• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    need to put a decent scope on my home-built AR. Not looking to spend a ton of money on this. Maybe around $250-$350. Any recommendations or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have a DPMS M4 flat top upper and free float handguard on it with bolt on iron sights now.

A few months back, NcStar and Burris had a couple I was looking at that had good reviews but I don't remember which ones and I can't find them anymore.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if you go burris there are better and worse choices. if you go ncstar that is probably the worst option out there. you have to keep in mind when reading reviews the folks writing them may or may not have ever looked threw a diffrent scope in there life.

it really depends more on the intended purpose than the rifle, but off the top of my head without more info this would work well for most folks ar15 purposes, and it come in below your budget enough (179ish) that you can buy quality rings
    Vortex Optics - Diamondback 1.75-5x32 Dead-Hold BDC

this scope is instock as of now

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Nikon Prostaff, P-223 or M-223 are good.
    Weaver has some good offerings.
    Vortex Diamondbacks OR the low-end of the Viper line.
    Maybe some low magnification scopes from Burris also (like a 1-4x)
    If it's on an AR, I would suggest a typical 3-9x40 or something smaller, like a 2-7x32. I've learned through personal experience that you typically don't want a heavy optic on an AR unless it's a bench gun.
    You could also consider a red dot (Vortex strikefire comes with an attachable 2x magnifier) with a 2x or 3x magnifier - may put you over your limit.

MY question would be what are your practical limits/ranges for this gun?

baune

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    North side of Indy
    Not doing any hunting with this one. I'm just tired of the iron sights bolted on. This will be used mostly just for range shooting anywhere from 100 up to 300 yds, and trying new handload recipes. Nothing spectacular.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Not doing any hunting with this one. I'm just tired of the iron sights bolted on. This will be used mostly just for range shooting anywhere from 100 up to 300 yds, and trying new handload recipes. Nothing spectacular.

ok scratch the scope i recomended above. it is more of a fast accusition scope not a mid range scope

for your intended purpose ill look at
    Vortex Optics - Viper 3-9x40 Dead-Hold BDC for 299

or

Vortex Optics - Diamondback 4-12x40 Dead-Hold BDC for 199 if you would like a little more zoom for shooting groups with handloads

Top Bottom