• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I've got a question for those who are knowlegeable of golf equipment.

I know nothing of golf, so I must ask this question of the hive.....My son turns 12 in about a week. He's 5'2" tall and light weight for his height but very athletic. He wants a golf set. My budget is $150 to $250. I'd like a complete set, with woods, irons, putter, and bag. I'd like it to be of decent quality that he can enjoy for 2 or 3 years. By then we'll know if he's really into it, or not, and if he needs a better, more expensive set.

Any suggestions would be great! I prefer not to shop at Dick's Sporting Goods, but understand they may have the best set for the money. I'll reluctantly go there, if necessary.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't know if they still make "women's" clubs, but that's what my first set was. I was a little too big for a kid's set, but not quite big enough for a full size set. I used it for a couple of years before I grew into a full size. Just something to keep in mind.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    ^^ This.
    Consider finding a used set of women's.
    Are there any group lessons available in your area?

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    I don't know if they still make "women's" clubs, but that's what my first set was. I was a little too big for a kid's set, but not quite big enough for a full size set. I used it for a couple of years before I grew into a full size. Just something to keep

^^ This.
    Consider finding a used set of women's.
    Are there any group lessons available in your area?
    He'll get lessons soon, starting at a local course, but then he'll play for his school team in the fall, I'm sure. Those kids on that team are almost all beginners, most of whom will have never touched a club.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    He'll get lessons soon, starting at a local course, but then he'll play for his school team in the fall, I'm sure. Those kids on that team are almost all beginners, most of whom will have never touched a club.
    Maybe sign up for the lessons and let the pro answer your questions?
    I trust the hive, but if your going to do the lessons anyway why not ask them

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Found this...appears to have good reviews. Dicks sells it, but so does Amazon and others. Amazon is 20 bucks cheaper than Dicks....He's 62" tall and these are said to be for 64"-67". My boys have typically started to really grow in 8th grade, so he'd be just below the lower end for a year.

Thoughts?

Amazon product ASIN B07FX7267W

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009
    You might find this interesting

I had a set of forged clubs bent to fit my stance. 2° flat. It made a huge difference in my swing. Probably any golf or pro shop has the machine to bend the hosel.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Found this...appears to have good reviews. Dicks sells it, but so does Amazon and others. Amazon is 20 bucks cheaper than Dicks....He's 62" tall and these are said to be for 64"-67". My boys have typically started to really grow in 8th grade, so he'd be just below the lower end for a year.

Thoughts?

Wow, that's a lot nicer than my first set with the powder blue club heads on the woods. :): :gheyhi: That looks like a nice set.

DCR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2009

Thoughts?

Interesting. They wouldn't be my preference in club selection, but these could work very well. My first set I bought off the local pro, used. I got quite a deal.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Check out used clubs. I bought mine used for like $120 and lucked out. I'm a lefty and the shop I bought them from specialized in used clubs. One of my old customers was Swing Science. They made high end carbon fiber shafts.

The "graphite" shaft clubs the guy showed me had the Swing Science brand on them. He said they were a very good Ping Knockoff head and some "no name" shaft. He'd even throw in a free putter if I took them off his hands. It was all I could do to stay cool. I couldnt get my wallet out fast enough.

And the funny thing, is the Swing Science HQ was a 5 minute drive from the dude's store up behind the Castleton Lowes. :):

Top Bottom