• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Well its about 4:00 am, my bags are packed, the truck is loaded, Hopefully I haven't forgot anything. In about an hour I'll be hitting the road headed to Tx for a week of hog and predator hunting.
    The hunt doesn't actually start untill Mon. I plan on posting pics here on this thread through out the week to keep everyone updated. If I'm really lucky we will be seeing a mountain lion!
    Sure hope I'm sucessful, or this post could be a little embarrassing!
    To be continued.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Be sure to provide the details. Is this a private hunt with personal contacts/friends? Are you using a hunt club/service? If so, post the link. It would be great advertising and others may want to take advantage of the service/ company.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Well its about 4:00 am, my bags are packed, the truck is loaded, Hopefully I haven't forgot anything. In about an hour I'll be hitting the road headed to Tx for a week of hog and predator hunting.
    The hunt doesn't actually start untill Mon. I plan on posting pics here on this thread through out the week to keep everyone updated. If I'm really lucky we will be seeing a mountain lion!
    Sure hope I'm sucessful, or this post could be a little embarrassing!
    To be continued.

Good luck!

Substance-P

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 4, 2008
    Carmel
    Good luck and let us know how it goes. Hog hunting is my favorite (been to TN a couple of times). We were all set to go open range hunting in OK this year but had to cancel because some of the guys who were going had work conflicts that came up at the last minute. Would love to hear how your trip goes as I here TX has among the very best hog hunting out there.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    We pulled into Texas on say at 4pm eastern time 5 here, stayed the first night in Hillsboro , between Waco and a dallas. Nice Holliday inn, the people there were good to us very helpful. Had breakfast then went to wahl mart to get or license. Driver around a little and headed to austin then stopped at the Cabellas in Buda. Very nice store lots of mounts, picked up a few souveniers then went to san antionio looked around nut much into the big cities. We decided to go on out to Waelder where we will be hunting at first. This hung is a paid hunt part guided and part not. They guide you on the trophy hunt and you are on you own for the rest. This is at Home - Hunting Ranches in Texas | TX Wild Hog & Boar Hunts
    We will be hunting 3 days here, pigs during the day and predators at night. After that we are going to san jancinto to do a hunt on out own with some people we know.
    Wish us luck tomorrow

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    The guided hunt has no trophy fees and they claim that you are guaranteed to"get you cross hairs on" a minum 300 pounder. They also claim that many are averaging 500lbs. I'll know more tomorrow.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    ... We decided to go on out to Waelder where we will be hunting at first. ...

I know three of the cops in Waelder (I think there are only about four cops total), let me know if you need any harassment and I'll see what I can arrange. :D

Seriously, welcome to Texas and happy hunting!

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    ok folks, made it back Thursday evening. After 2520 miles, and 163 gallons of diesel fuel.
    First off if you dont read the rest of this post, let me tell you, DO NOT BOOK A HUNT FROM THES PLACE! THEY GO BY SEVERAL NAMES, HAVE MORE THAN ONE WEB SITE ARE LOCATED IN WAELDER TEXAS, PM ME IF YOU ARE NOT SURE. www.hoghuntinghoghunting.com
    When we arrived at the ranch (3:00pm) as expected we were given some ground rules by Eli (not the owner, just a ranch hand). No guns allowed in sleeping quarters, violators will be ejected with no refund! This was the first thing that went wrong. They give you some spill about how this guy came up two years ago and had a "accidental discharge" blew his own head off, permanant hearing damage to the two people next to him. I'm already starting to have doubts.
    Next, when night hunting go directly to and from your stand, no walking around because there are two bengal tigers on the property. A guy bought and paid for them two months ago at $60k a piece and never showed up to hunt them. They haven't been spotted in a while but they do find carcasses in trees that they have killed! Man is this guy for real?? His name should have been I lie not Eli. I askn about all the predators they talk obout on the web site "we haven't had any predators killed here in months" my blood instantly boils, thats the main reason I'm here!!
    Ok everyone get unpacked and we will have supper at 5:00, sight your guns in at 6:00 then at 7:00 we will take you to your stand for the first night hunt.
    Supper was meatloaf, mashed taters, corn, and salad. It was actually very good.
    Ok, 6:00 lets sight in our guns after the 1000+ mile journey.
    Ok, 6:30 lets sight in our guns after the 1000+ mile journey.
    Ok, its 6:45, I ask the other help "wheres Eli so we can sight our guns in?
    "Oh he's gone for the day I'll be taking you to your stand in just a minute"
    7:00 pm its dark in tx.
    Ok now we are in our stand, in the dark, with no idea of how the property lays or what is in front, behind, or on either side of us. I dont like this. We sit there for two hours... nothing. Then, here comes something, get ready, hit the lights!! WAIT DONT SHOOT!! Its 5 elk eating about two lbs of corn they had put out in front of us. Then 2 red stag come in, this is cool but we aint huntin elk or red stag, and all our bait is now gone. Lets get out of here.
    Next morning we goto the same stand for 2 hrs more elk and fallow deer. Back for breakfast then from 10:00 till 1:00 we do a spot and stalk. 17 people split into 3 groups and get in line standing beside of one another, and circle the property in a pin wheel fashion. For 3 hrs, not one living pig is spotted by anyone! But there were literally hundreds of dead pigs that had been shot and lost or just left. HUNDREDS!! Guess what, there aint no pigs here, we find out that in the 2 previous days a large group from Mn had killed 27 hogs. They sent 17 guys out there walking for 3 hrs knowing there were no pigs!! I get one of the young workers drunk that night on some of my homemade wine and get the truth. There has never been an accident on the ranch, there are of course no bengal tigers, and all the pigs were killed over the weekend, and the ground is too wet to get to the traps in the surronding area where the fresh pigs are!
    We dont waste our time with the morning hunt. After breakfast they release 6 pigs they are of course all killed in the first stalk hunt of the day. I did actually see 5 of these. But no clear shot.
    Ok more pigs are brought in later that day, (all pigs are actually wild pigs, just trapped at other places and brought here) my buddy gets one, so things are getting better.
    This is getting long i'm gonna continue it

Top Bottom