• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I have looked at other threads trying to find information on this but didn't find anything so I'll give it a shot.

I am going to Cincinnati in a few weeks for Thanksgiving and want check out their (indoor) shooting ranges because I've heard they are a lot nicer than what we have here in Indy. I've tried reading over the law on handgunlaw.us and maybe I keep overlooking it but I didn't see anywhere about a nonresident transporting a gun (and if I can take it to a range with me). Obviously I wouldn't be carrying...

I'd rather be safe than sorry... Thanks in advance and sorry if this thread is already posted somewhere else

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have looked at other threads trying to find information on this but didn't find anything so I'll give it a shot.

I am going to Cincinnati in a few weeks for Thanksgiving and want check out their (indoor) shooting ranges because I've heard they are a lot nicer than what we have here in Indy. I've tried reading over the law on handgunlaw.us and maybe I keep overlooking it but I didn't see anywhere about a nonresident transporting a gun (and if I can take it to a range with me). Obviously I wouldn't be carrying...

I'd rather be safe than sorry... Thanks in advance and sorry if this thread is already posted somewhere else

Call 5 different county sheriffs' over in Ohio and ask....So you can get 5 different answers. :rolleyes:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Ohio's a beast for transporting a firearm. The firearm has to be separate from the ammo and, as I understand it, even the mags, (if it's a semi auto) have to be emptied. I would guess you could rent a piece at the range. It would certainly be less of a hassle than transporting your own.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Ohio's a beast for transporting a firearm. The firearm has to be separate from the ammo and, as I understand it, even the mags, (if it's a semi auto) have to be emptied. I would guess you could rent a piece at the range. It would certainly be less of a hassle than transporting your own.

http://handgunlaw.us/states/ohio.pdf
    Looks like there can be a loaded mag, out of the gun as long as it is in the trunk.

(ii) Any magazine or speed loader that contains ammunition and that may be used with the firearm in question is stored in a compartment within the vehicle in question that cannot be accessed without
    leaving the vehicle or is stored in a container that provides complete and separate enclosure.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Can't speak to the Utah license, but Ohio only recognises the AZ license if you're an actual resident of AZ. They DO NOT recognise the non-resident license. That's a bad way to get jacked up.

I did not realize that, but Ohio DOES honor the Utah license, resident or not.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    You can transport your gun by vehicle if you follow their unloaded and inaccessible rules.

Once you stop, you can get out, load it up and carry openly without a permit/license.

A permit/license is only required for concealing (which is what they also consider carrying in a vehicle).

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    You can transport your gun by vehicle if you follow their unloaded and inaccessible rules.

Once you stop, you can get out, load it up and carry openly without a permit/license.

A permit/license is only required for concealing (which is what they also consider carrying in a vehicle).

This is true, and I'll add since the OP mentioned cold weather holidays.. if you OC and put on a jacket and the jacket covers it, it becomes concealed so make sure your jacket doesn't cover it at all.

Plus what others have said about carrying in the car.

k201

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    This is true, and I'll add since the OP mentioned cold weather holidays.. if you OC and put on a jacket and the jacket covers it, it becomes concealed so make sure your jacket doesn't cover it at all.

Plus what others have said about carrying in the car.

That's good to hear.. I wish Indy or hamilton county had a quality indoor range. Thanks a lot everyone for the help!

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    when i lived in cincy during college the main range at that time that i went to was Target World... i know there are a few more now. What i did while living there (and without a permit) was have the gun in its case with empty mags in the back seat. and any ammo that i was taking to the range with me was in the trunk of the car. Or the other way around.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Can't speak to the Utah license, but Ohio only recognises the AZ license if you're an actual resident of AZ. They DO NOT recognise the non-resident license. That's a bad way to get jacked up.
    According to handgunlaw.us, OH recognizes Utah, and it does not stipulate that it must be a resident license (as it does with AZ).

Turfweazel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Target world as was said is ok, not great but it is a range. It is always busy. Shoot extreme has had a lot of good hype but I haven't been there myself. Yes Ohio honors Utah license I carry there often with my Utah.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I've taken my gun to a range in Cincinnati when visiting my parents. My car is a hatchback, so I can't keep it locked in a trunk. I basically just unload it, put a slide lock on it, and put it under the lift-up flooboard in my "trunk" and keep the ammo separate in the back seat area. There's a really nice new range called Point Blank indoor range in Blue Ash.

EAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    That's good to hear.. I wish Indy or hamilton county had a quality indoor range. Thanks a lot everyone for the help!

Who needs an indoor range? Get to an outdoor range in all weather conditions and test yourself where you will most likely use what you carry.

Top Bottom