• ...and so much more!
  • T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    263   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    Before you test any "match" ammo, make sure that you get all the copper fouling out of your barrel. You might want to try CCI Standard Velocity in your Ruger pistol. I get mine from Dick's for around $25.00 per brick of 500. For a reasonably priced ammo, it performs very well. I do all my ammo testing at 50 yards from a machine rest. Any ten shot groups under 1 1/2" is plenty good. At 25 yards and less, you will probably not see too much of a difference in ammo brands.

I stopped in at Dick's @ Jefferson Pointe/Apple Glen in Fort Wayne and bought a 500 rd brick of CCI SV for $25 on Saturday. Thanks for the info on that deal. Gonna give it a shot next weekend.

MarkRW

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    In my Savage MKII rifle I have tried a variety of subsonic rounds at 50 yards:
    CCI Standard Velocity (S), Wolf Match Target (S), RWS Subsonic (HP), Winchester Subsonic (HP), Aquila Subsonic (HP), and Federal Gold Medal (S)

(S) for solid and (HP) for hollow point.

They are all in the $3-6 for 50 round range. CCI Standard Velocity weren't the best, but they were clearly better than the Aquila and Federal, cheaper than the Wolf and RWS, and easier to find than the Winchester. The RWS had the fewest fliers, and were the best overall, but also the priciest in this bunch (I got a few boxes on sale). Shoot high 90s with a standard NRA small bore target off an improvised rest - average scores like 98-4x for ten shots - where bulk ammo would be like 90-1x.

I don't shoot well enough with my Ruger Mark III to tell the difference, but the gun is dang good off a rest at 10 yards with bulk Federal (hit a quarter +50% of the time) and can't miss a frisbee at 50 yards standing.

I'm going with CCI Std for now and think it is a good reference point.

Top Bottom