• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    I've got an FFL acquantance that's willing to sell my son and I any new Savage rifle at his cost, and I'm looking for input on what to choose. I'm pretty clueless on rifle selection, having grown up only needing a 12 gauge or 22 to hunt deer, rabbit, squirrels, so apologies for my ignorance. My son is 13 and would like to get into coyote hunting, and I'm thinking it might be a good time to pick something up with the pending changes to deer hunting regulations in Indiana. I was thinking maybe a 243 to use next deer season if the changes are confirmed, and for plugging the occasional coyote. My son is wanting to buy his own with his savings and I'm not rich, so cost of the rifle and the cost/availability of ammo would be a concern.

If I should be looking at a different caliber, feel free to suggest and explain why. In the small amount of research I've done it looks like the 110 model is pretty solid, so I was thinking maybe the 110/111/116 Trophy Hunter packages with Nikon 3-9x40 BDC reticle scope included.

Savage Arms
    Savage Arms
    Savage Arms

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I just purchased the 110 you are looking at in 30'06. Over all it is a great look and feel of a rifle. However, the following things annoy the hell out of me about it:
    The walnut stock is pretty cheap. The area that looks like there are crossbolts is really just painted black.
    The "bottom metal" is actually pretty flimsy plastic.
    The trigger guard is plastic.

If I'm not mistaken, this will be the case for the 111 also.

That being said, I think the rifle is pretty awesome. The Nikon scope package is the way to go.

anifong

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Marshall County, IN
    Thanks! I appreciate the input, that's slightly disappointing - was just debating whether I wanted the pretty but heavier wood or just go with the lighter synthetic. With your input I may just go with the synthetic stock and stainless barrel. Can you use the 30-06 for anything in Indiana?

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    With Savages, two digit models (10, 11, etc) are short actions and three digit models (110, 111, etc) are long actions.

I would recommend the 11 Trophy Predator Hunter XP, or the 11 Trophy Hunter XP, in 243 Winchester or 6.5 Creedmoor. Unfortunately, Savage had a $75 rebate on these rifles that ended on 12/31...

I absolutely would not get a 30-06 if a 13 year old will be using the rifle, unless you reload and are willing to use reduced charges with 110-130gr bullets.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I really like my 10FP. But it is a heavy barrel, and I mean heavy. I wouldn't want to lug it around all over the place.
    A little warning about the bigger calibers in the synthetic stocks, I had a 110 in a synthetic stock that was .30-06 and it would beat the heck out of you.

midget, look over on Savage Shooters - Home I can't remember his name, but, there was a gunsmith/gunstore owner/ etc that was selling the bottom end (trigger guard,floor plate etc.) that were made of metal. I don't remember what all models it covered.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    The Trophy Hunter package guns have the Axis-style bottom "metal" molded into the plastic stock...so if you wanted to swap everything to steel, you'd actually also need a new stock.

midget

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Leo
    I really like my 10FP. But it is a heavy barrel, and I mean heavy. I wouldn't want to lug it around all over the place.
    A little warning about the bigger calibers in the synthetic stocks, I had a 110 in a synthetic stock that was .30-06 and it would beat the heck out of you.

midget, look over on Savage Shooters - Home I can't remember his name, but, there was a gunsmith/gunstore owner/ etc that was selling the bottom end (trigger guard,floor plate etc.) that were made of metal. I don't remember what all models it covered.

Yep... ~180$

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I just bought a trophy hunter in .308. The stock is not walnut. It is "wood" as they describe it and stained walnut.

The scope is Nikon but not the Prostaff I assumed it was. A bit lower quality. You just missed the $75 rebate they had on them. Overall a good value. After rebate I have just over $500 in it.

If I were to do over I might just go with the Axis II, add a boyd stock, and a better scope and be around same $$$

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    I have read elsewhere the scope is in fact a ProStaff, but is an older (ie. non-current) model...?

Is there a model/sku number or anything on the bottom of the scope itself?

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    I would either buy a cheap model and leave as-is, and expect 1.25-2 MOA accuracy. For most shooting, frankly, that is good enough. Personally unless budget really dictated I would not buy the Axis because it is too cheapened.

Alternatively, buy the basic Savage in 243, two-digit model (10/11/12, all the same action). Upgrade as finances allow. You can get a nice Boyds laminate stock for about $160. Spend $20 in pillars and bedding material, read some internet instructions and pillar bed it yourself -- how probably down to .75-1.25 MOA. You can replace the crappy plastic bottom "metal" with actual metal.

heatman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2012
    Sheridan
    I have read elsewhere the scope is in fact a ProStaff, but is an older (ie. non-current) model...?

Is there a model/sku number or anything on the bottom of the scope itself?

Nothing on it says Prostaff. Bottom says 3-9x40 k1999153 which I assume is serial #. Made in philippines. turret caps are different and need screwdriver to adjust. Probably a cheaper scope made just for Savage.

After 1st range trip put on a Vortex Crossfire II. MUCH better scope.

pgfrmr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 30, 2012
    Fishers
    I've owned a Model 11 Lightweight hunter in .243 for a few seasons now. It is extremely accurate for a short barrel and super light weight. .243 is a great all around coyote-deer caliber and fairly cheap to buy ammo for or reload. Really soft shooting also.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    Any of those rifles you listed OP will do the job just fine. But I would recommend going with the 243 especially for your son. Its a great fast flat shooting round that will take down anything he will need it to plus it wont kick him like a 3 legged ninja. An there are plenty of factory ammo options if you don't reload.

seawolfxix

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 14, 2009
    Kansas City
    I am no expert on rifles, but part of the reason why I purchased the 11/111 FCNS was because it had the AccuStock, and it definitely has MOA accuracy with the right ammo.

Mine is a .308, but sometimes I wish that it was a .243.

Top Bottom