• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Wonder what the solid information on roadway hazards are.

I was driving past that golf course on SR19 in Noblesville and a golf ball flies right in front of my car. I did a u-turn, and got the ball and took it home, it landed across the street in the grass. The speed limit is 45 on that stretch of road. Golf course has no netting or anything, and is right up against the road.

I have no doubt they are liable for the ball hitting my car, but who would I have to talk to if nobody admits doing it, and there are multiple people. Do you go after the golf course itself?

Next, last week a guy was mowing the grass, and I was on a 50 MPH road. I had my windows down and he had his blades with the shooter pointing TOWARDS the road. 2 pieces of gravel flew into my window, one hit me in the cheek, and another hit my sunglasses. They were range safety glasses, so not a problem, no damage.

But in any case, people mowing the city easements are responsible for any debris flying at a vehicle right? And any medical bills if I was not wearing safety glasses and the gravel hit me in the eye? Whenever I mow the easement I ALWAYS disengage the blades when a car passes, and if there is too much traffic to do that, I always make sure to point the shooter towards the inside, not the outside which takes most of the risk away.

And finally, dump trucks. They always have those stickers stay back 200 feet, not responsible for broken windshields. Well we all know 200 feet isn't enough, and they get on the highway and spew crap everywhere. I was told by my drivers ed instructor back in HS that those stickers are only there to deter people from reporting the damage. But they, just like anyone else, are responsible for any damages to vehicles. I have damage to my hood, but not to my windshield. I didn't notice it until I saw a speck of rust where the paint chipped, it's very tiny, you got to get really close. I want to know if the next time I get sprayed by gravel ( which I was 2 lanes over actually, it just bounced all down the highway ), if I can report my hood damage and use the DOT # on the dump truck, or whatever number they have on the side.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    If paying for the damages you do is a perfect world, then, yea? I would expect if I hit someones window with a baseball to pay for it. Golf balls, lawn mower hitting up debris, and gravel from a dump truck are all accidents that have no malice involved, but they still should be held responsible, right? You don't just assume there is an inherent risk involved to your vehicle by flying objects when driving on the road, that is just chalked up to your vehicle's character lol.

And a lot of these things are just caused by stupidity. You don't mow the easement with your blades pointing towards the road. Anything you hit is going to hit a car passing by. You also don't drive a ball when you should be putting (sp?)... that's probably someone who had their kids out playing golf with them whacking the ball as hard as they could.

Dump trucks are just plain evil. No way to fix them, they should just carry a lot of insurance and be easier to report, require them to have license plates on the back bumper or something.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    In a perfect world, folks would be responsible for their actions: intentional or negligent.

But, that's why we pay for insurance. To fix both our own and others' mistakes.

Construction and lawn care trucks/trailers annoy me, too. They don't even TRY to clean up before hitting the road, and expect me to dodge their debris. When I take the Jeep off-road, I routinely hit a car-wash to blast the worst off before taking a major road.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    In a perfect world, folks would be responsible for their actions: intentional or negligent.

But, that's why we pay for insurance. To fix both our own and others' mistakes.

Construction and lawn care trucks/trailers annoy me, too. They don't even TRY to clean up before hitting the road, and expect me to dodge their debris. When I take the Jeep off-road, I routinely hit a car-wash to blast the worst off before taking a major road.

I've never really dealt with my insurance company before... I figured there would be a deductible I would have to pay, so I never even call them when I get hit with gravel.
    I have USAA for automotive insurance, and I have full coverage.
    I should give them a call and just ask about all my options :rolleyes:

I hate lawn care trucks too. One time I had a bucket fly out from the truck when it was in front of me, I think we were going 60. I was able to safely avoid it though. If we were in traffic, I would of had to let it smack right into me. Who leaves stacks of buckets loose lol?

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I've never really dealt with my insurance company before... I figured there would be a deductible I would have to pay, so I never even call them when I get hit with gravel.
    I have USAA for automotive insurance, and I have full coverage.
    I should give them a call and just ask about all my options :rolleyes:

I hate lawn care trucks too. One time I had a bucket fly out from the truck when it was in front of me, I think we were going 60. I was able to safely avoid it though. If we were in traffic, I would of had to let it smack right into me. Who leaves stacks of buckets loose lol?
    92, I have USAA, too and have filed for damage to my vehicle from hail. That's covered the same as road hazards as far as I know. You will be responsible for the deductible (mine's $500) but they usually cover everything else. If you get the license number of a truck that damages your vehicle by dropping its cargo all over the place, you can report them to the cops and then contact them to cover your damages. They are responsible for any damage they cause, regardless of what their signage may say (like stores are responsible for damage caused by their carts).

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I know for a fact that a badly sliced drive will bounce right of the windshield of a Buick coming towards me doing 35 mph. And the apartment complex next to a golf course carries insurance for badly sliced drives that go through a sliding glass door.

I finally figured out that since I can't put sights on my driver, I need to stick to guns.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Heck, I've had a weed wacker come loose and hit the road. It didn't survive its encounter with my Jeep. It was (past tense) a nice Stihl. Karma in the works.

At least your golfer lost a stroke. :D

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Wonder what the solid information on roadway hazards are.

I was driving past that golf course on SR19 in Noblesville and a golf ball flies right in front of my car. I did a u-turn, and got the ball and took it home, it landed across the street in the grass. The speed limit is 45 on that stretch of road. Golf course has no netting or anything, and is right up against the road.

I have no doubt they are liable for the ball hitting my car, but who would I have to talk to if nobody admits doing it, and there are multiple people. Do you go after the golf course itself?

Next, last week a guy was mowing the grass, and I was on a 50 MPH road. I had my windows down and he had his blades with the shooter pointing TOWARDS the road. 2 pieces of gravel flew into my window, one hit me in the cheek, and another hit my sunglasses. They were range safety glasses, so not a problem, no damage.

But in any case, people mowing the city easements are responsible for any debris flying at a vehicle right? And any medical bills if I was not wearing safety glasses and the gravel hit me in the eye? Whenever I mow the easement I ALWAYS disengage the blades when a car passes, and if there is too much traffic to do that, I always make sure to point the shooter towards the inside, not the outside which takes most of the risk away.

And finally, dump trucks. They always have those stickers stay back 200 feet, not responsible for broken windshields. Well we all know 200 feet isn't enough, and they get on the highway and spew crap everywhere. I was told by my drivers ed instructor back in HS that those stickers are only there to deter people from reporting the damage. But they, just like anyone else, are responsible for any damages to vehicles. I have damage to my hood, but not to my windshield. I didn't notice it until I saw a speck of rust where the paint chipped, it's very tiny, you got to get really close. I want to know if the next time I get sprayed by gravel ( which I was 2 lanes over actually, it just bounced all down the highway ), if I can report my hood damage and use the DOT # on the dump truck, or whatever number they have on the side.

Since the golf ball didn't hit your car, why worry about it? I had a golf ball hit a County truck I was driving years ago. Hit the lower headlight and found it in the engine compartment. Insurance said it was an act of God.?
    As for dump trucks, the "stay back" signs mean nothing. Leaky/ untarped loads are a hazard and most times the company will pay off.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Since the golf ball didn't hit your car, why worry about it? I had a golf ball hit a County truck I was driving years ago. Hit the lower headlight and found it in the engine compartment. Insurance said it was an act of God.?
    As for dump trucks, the "stay back" signs mean nothing. Leaky/ untarped loads are a hazard and most times the company will pay off.

We have people claim that we did damage of some sort to their vehicle etc all the time just to try to get something fixed that was already damaged. The only way to get "payed off" is to prove that we did the damage. If You run over a rock in the road and it flips up and hits my car are you going to "pay off?"

As for untarped, leaky loads I completely agree. Negligence should cost you.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Ahahhaha yes, I meant DUMP trucks, not dumb trucks! :ingo:

92, I have USAA, too and have filed for damage to my vehicle from hail. That's covered the same as road hazards as far as I know. You will be responsible for the deductible (mine's $500) but they usually cover everything else. If you get the license number of a truck that damages your vehicle by dropping its cargo all over the place, you can report them to the cops and then contact them to cover your damages. They are responsible for any damage they cause, regardless of what their signage may say (like stores are responsible for damage caused by their carts).

Thanks, and yep I have the same deductible it turns out. I didn't want to get an estimate for the hood, I don't have $500 to spend on that. Hail damage is worse since it covers your entire vehicle and can crack your glass. I always park in the garage when I know it is going to hail, but still doesn't save me if I go to work though. Lucky no hail damage yet.

Since the golf ball didn't hit your car, why worry about it?

That was just me talking. Just wondering what happens IF it hit my car, since it came pretty close. I drive that way all the time, so I am sure at one point I will get hit with a golf ball. I would rather get an idea of what to do in the event it happens, before it happens :D

I know for a fact that a badly sliced drive will bounce right of the windshield of a Buick coming towards me doing 35 mph. And the apartment complex next to a golf course carries insurance for badly sliced drives that go through a sliding glass door.

I finally figured out that since I can't put sights on my driver, I need to stick to guns.

The only place I have ever hit a ball like that was a driving range, that way I didn't have to worry about any of that! LOL

Heck, I've had a weed wacker come loose and hit the road. It didn't survive its encounter with my Jeep. It was (past tense) a nice Stihl. Karma in the works.

At least your golfer lost a stroke.

Glad I am not the only one things fly at!:cool:

Out of everything, the mower is the one that I am scared of the most. Every time I drive by a person mowing I am going to go way to the left and roll my windows up from now on. That freaking HURT getting hit with a little rock in the face. But it appears if they damage your vehicle, that is smalls claims court since it's a person not in an automobile that did the damage.

Last edited:

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    I've had things come loose from dump trucks and strike my cars... Thankfully they did no damage that I could see.

That said - how does one prove that said debris came from the dump truck? Unless it's blatantly obvious that things are flying off I really don't see any way one could prove it unless they had a high resolution dash camera that was able to catch such a small fast-moving projectile.

Top Bottom