• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I read the TSA post about bringing guns/ammo. I'm planning to bring empty magazines in the hard case with my XD (per Airtran's rules when I called) along with original ammo boxes for the SD ammo. I'll declare and check it in my bag.

I have my IWB holster for concealed carry per Florida law. I have my Indiana resident LTCH and Florida is a reciprocity state so I'm covered there.

My few remaining questions are about carry in businesses with "no guns allowed" signs. Do their signs have legal ramifications? If so, is it required that they are posted in obvious locations?

Am I required to notify LEO if pulled over?

I was on a Florida open carry website but INGO is so cosmopolitan I posted here.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    I'm going to take my PF9 to Florida this summer too. It will be my first flight while checking a gun of any type. Frankly, I'm scared of getting arrested by the TSA for even walking into an airport with the gun in a locked case, because of all the intimidation involved in screening. I will follow this thread and hopefully at least hear some encouraging words!

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Flying with a firearm beats flying without one, night and day experience and a tag bit of smugness when they page you by name to the Homeland Security Supervisor.

Here's my standard go-to advice for flying with a firearm
    Pay close attention to this website: Packing & the Friendly Skies and watch the videos. Check the TSA Regulations TSA: Traveling with Special Items and the airline regulations, make sure you are packed to the strictest of the standards between the two (ammo has leeway, some airlines it's TSA minimums others it's down to original packaging only, be prepared)

Also the very first thing I do upon landing is get to the baggage carousel, pull the bag off, remove unlock, open and check that everything was as I left it while still in full view of the security cameras. This way if something needs to be started as aresult of the case being opened without you or to locate a missing firearm then it's going as soon as possible.

All of that said I like my right to not be groped, radiated, or back scattered without a warrant, so when I go to FL in the fall I will be driving, and the IN permit should get me there and back without issue.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If it were me, I'd be highly tempted to ship the gun to myself just to avoid TSA / airline hassles.

-J-

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You know it wasn't bad at all. I told the agent at the counter, he was misinformed and told me I couldn't have the ammo in the case with the gun. I reassured him TSA allowed it and he backed off. He explained what to do at TSA counter. I had a paper saying I had a gun checked. After being millimeter waved, I lit up that so I got a pat down and a chemical swab. I told the TSA agent I was supposed to check in and they directed me to a supervisor booth behind where you put your stuff back together. They asked my name and airline, made a call, and moved on. They asked me to listen for my name overhead in case they needed me but that's the last I heard.

Maybe 3 minutes extra for the gun. No big deal.

On the way to our destination I saw a turn for Sanford and decided to keep going ;)

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    I checked a case with 4 handguns from Chicago to Spokane, and had no problems whatsoever either coming or going. Guns unloaded, good locks for the case, you're good to go. I put the case inside a duffel bag so it would be more inconspicuous. Good idea to do a quick inspection when you pull the case off of the carousel though.

You will inform the ticket agent, they will have a you fill out a little declaration card (stating that the gun is unloaded) and then a TSA agent will inspect your bag. Once that inspection is finished, you can lock your case with your own locks (and retain the keys).

I had a really cheap "TSA" lock on the outer duffel bag, and when I arrived in Spokane, it was gone. Everything was accounted for and my inner case was still locked, so I assume the lock broke off, but I was a bit nervous when I saw it coming down the carousel with no lock on the outer bag.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Isn't it a federal crime to ship a weapon, especially across state lines? Or is it only a crime if you're shipping to transfer ownership?

Transfer of ownership is the issue.

Shipping your own weapon/s to yourself is perfectly legal...provided that A) you're the actual receiver of said weapon (that is, no one opens the packages but you) and B) said weapons are legal in the jurisdiction you ship them to.

Going that route, though, you're not allowed to have any ammo in the package with the firearm itself. You'd either have to ship that separately or buy more once at your destination.

-J-

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Maybe 3 minutes extra for the gun. No big deal.
    All things considered about as good as it can go. Also forgot to mention, should anyone be searching this thread at a later date, I don't walk up to the counter and shout "I've got a gun!" I simply walk up and as relaxed as possible say "I've got items to declare" The usual response is "Do you mean a firearm?" But it's the best way I've found to rule out :koolaid: over hearing and over-reacting.

Doc which airline did you fly? I know TSA says the ammo is ok, but some of the airlines have issues with it, I'm curious if you got one with a stringent policy or a misinformed employee?

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    It was AirTran, I called them and they said unloaded mags and ammo in original factory box. Said they didn't care if ammo was in same case as gun or not.

The funny thing is I had a bigger incident when I took my 3yo to pee just before takeoff when the stewardesses had declared the cabin secure for takeoff. I said I'm glad seats are leather because he won't wait 5 mins. Heh. She had to radio the captain to hold on.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I check firearms in my luggage on virtually every trip i take and have never had any kind of an issue with TSA. Don't worry about it people.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Just boarded to come home. It's interesting that Orlando has totally different TSA/airline processes for handling special items. At MCO the curbside attendant got the tag ready, walked us to the counter, then walked us to the TSA screening spot by the ticket counter. They scanned it and we were off. At Indy I had to bring a slip of paper and alert TSA after I went through my screening as well.

Nothing says security and error minimization like numerous protocols for the same thing!

Top Bottom