• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    So after supper that evening a guide approaches us in a jeep and says "you ready?"
    "ready for what"
    him: "Your trophy hunt"
    We had paid for a trophy hunt package, I tell him that I still hadn't sighted in my gun and would really like to, Its about 6:00 pm not a lot of day light and I dont want to do this hunt in the dark!
    He lets me use his 7mm mag garantees its dead on. Ok if you garantee it.
    They take me and my buddy out to a spot where the pigs were last seen ( and I really believe they had gps trackers on them as they were using there iphones to find them)
    There it is and its BIG my buddy is first, he shoots and the big hog drops like a ton of bricks! His 7mm mag done its job. As we approach BAM just like it was startled from a deep sleep its back up and coming this way, SHOOT IT! Two more shots and its finished, we gather around and our guide toutches it on the eyeball to make sure its dead, it takes its last breath at that moment! The guide thought he had his last breath, he jumped and yelled it was the funniest moment of the whole trip! But none the less the pig was dead!
    Ok daylight is dwindling and I gotta get my trophy, we'll come back for this later.
    Ok there it is 70 yards out behind some trees, I circle around to about 40 yards to get a shot, put the rifle on my shooting stick, cross hairs on its neck squeeze. The first thing I get is a loud ringing in my left ear and I'm nearly deaf. The gun had a compensator on it and it was literally deafening. Luckily the pig is down, its kicking, flailing, squaling, trying to get up, but with the pain I have in my left ear I din't want to pull the trigger again, so what do I do? Maybe not the smartest thing in the world but I aint pulling that trigger and I sure aint about to let him get away. I run up on him pull out my Ontario Spec Plus Marine and stab him right in the heart! Yes this was a RUSH! I sliced downward pulled out the knife, his heart pumped about twice and it was over.
    530 pounds!
    If not for the climactic finish I would have cancelled the payment on my cc
    2012-02-07192158.jpg

2012-02-07213249.jpg

2012-02-07214238.jpg

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    There are ALOT more details to this hunt none of it good We did not get what we paid for.
    The septic system was not up to parr, or non existent, sewage was backing up into the shower house, I didnt shower from sun. until wed night when we got a hotel!! They had a pump that took the gray water to a sprinkler head out behind the shower house and sprayed it out in the field, when this came on it stunk up the entire camp like raw sewage!
    We killed a 500+ lbs hog, a 480+ lbs hog, one that was 135 and one that was 165, over 1300 pounds total. We had a deep freeze in the back of the truck, the kids working there loaded our meat while wwe were packing to leave ( hogs were skinned, quartered, and de-boned)
    and this is our own fault but when we got to our place we were going to have the meat processed here at home, there was a total of 325 POUNDS OF MEAT!!! WHAT HAPPENED TO OUR MEAT??? And some of it wasn't our meat! We could tell because it was wrapped and in the freezer a total of 30 hours and it was freezer burned!!
    I could go on and on but I'm tired of typing.
    On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being the best I give the place a 1.
    Just read their web page, it sounds so good, no where is a fence mentioned, predators everywhere!! False
    www.hoghuntinghoghunting.com

Last edited:

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Even if you don't like to eat it, donate it to the shelter Kitchen, they would turn them to food for the hungry.
    Harrison county doesn't have a shelter, and theres nothing to donate!
    325 pounds split between me and my buddy, after the processor gets done... what do you think will be left? Not to shoot you down dtkw, thats a great suggestion. But there is no shelter in m area, if I dont like it I will give it away or take it to some of the vet/mc rallies this summer.
    I took the sausage seasoning to the processor tonight for him to make sausage, he told me there are no hams, one set of ribs, no spare ribs, one tender loin, and one shoulder(in my meat, not counting my buddies). I killed two pigs, that means 4 hams, at least3 sets of ribs and spare ribs (the smaller pig was shot with a 7mm mag in the chest) 4 shoulders, and four tender loins. We got Fked! What do you do? One guy from Chicago suggested we come back in the middle of the night and open the gate, they gave us the combination and no one monitors it. It's 2011 if anyone is curious. There's probably nearly 1/4 mil $ of exotics there. Can you imagine going down the road at 60 mph and hitting a cape buffalo?

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I think thats the same place I went to a few years back, we didn't get hosed as bad as you but the elk and stag eating your bait sounds about right. We killed a few small pigs but the most memorable moment was the trip down. Five of us in my lifted excursion pulling a 28ft trailer. We found out around Louisville that we had the weight in the trailer distributed poorly and almost rolled because of it, then blew two tires on the trailer between there and Dallas! it was a white knuckle ride for 26 hours:n00b: haha

BSUrugger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 97%
    32   1   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Behind the reticle
    I'm really sorry your experience was poor. However, I am really glad you posted your experience here. I had a hog hunt planned for this past October with a bunch of my friends. The site sounded promising, however further investigation dug up that it was full of false promises. We actually spoke directly to guy who went to hunt right before us and told us to not waste our money. So, each of us lost our $100 deposit. But it was worth losing the deposit rather than paying more money not to shoot or take anything.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow, that is an ugly report, that's a terrible way to spend your vacation and $$.

I did some googling for Waelder hog hunting after reading it, and ran across some interesting reports.

Was the name of the main guy at the ranch Paul Candelaria by any chance?

Note that some of the links below mention Gonzales, TX. Gonzales is the county seat of Gonzales County, where the ranch is. Waelder is about 17 miles north of Gonzalez on Highway 97. The ranch is on this road between Gonzales and Waelder.

Pasedena TX, mentioned in some of the links below, is near Houston, and apparently where Candelaria actually lives.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=3282
    Pasadena couple accused of cheating hunters - Houston Chronicle
    https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2010/011110wildhog_pop.pdf
    https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2010/011110wildhog_tro.pdf

New fella here with questions about www.wildhoghunttexas.com Paul Candelaria - Texas Hunting Forum

PAUL CANDELARIA ..... busted finally! - 2CoolFishing
    North American Outfitters Testimonials - OUTDOORSMAN.com forums
    WildHogHunt (wildhoghunt.com) Paul Candelaria - DeerTexas.com Forum

You might also be interested in this link: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Not to rain on your soaked parade, but the ears on the hog sure look notched to me. Tell me I'm just seeing something, or he was quite the fighting boar and some tusks tore into him? No 'wild' hog would have notches in its ears.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    Not to rain on your soaked parade, but the ears on the hog sure look notched to me. Tell me I'm just seeing something, or he was quite the fighting boar and some tusks tore into him? No 'wild' hog would have notches in its ears.

Could have gone feral. Only takes a year or so on a hog. It clearly has a domestic lineage.

NDhunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    North Central IN
    Could have gone feral. Only takes a year or so on a hog. It clearly has a domestic lineage.

People are free to hunt however they want and reap whatever benefits they want from hunting, I could care less as long as it is legal (not questioning the OP here at all, just prefacing my question).

BUT:

I'm glad this thread come up, a Texas hog hunt is on my to do list. My question is, at what stage does a domestic pig become 'feral'? Is it purely a date range? 365 days as he says as a rough estimate, or when it runs from people from a set distance?

When I go, I don't want to go to all of the time, money and effort to shoot an ear notched, Hampshire-appearing hog that was let loose some months before. :twocents:

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    People are free to hunt however they want and reap whatever benefits they want from hunting, I could care less as long as it is legal (not questioning the OP here at all, just prefacing my question).

BUT:

I'm glad this thread come up, a Texas hog hunt is on my to do list. My question is, at what stage does a domestic pig become 'feral'? Is it purely a date range? 365 days as he says as a rough estimate, or when it runs from people from a set distance?

When I go, I don't want to go to all of the time, money and effort to shoot an ear notched, Hampshire-appearing hog that was let loose some months before. :twocents:

I didn't mention it earlier but I lived in TX for 3 years and I do have an acquaintance there that does guided hunts. Don't think the property he uses is fenced either. I'll give him a call and see if he is still doing it.

71silverbullet

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Oct 30, 2010
    Southern, In
    Yes this was the place, thank you for this info it will be a huge help on building my case for getting my money back. Mr. Candelaria has contacted me and admitted that they're were no hogs on the first day of our hunt and offered me a free hunt, I did not accept. Wish I would have seen this a month ago.
    Wow, that is an ugly report, that's a terrible way to spend your vacation and $$.

I did some googling for Waelder hog hunting after reading it, and ran across some interesting reports.

Was the name of the main guy at the ranch Paul Candelaria by any chance?

Note that some of the links below mention Gonzales, TX. Gonzales is the county seat of Gonzales County, where the ranch is. Waelder is about 17 miles north of Gonzalez on Highway 97. The ranch is on this road between Gonzales and Waelder.

Pasedena TX, mentioned in some of the links below, is near Houston, and apparently where Candelaria actually lives.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/oagnews/release.php?id=3282
    Pasadena couple accused of cheating hunters - Houston Chronicle
    https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2010/011110wildhog_pop.pdf
    https://www.oag.state.tx.us/newspubs/releases/2010/011110wildhog_tro.pdf

New fella here with questions about www.wildhoghunttexas.com Paul Candelaria - Texas Hunting Forum

PAUL CANDELARIA ..... busted finally! - 2CoolFishing
    North American Outfitters Testimonials - OUTDOORSMAN.com forums
    WildHogHunt (wildhoghunt.com) Paul Candelaria - DeerTexas.com Forum

You might also be interested in this link: https://www.oag.state.tx.us/

Top Bottom