a firearm through an Illinois community with an ordinance that prohibits firearms or handguns?
    Illinois' Unlawful Use of Weapons law does not preempt local ordinances from banning firearms. Persons carrying or transporting firearms through such communities could be subject to local firearm ordinances. It is recommended that you contact local authorities regarding their firearm ordinances.

If traveling THROUGH the city, and you are traveling with an unloaded gun, unloaded magazine, gun and ammo both locked up, then you are covered by the FEDERAL law that allows for transport.

You may well be in violation of a city or county law, and they may trump the state law, but the federal law trumps all those.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    If traveling THROUGH the city, and you are traveling with an unloaded gun, unloaded magazine, gun and ammo both locked up, then you are covered by the FEDERAL law that allows for transport.

You may well be in violation of a city or county law, and they may trump the state law, but the federal law trumps all those.

Hum... I would like to see this in action. Would you care to be the test case of going thru Chicago and getting pulled over for say speeding and the the cops find your gear?

Just asking? ;)

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    I am staying overnight in chicago, so I will be without my gun, and that 2.5" knife rule means that I cant take my busse hell razor with me.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    DRBarnes what you going see concert wise?
    You can bring a wistle with you so you can blow on it and alert the authories should you be the victim of a crime just like the poor souls across the pond.

drbarnes

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Kokomo
    DRBarnes what you going see concert wise?
    You can bring a wistle with you so you can blow on it and alert the authories should you be the victim of a crime just like the poor souls across the pond.

I'm going to see Roger waters performing The Wall, I saw him at verizon a couple years ago performing Dark Side of the Moon and it was amazing. I expect nothing less tonight.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am not saying who, but I know MANY people who travel into Illinois, and some even into Chicago armed but deep concealed. And no, they dont have a FOID.

INGunGuy
    That would be breaking the law and, as we have heard many times, laws deter crimes and gun owners are law abiding. So, he can't take his gun.

Top Bottom