• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey all,

I'm looking for recommendations for a shoulder holster for a 1911 Officer's Model. One of my good friends has a birthday next week and I know he's been wanting a shoulder holster for a long time. He's around 6'5" and I'm guessing 250lbs? His main carry gun is Rock Island 1911 Officer's Model .45.

I've never tried a shoulder holster so I have no idea what's a good/practical brand and style.

Thanks for the help!
    -Mike

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar

Benjamin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 30, 2009
    Columbus, IN
    As others have said, Galco is the way to go if you want a 1911 shoulder holster. Personally, I like the classic. I've seen the classic II advertised on Optics Planet but I'm not sure how it is different. I have no personal experience with the jackass, but I'm sure it's a great since it comes from Galco.

My advise to you, TRY THEM ON BEFORE YOU BUY ONE.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on your search.

jimbo-indy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    N.W. Indy
    Ross leather make a nice vertical shoulder rig for the 1911. Some don't like it because the straps are cut long and it hangs too low on shorter people. Your friend sounds like he could use the extra length. I also like the Bianchi X15 but have not tried it for 1911, only big revolvers.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    As others have said, Galco is the way to go if you want a 1911 shoulder holster. Personally, I like the classic. I've seen the classic II advertised on Optics Planet but I'm not sure how it is different. I have no personal experience with the jackass, but I'm sure it's a great since it comes from Galco.

My advise to you, TRY THEM ON BEFORE YOU BUY ONE.

Hope this helps, and best of luck on your search.

MCII has wider straps over the shoulder area and different mag pouches.

stratum

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    Noble County
    Keep in mind that shoulder holsters typically hold the handgun in either a vertical (muzzle pointed down) or horizontal (muzzle pointed back) orientation. For safety reasons, some may not be comfortable with the idea of the muzzle pointed horizontally. My Ross leather is a very comfortable rig for a full-sized 1911 (I'm 6-1, 180#). Carrying two full mags in the other side helps balance the weight.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I carry my Colt 1911 (S 70 Gov, '70s vintage) in a Miami Classic. The twin mag pouch on the off side balances the pistol well enough that I don't need the tie downs.

I've worn this rig for over 12 hours at a time and find it to be comfortable. Also, the position of the pistol does not shift.

If I had to replace the rig, I'd go with the Miami Classic II. The mag pouch on the new version holds the mags horizontally, the version I have holds them vertically. I may end up ordering the new mag pouch to replace the one on my current rig.

Hope this helps.

SERparacord

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2012
    Amish Mafia Bar
    I carry my Colt 1911 (S 70 Gov, '70s vintage) in a Miami Classic. The twin mag pouch on the off side balances the pistol well enough that I don't need the tie downs.

I've worn this rig for over 12 hours at a time and find it to be comfortable. Also, the position of the pistol does not shift.

If I had to replace the rig, I'd go with the Miami Classic II. The mag pouch on the new version holds the mags horizontally, the version I have holds them vertically. I may end up ordering the new mag pouch to replace the one on my current rig.

Hope this helps.

FWIW, the Galco Miami Classic II is my favorite shoulder rig.

Ditto the MC II. :rockwoot:

Top Bottom