Going to make a suppressor, need some info please.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    I came across a deal for one of those solvent cleaning traps and couldn't resist. (Isn't that what Paypal money is for anyway?) In looking at the eform 1 I'm not sure what to put for the firearm manufacturer for the Line Items. I've looked a little bit online but didn't see anything. I know that I/my trust will be the true manufacturer but it's asking for a current manufacturer.

I've also seen where people have reshaped the freeze plugs into a cone. Does this really help?

Lastly, for the moment, why would I want to put spacers in between some of the baffles and not put baffles the full length?

Thanks for the help,
    Dan

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    This isn't one of the oil filter ones. It's a metal tube with freeze plugs as the baffles. It's entirely legal as long as you form 1 it. I did find the info on the form 1. Google on my phone doesn't seem to be nearly as effective as on my home PC. When I receive everything I'll submit the form 1. Obviously I can't build it or even drill the holes in the plugs but I would like some more info on "coning" the baffles and putting in the spacers.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Dan, I did get the e-filed Form 1 approval Friday & the pdf email today. This one will be a C sized aluminum tube. My 2nd is for a D sized can (going Titanium on that one).

I used the Trust name as the manufacturer. That "manufacturer" will come up as unknown to the ATF. That's OK.

As far as cone shapes... you want the air to have to change directions as much as possible when moving through an orifice (the hole the bullet goes through). ~60 degrees seems to be the magic number. You'll read about clipped cones too. That's a small cut near the hole that produces some sideways moving turbulence. Some people say it helps reduce dB, some don't notice a difference. Some people drill small holes in the sides of the cones for the same reason.

Spacers... you need a "blast chamber" near the muzzle. It helps reduce 1st round pop. Sometimes you need space just to clear the muzzle device or flash hider. I'm going to stack ~6-8 cone shaped plugs at the exit of my .22 can and a couple with spacers to make a blast chamber. The 1st blast chamber plug will be reversed (pointing towards the exit). I've read the 1st baffle inserted that way helps reduce "back" pressure going backwards into the gun.

Playing around with what baffles go where and what direction is part of the fun.

You're welcome to come squash freeze plugs in my die set. :ingo:

DanVoils

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Dan, I did get the e-filed Form 1 approval Friday & the pdf email today. This one will be a C sized aluminum tube. My 2nd is for a D sized can (going Titanium on that one).

I used the Trust name as the manufacturer. That "manufacturer" will come up as unknown to the ATF. That's OK.

As far as cone shapes... you want the air to have to change directions as much as possible when moving through an orifice (the hole the bullet goes through). ~60 degrees seems to be the magic number. You'll read about clipped cones too. That's a small cut near the hole that produces some sideways moving turbulence. Some people say it helps reduce dB, some don't notice a difference. Some people drill small holes in the sides of the cones for the same reason.

Spacers... you need a "blast chamber" near the muzzle. It helps reduce 1st round pop. Sometimes you need space just to clear the muzzle device or flash hider. I'm going to stack ~6-8 cone shaped plugs at the exit of my .22 can and a couple with spacers to make a blast chamber. The 1st blast chamber plug will be reversed (pointing towards the exit). I've read the 1st baffle inserted that way helps reduce "back" pressure going backwards into the gun.

Playing around with what baffles go where and what direction is part of the fun.

You're welcome to come squash freeze plugs in my die set. :ingo:
    Thanks for the info. I ordered this one and it should be here Wednesday. A buddy had a $50 off coupon code so with shipping and sales tax it was only $106.87. The assembly video is pretty straight forward but doesn't show them coning the freeze plugs.

[video=youtube_share;tObV47xxy3g]http://youtu.be/tObV47xxy3g[/video]

Will this be adequate for .223/5.56? I have a .22 can in jail right now on a form 4 and hope for it to be out in a couple of weeks. I'm looking at a direct screw on right now but am interested in a QD with a decent compensator. I just haven't found one yet that should work with this threading. Besides the trust name and address what else do I need to have engraved?
    I plan on filing the form 1 this weekend. Once I get the form 1 back I would love to squash some plugs!
    Dan

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Steel is fine for 5.56mm. I'm not sure about the pvc spacer.

It looks like they used flat plugs with vent holes. Cones work better from what I've read.

SDTactical makes muzzle devices and matching end caps but I'm not sure what thread pitch your tube will have.

My e-filed Trust form 1 took 3 months.

Top Bottom