• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    ive been running aguila (red box) in my MKIV 22/45 and my mossberg 715T i use for steel challenge matches
    zero problems with the ruger after 1000 or so rounds.
    the mossberg is erratic, sometimes it runs several mags without a problem,
    then jams up tighter than a horse ass at fly time....

i have a match this weekend, gonna try some mini mags and federal auto match in the rifle and see what happens.
    :cheers:

i ran approx 75rds of mini mags, (all i had on hand), they ran with zero problems , switched to federal auto match for the rest of the steel match, couple of hiccups, but no major jam-ups like ive previously had with this particular rifle.
    the Mossberg gods smiled on me today !!:pimp:

zero problems with the auglia in my MKIV 22/45

:cheers:

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I've tried a lot of .22LR ammo in my two firearms-- a CZ 455 bolt rifle and a SW22 Victory semi auto pistol. I've also tried a lot in my best friend's guns, an M&P 15-22, two Ruger Mark 3s, a P229 with .22 Conversion, a SW41 performance center, a Walther P-22, and his CZ 455 with a Lilja barrel and target scope.

I think that's a pretty good cross section of weapons.

Ammo I've shot and have several hundred rounds of experience with:

Aguila: Subsonic, SV, HV, Rifle Match, Pistol Match, Colibri
    Browning: bulk pack stuff, made by Winchester
    CCI: Standard, green tag, Minimag, Quiet, Stinger.
    Eley: club, Tenex
    Federal: 36gr Champion bulk, 40gr HV bulk, Match, HV Match, Ultramatch (UM22)
    Lapua: Center-x, Midas Plus
    GECO: Match, Bolt, Semi-auto
    Remington: T-bolt, Golden Bullet
    Winchester: Super-x,
    Wolf Match Target

Since you just want good quality ammo that's not crap or gold plated, I'll make it easy for you:

BUY:
    Aguila, Federal, CCI, GECO,

Avoid:
    Remington, Winchester, CI

CCI standard is the "tastes like chicken" of .22. It's almost never the best, but it's also never the worst. It's the safe "woobie" option for the risk averse. (notable exception: this stuff is lights out in a SW41 target pistol known to be very ammo picky; it runs with the priciest of ammo in that gun).

GECO is the best all around for the money IMO. Swiss made by RUAG/Dynamit Nobel/RWS. Fantastic ammo at the price of basic plinking ammo. Get the semi-auto as it runs in almost anything.

I love Aguila stuff, it's very good and also very cheap. The Pistol Match is one of the most accurate loads I've ever fired- right up there with Lapua and UM22 in my gun. Only it's not $150/brick. I tend to buy Aguila if they don't have GECO at comparable prices.

Wolf is excellent stuff and not priced in the stratosphere. If the Aguila PM hadn't worked so well for me, I'd rate this stuff as "best value" accuracy even at the higher price because it's SO good and can usually be found for $60/brick. Note: Wolf is now made by Eley, not SK as it was before. I've not shot any of the Eley-made Wolf, but Eley makes good ammo. Think of it as a way to get cheaper Eley. (like the old stuff was cheaper SK rifle Match).

One tip that I've come to believe in: any semi-auto will run cleaner and more accurately with SV or subsonic loads. Stay away from HV ammo and your gun will run cleaner, and therefore more reliably while having better accuracy.

There's almost no case where I prefer HV ammo to SV or subsonic.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I just got some Wolf match extra and it was the new stuff with the E headstamp made in England.

The Wolf match target is still the wax coated stuff made in Germany so mine is probably the SK.

Any idea if target will also change to E?

I shot an NRA small bore 100 yard match with both on Sunday. Both did well, Extra was a tiny bit better.

My 10/22 did ok compared with the Anschutz race guns.

655da7df0c62869dc5fb5dfb6927320c.jpg
    77969ec3785a499c5ae134b1504fa983.jpg
    063ea1fe7eac79b4b6b0b21153d293aa.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I'd be skeptical about some of the ammo mentioned. It might work great in their match bolt action rifles and not function in your Ruger semi-autos. That is why I mentioned CCI Standard Velocity. With the guns you are shooting them in and assuming that you aren't competing it high precision matches, you don't need the creme de la creme of ammos. You just want something that is reasonably accurate, functions reliably and is reasonably priced. All .22 ammo is dirty and different guns will shoot different brands more accurately out of a specific gun. Even the same brand/ model .22 gun may shoot different ammos differently. The top world-class .22 shooters will often test their guns with certain ammos and select a certain "lot" (manufacture run) that shoots the best in a particular gun. They will buy cases of that specific lot. That same lot of a specific ammo may not function or be the most accurate out of your guns and although your guns are very good production guns, they aren't world-class and aren't capable of the accuracy needed at world-class games. Of course they aren't nearly as expensive.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    I'd be skeptical about some of the ammo mentioned. It might work great in their match bolt action rifles and not function in your Ruger semi-autos. That is why I mentioned CCI Standard Velocity. ...You just want something that is reasonably accurate, functions reliably and is reasonably priced.

Yuppers.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I'd be skeptical about some of the ammo mentioned. It might work great in their match bolt action rifles and not function in your Ruger semi-autos. That is why I mentioned CCI Standard Velocity. With the guns you are shooting them in and assuming that you aren't competing it high precision matches, you don't need the creme de la creme of ammos. You just want something that is reasonably accurate, functions reliably and is reasonably priced. All .22 ammo is dirty and different guns will shoot different brands more accurately out of a specific gun. Even the same brand/ model .22 gun may shoot different ammos differently. The top world-class .22 shooters will often test their guns with certain ammos and select a certain "lot" (manufacture run) that shoots the best in a particular gun. They will buy cases of that specific lot. That same lot of a specific ammo may not function or be the most accurate out of your guns and although your guns are very good production guns, they aren't world-class and aren't capable of the accuracy needed at world-class games. Of course they aren't nearly as expensive.

Unless you indicate a particular kind of ammo to avoid for a particular reason, this isn't very helpful. And a CZ455 is not a "match" rifle.:ingo:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Unless you indicate a particular kind of ammo to avoid for a particular reason, this isn't very helpful. And a CZ455 is not a "match" rifle.:ingo:
    Of course this suggestion was made for the OP and his guns and was not intended to counter your opinion. I've fired many different brands of ammo over the years, from Eley to Winchester T22 (best to worse). I've found CCI Standard Velocity to be reasonably accurate, function reliably, modestly priced and have dependable ignition in most guns. I thought a simple explanation was more helpful for his particular situation instead of listing 50 brands that "might" work for him. As I stated, the same model gun might shoot better with one particular brand and lot number of .22 ammo and another same model gun produced on the same manufacturing line might shoot better with another brand and lot of .22 ammo. In the OP's case (semi-autos) functioning is a concern, more so than a bolt gun. I really couldn't discount any specific .22 ammo as to how "bad" it is because it might be tops in certain guns and a dog in others. Also there is the possibility that any ammo that was a dog might have improved their manufacturing process and components since I had tried it. Some shooters don't mind having a 1% or so failure to ignite. Others might consider price to be at the top of their list. There are far more good and great .22 ammos out there, than dogs. Congrats on owning a fine .22 rifle.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom