Gonna try a baitcaster again. Suggestions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Looking to upgrade my lightweight fishing gear to start to go after some largemouth.

I tried a cheap baitcaster earlier in the season and after 15 minutes of practicing in the yard, I got tired of line CONSTANT backlash no matter what I did. So I returned it.

After loading my spinning rod with new 15lb mono and getting the rod so tangled I had to take the boat back to the dock after only 5 minutes of fishing. Researching, I discovered that mono line has memory, and if you dont wet the line after its on the reel and let it dry, it wont take the memory of the reel and will try to return to the 4" loops from the package. Sure enough after wetting it, the next day the reel was fine. Now I wonder if that was my problem with the baitcaster and I'm going to try again. Because even after the practice plug would hit the dirt, I'd watch the backlash slowly grow on the stationary spool.

I dont want to break the bank, so how is this for an entry level combo? Im only out on the water a couple times a month, and am more about the relaxation of fishing than worrying about catching lots of fish.

It checks all the boxes that I've seen recommended on youtube (medium heavy with a fast tip, and a 6/1 gearing)

And does braided line have the same memory issues as straight monofilament? Because watching various videos they recommend braided 25+ over mono so I figured I'd go that route. .

Any other suggestions?

EDIT: Also, feel free to suggest what baits you have good luck in coaxing monsters out from the cover. So far I cant get anything bigger than immature 7 inchers and smaller to strike.
    I'll be glad to give you a "baitcaster 101" class. I'll have you using one in 10 minutes like you've been using one all your life. It's an easy skillset once you know the basics.
    You don't need to bring anything with you. I have over 2 dozen baitcasters in different brands and rods of different actions and lengths.
    I'm on the southside of Indy.
    This offer goes for anyone wanting to learn baitcasting technics.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Faff
    Top Bottom