• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nacelle

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2015
    Muncie
    If you're not familiar with the area, carrying concealed is the way to go. You have to be %100 sure that you won't be anywhere near a school. Carrying a gun, even with a permit, within 1000ft, will get you in trouble. You have to live in that state for the exemption to apply. It's a federal law.

Last edited:

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    Carrying a gun, even with a permit, within 1000ft, will get you in trouble. You have to live in that state for the exemption to apply. It's a federal law.

I keep hearing that thrown around on this site, but I'm calling shenanigans.

Last edited:

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort
    I keep hearing that thrown around on this site, but I'm calling shenanigans.

Schools are gun free zones via federal law. If you live within the state that the school is located in you are exempt. When traveling to other states if you stay on the freeways you are generally GTG but when when you start wandering around towns on the surface streets you can run into trouble when you get within a 1000' of a school zone. Keep it concealed and remember Ohio is a duty to inform state for tarry stops.

voidsherpa

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    NE
    18 USC 922 (q)(2)(A):
    United States Code: Title 18,922. Unlawful acts | LII / Legal Information Institute

Fed said:
    (2)
    (A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm—

(i) on private property not part of school grounds;

(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;

(iii) that is—
    (I) not loaded; and
    (II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;

Since I don't know where a single school is in Ohio, nor where they are IF/WHEN they are 1000' away from me, reasonable cause of what I cannot see? If somebody would please refer me to a case in which a person was charged solely in regards to this law, Till then SHENANIGANS.

Last edited:

Strike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Just to qualify the school zone thing a little, I was in Ohio a few days over the summer. We went to the zoo in Columbus and my wife got out to get tickets while I parked the car. I had her check for "no guns" signs (signs carry weight of law in OH). She told me she didn't see any. She purchased the tickets and I brought the kids up and we went into the zoo. I never looked at a ticket booth. I On the way out I saw the signs plastered on every ticket booth. I may or may not have carried the entire day at the zoo, and walked right past a Sheriff's deputy several times. I checked it out more closely when we got home, and a lot of places are considered school zones such as the zoo and some science museums. Check carefully for yourself before carrying into any place. I can only imagine the grief fighting those charges would be.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I made a beer run to Ohio yesterday, went to a Kroger store in Cleves, and Jungle Jims in Fairfeild, then ate at the Spaghetti Factory there in Fairfeild. Didn't notice any no gun signs at any of those three places, Kroger and Spaghetti factory for certain, could have missed it at Jungle Jims. Only saw one highway patrol car on 275, but I kept it at the speed limit the whole time. All in all it was a great trip, finally got some Yuengling Octoberfest, and scored 17 different beers I've never had from Jungle Jims! (since I've started living a healthier lifestyle, I go for quality over quantity with the beer now):):

Bung

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2012
    Anderson
    A) It shall be unlawful for any individual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise affects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.

How does the presence of a firearm affect commerce?

Top Bottom