Going to the Wisconsin Dells: what are some must do's?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Hey guys and gals, the wife and kid and I are heading up to the Dells this fall with my in-laws for a few days. We've got a nice cabin we're staying in, it's going to be a nice weekend. but what are some suggestions for some good activities up there? I don't like 100% winging it with the "we will do what we want when we get there"... because doing that we generally just chill wherever we are staying and don't do much of anything at all. so, what are your suggestions? it can be anything, good restaurants, go kart track, water parks, heck, because it's INGO i'll even accept gun shops and firing ranges ;-) so what says yee, INGO?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Been too many years since the Dells for me to recommend anything that is still there, but the boat rides, and duck trips through the Dells were fantastic!

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Definatly do the duck trip... I think they probably have some sort of canoe, or rafting trips you could do as well.

There are some really neat hiking trails that you could hike in and make lunch of a scratch built fire.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    1) Buy Summer Sausage and cheese in bulk.
    2) Bring back to Indiana.
    3) Host an INGO party.

I haven't been there in a long time but have fond memories of family trips to the Dells as a child.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Wisconson cheese is over rated.... most of it is manufactured commercially anyways. If I HAD to choose I would buy the commercial amish stuff locally and keep my "cheese budget" in Indiana.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Ducks. House on the Rock. Take a swig with Nig. Seriously, there's a bar up there with that slogan. Bring us back some cheese curds.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    I forgot to mention my son is one... so that may reduce some of the things we can do. I need to get one of those hiking packs. I bet he'd love that.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the boat ride and the hiking are both things you can still do. even the lunch over a fire if your wife is into that sort of stuff.... rafting and canoeing are probably out though.

Work

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Lafayette
    Drive around Illinois to get there.

No kidding. still need to call them to find out what extent I need to go to to drive my gun through there. "yeah, we're going to need you to pull the slide, store the frame, barrel, and ammo all in different compartments, put a plug in the barrel, just in case, and pay us a $50 fine." Thank goodness Wisconsin is a little more friendly.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Without a doubt you have to take the duck rides or boat rides on the river, you get to see some very cool glens and wooded hiking areas, they used to have some genuine Chippewa Dance performances, not sure they are still there. Tommy Bartlett Water Show was cool...several fantastic water parks....go and have fun. Ebloa won't go to Wisconsin, doesn't like the snow.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Very serious about "House on the Rock", though. You have to go out in the countryside some, but the house itself is absolutely fascinating, and the museum will turn your mind to confetti. Seriously, I have a pretty big brain and it was almost fatal for me. I would have died happy. Blissfully happy.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    My son, sister and I went about 6 years ago. Absolutely had a great time!. One of those package hotel/water park things. And as others have said definitely do the Original Ducks! Just a great experience. We also did the other Duck ride.
    Did a riverboat tour that was very cool.

Top Bottom