• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    So I've really enjoyed shooting my Ruger Mark II Target Model 5.5" bull barreled .22 pistol lately. I always buy Federal Champion hollow points in a bulk pack and they shoot great. I recently acquired another Ruger pistol (MKIII 22/45) and I'm now interested in getting to be very accurate with both guns and would like to start with using better ammo. My question is: What has everyone had good results with as far as "match" grade .22lr ammo goes?

Gamez235

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Mar 24, 2009
    Upstate
    Wolf Match Target, is what I hear all the older wiser gentlemen near the water cooler say. I shot it, the Federal GMM .22, and the CCI Green Tag and all shot very comparable in my CZ-452 out to 200yds. Not enough over standard CCI Mini-Mags to justify the cost for me, but I keep a box or two around for those surgical eye shots on the sparrows.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    CCI Mini Mags are the only rounds that came to my mind that I had really heard of. I just wondered if they were good since I have no first hand experience. I'm sure there are others, would love to hear them.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Wolf Match Target, is what I hear all the older wiser gentlemen near the water cooler say. I shot it, the Federal GMM .22, and the CCI Green Tag and all shot very comparable in my CZ-452 out to 200yds. Not enough over standard CCI Mini-Mags to justify the cost for me, but I keep a box or two around for those surgical eye shots on the sparrows.

same advise. all my guns love wmt

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    .22's are like any other firearm. they all like different loads. I've tried Wold target in a couple of very accurate rifles and they didn't shoo tmuch better than bulk pack. Your best bet is to go out and buy as many different types of .22's as you can find. My normal 'accurate plinking ammo' is CCI Standard Velocity. I was told long ago by someone who worked at CCI/Blount that the SV was the same stuff as Green Tag. I've also had very good luck with eley ammo, but it can be hard to find. Many say it's the eley primers that makes their ammo so accurate, but remington target ammo has eley primers and it doesn't shoot very well for me. CCI Mini Mag and Stingers have shot pretty well for me in teh past. Most of my target shooting is now done with a can on the rifle so I prefer to stay with subsonic ammo, but if I'm stretching it out to 150 yards, the hotter ammo is easier to hit with due to less holdover.

Doug K

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have tried Wolf, RWS, and Remington Target out of my Savage. The Wolf performed the best, but I can not justify the cost. My go to ammo is CCI mini-mags. They are very accurate out of my Buckmark, or the CCI sub-sonic ammo.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Match ammo

I have tried Wolf, RWS, and Remington Target out of my Savage. The Wolf performed the best, but I can not justify the cost. My go to ammo is CCI mini-mags. They are very accurate out of my Buckmark, or the CCI sub-sonic ammo.

.22 lr guns are a law unto themselves when it comes to ammo. I have one MKII with lots of goodies on it that likes CCI minimags better'n about everything I've tried. I think the chamber is a little long for match ammo to do its best in that one. Wolf match target or SK std plus have worked well in some of my pistols. My Model 41 likes RWS rifle target. Buy a bunch of different ones. Clean between ammos and fire a few fouling shots with the next test batch. Take your time and enjoy an afternoon of turning money into noise. For the sake of research, of course.:rockwoot:

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have really gotten into .22s over the last year or so. I have a few CZ 452s, Ruger 77/22, Rem 541T, a couple S&W Model 41s, a few Ruger MKIIs, Colt Ace and Conversion Unit, Walther P22 and a bunch of revolvers. I have been shooting the CZ 452s and Smith Model 41s the most. They are the most accurate and put the others to shame. I have been trying various types of ammo and have had good luck with the Federal Auto Match and CCI Standard Velocity and some old Winchester Wildcats. Remington has been the least reliable from my guns. The guys on Rimfire Central swear by the Wolf MT and SK ammo. I haven't shot either and to be honest don't even know where to get it. I'd be interested in meeting some other 22 shooters and compare ammo and guns sometime.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Before you test any "match" ammo, make sure that you get all the copper fouling out of your barrel. You might want to try CCI Standard Velocity in your Ruger pistol. I get mine from Dick's for around $25.00 per brick of 500. For a reasonably priced ammo, it performs very well. I do all my ammo testing at 50 yards from a machine rest. Any ten shot groups under 1 1/2" is plenty good. At 25 yards and less, you will probably not see too much of a difference in ammo brands.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Ok, thank you everyone for the very informative responses. This weekend I am going ammo shopping and plan on picking up a few boxes of several different kinds of .22lr. Then it's off to the range and gonna find out what works best in each. I will try to post the results with pics when I'm done.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Wolf .22 ammo is manufactured by SK Jagd and usually has the same price point. SK Jagd can be had in rifle match, pistol match, standard plus, etc. SK Jagd ammo is tops and so is Wolf. It has gotten a bit pricey over the years, but all ammo has gone up. Don't overlook Aguila Standard Velocity, Target or Pistol Match.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Went shooting yesterday with the 2 ruger pistols and a few different types of ammo. The only standard velocity stuff I could find was Remington Target 40 grain RN at Gander in a 50/round box for $5. I also shot Federal Champion bulk pack 36 grain HP high velocity, CCI Mini Mag 40 grain RN high velocity, and Federal 40 grain RN high velocity. The ammo selection on .22's wasn't what I wanted by any means. None of these rounds seemed much better than bulk Federal Stuff. Gander did have Remington Target made by ELEY but with a price tag of $10/50 rds I did not buy. They also had sub-sonic ammo in various brands but I noticed they said weren't recommended for semi-auto firearms (I'm assuming because of cycling issues with the action), so I didn't go for those.

So does anyone know anywhere in or near Fort Wayne that has CCI Mini Mag Standard Velocity in stock? I am going to try that next. I would like to try some Wolf Match or equivalent, but going off the price I've seen on that stuff I think the justification for me just isn't there........price vs. increased accuracy?? not sure it's worth it for me. Thanks again guys, once I find good results I will post pics.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I had good luck with a brick of Federal Champion Target, standard velocity, but I can't find it anywhere, just the high velocity. Aguila Match is about the best cheap ammo I can find at the gun shows. It has more flyers, IMO, the higher priced match ammo, and is a bit dirty. It's much more accurate though than the cheap Winchester Wilcat or Remington Thunderbolt or similar good, but cheap, ammo.

Federal Gold Medal Match, Eley, and my friend's new favorite Lapua, are very good but very pricey.

HighStrung

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Pendleton
    Thru my 10/22 and my P22 the Wolf Target/Match has been the hands down winner in terms of accuracy so far. I've probably tried 5 different bulk brands and the only decent one for my 10/22 was Win Dynapoint, other than this one the other bulk packs are all over the paper. For the higher end ammo, I've tried some different CCI's (green tag, mini-mags) and some Eley sport, and Wolf Match Extra and actually found that it all shot worse (ymmv) than the Wolf Target/Match. Cheap bulk pack was averaging 2" groups at 50yds. The Eley, CCI's and Wolf MatchExtra ranged from .75-1.5" groups at 50yds, and the Wolf Match/Target brought in the smallest groups at .5-.75" at 50yds. Those were all shot from an almost factory 10/22 without the target barrel, the only mods to the gun were some drop in parts from Power Custom which made a big difference in accuracy of the gun (rather the person holding the gun).

Last edited:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    So does anyone know anywhere in or near Fort Wayne that has CCI Mini Mag Standard Velocity in stock? I am going to try that next. I would like to try some Wolf Match or equivalent, but going off the price I've seen on that stuff I think the justification for me just isn't there........price vs. increased accuracy?? not sure it's worth it for me. Thanks again guys, once I find good results I will post pics.
    The National Pistol Matches at Camp Perry, OH start July 11th. If you want a wide variety of match ammo to try, the vendors on "commercial row" will have the largest selection you will see in one spot. The prices will be very competitive.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    How long do those matches go on for ? A friend of mine was talking about going to those.
    Here is a schedule:
    DATES FOR 2011 Jul 10-11 Pistol SAFS Jul 12-16 NRA Pistol Matches Jul 17 National Trophy Pistol Matches Jul 20-23 SBR 3-Position Matches Jul 24-28 SBR Prone Matches Jly 30-31 High Power Rifle SAFS Aug 1-6 National Trophy Rifle Matches Aug 7 Whistler Boy High Power Rifle Match Aug 7 NRA/Springfield Match Aug 8-12 NRA National High Power Rifle Matches Aug 13-17 NRA Long Range Matches

SAFS= Small Arms Firing School (I highly recommend either pistol or rifle)
    SBR= Small Bore Rifle (read .22LR)

Top Bottom