• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hey INGO,

Need some help from the golfers put there.

Situation: my little brother in law is interested in getting into golf. He does not have any clubs at this time, and I don't have any extra sets laying around in anymore.

I used to play a lot and be up on current equipment...fast forward about four years and I haven't got to play much and I have be completely disconnected from equipment.

Question: can you give me a quick run down some of the best values on used, extremely forgiving beginners clubs?

I am trying to put together some sticks for him to start with this spring. I am totally fine with older equipment (for example: Cally X-18s, Cobra Speed driver) unless there are newer equipment out there that is some much more worth it.

For perceptive, I have some numbers in mind. Am I way off on finding some decent starter sticks for him with this?

Driver: under $100, Irons: $150ish or under, Woods/hybrids: $75ish or so. I have extra wedges and putters laying around.

In my bag: Ping G15 driver and 3 wood, Cally 5 wood, Nike CPR hybrid, Cally X-20 irons, Cleveland CG14 wedges, Scotty Newport

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Don't spend money on a beginner set. It isn't worth it since he won't be able to hit any real golf shots. He won't get the benefits that come with a decent set of clubs.

I bought a complete brand new set of no name graphite clubs on e-bay a few years back for $60. Add a bag for $50 a couple of boxes of balls and I'm all in for just over $125.

I'd recommend that route. Once he gets a better feel for his game he can look at something more customized.

Last edited:

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Don't spend money on a beginner set. It isn't worth it since he won't be able to hit any real golf shots. He won't get the benefits that come with a decent set of clubs.

I bought a complete brand new set of no name graphite clubs on e-bay a few years back for $60. Add a bag for $50 a couple of boxes of balls and I'm all in for just over $125.

I'd recommend that route. Once he gets a better feel for his game he can look at something more customized.

Thanks for the response - appreciate it.

I have considered the el-cheapo Walmart style set, but I am trying to avoid that. By spending an extra hundred or two now, he can get sticks that will last him a little longer, plus maybe get some benefits of name brand clubs fro the beginning.

In my opinion, I would rather start him in used, name brand stuff that is maybe 5 years old, than a no name route that comes in box.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Dunhams and Dicks usually have some pretty good sales starting in a few weeks. Look into a set of Adams Idea Irons. Great set for a beginner. Look into the bottom heavy sets. They tend to be a bit more forgiving.

I started with something very similar to this >>http://www.ebay.com/itm/ADAMS-IDEA-SUPER-S-IRON-SET-WOW-LOOK-/351347212541

I never felt a need for a better club. I used them for about 5 years until I quit playing. Couldn't afford golf and shooting.

Last edited:

golfinfool

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Brazil, Indiana
    I assemble clubs and regrip all the time and have people constantly asking me about clubs. I have bought clubs for alot of guys at work from a website 2ndswing.com they have pretty good deals on used clubs. You should be able to pick up a decent set of Calloway irons around 150-200 depending on the age. I'm about a 5 handicap and still shoot with a set of Lynx Black Cat irons that are about 20 yrs old. Just dont pick up a beginner set from wally world or someplace like that. Its much better to get an older set of name brand clubs, they are alot more forgiving and will last a long time.

Top Bottom