• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mjelder

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    West lafayette/Columbus
    Hey guys, Long time reader, first time poster here in the great outdoors thread.

So long story short is that a couple friends and myself are looking to do some camping away from Purdue and Indiana over spring break. We're heading to the Grand Canyon Area and doing general backwoods hiking and camping.

I'm a seasoned camper, wilderness lover and aced my orienteering badge in scouts back in the day, but since the times have changed and technology is great, we are looking to ditch the maps and get a GPS to kind of guide us to and from.

So does anyone have any experience with a good, reliable, outdoors GPS? What do you recommend, what are the price points and where could I find the best deal on one? Black and white or color doesn't matter. Not looking for a lot of features other than being able to set way-points and to pull up the info of where we are and where we have been.

Any info would be great. Also since it's my first time out to the Grand Canyon, if you have any tips or recommendations, that would be great! Thanks guys

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For car based ones the Garmin Nuvi is neat. Sometimes addresses show up on the wrong side of the road in neighborhoods. It has a triffic interface also and will somewhat reroute you around traffic. Same with speed limits it does not always reflect them correctly if road work has changed the limits but I have yet to install the map update.

From My expreance with it a handheld version from the same company might be worth a try. The Nuvi is fairly simple and rather well built.

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    In the car I use a Tom Tom. I like it but the battery lie is horrible. I have a Garmin E-Trex I use when hiking. It does the basic and the battery life is good the the tree canopy will block the signal. If you go the the forest take a map as a backup.

rby1rby

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Delphi
    I have a Garmin 76csx w/ Topo map I use for snowmobiling, hiking, & fishing. Waterproof, floats usually get about 10-12 hours of use on 2aa batteries
    Absolutely love it!
    Under $200 & probably cheaper on ebay used (amazon 219 & free shipping)

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Garmin Etrexx Legend is what you are looking for. Easy to use and quick to learn on as well. I would still take the Maps ans Compass with you though. Depending on Cliff Walls and Overhead Obstructions GPS may or may not work well or not at all...

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    the times have changed and technology is great, we are looking to ditch the maps and get a GPS to kind of guide us to and from.

There isn't a GPS made that will get me to ditch my map and compass.

That said I would probably spend the money on a GPS app for my phone, and find a way to keep it charged.

Wildcat45

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2012
    I have a Garmin eTrex and use it on backpacking trips. Depending on tree coverage or steep terrain it might be hard to get enough satellite coverage to get a clear signal. Garmin used to make an eTrex that had a high-sensitivity antenna; I would recommend that one for a trip in canyon land if they still produce it. Search around on the web for better deals than you can find at a brick and mortar store.

onesurveyor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Get any old GPS but take mapps for back up. I spent 3 months out there surveying for the National Parks and you can get out there if you chose and there is no one to help you. Dehydration will get you and you won't even know it till its to late. Be safe.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I have an older Legend, maybe 5yrs or so, still gets down to <15' accuracy. I'm a Garmin fanboy, but that's fading. Here's why. Two things you REALLY want: AA battery power, ability to import topo maps. Garmin is a b*stard about the map stuff, in that they want you to buy their topo software. Delorme makes a pretty sweet alternative...
    Earthmate GPS PN-60 with Topo North America 9.0 - DeLorme
    I like the way this one appears. Now to read up more on the Model line and see which one I want to beat the hell out of... :popcorn:

Top Bottom