• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I just got an email from Midwest saying they are taking preorders on autos. Im interested in getting an auto to compliment my Leatherman Skeletool, but I really dont want to spend much, Im thinking about $50.

Midwest had a handful of Boker Kalishnakovs that looked decent for around $40, but since I know nothing about knives, I figured it would be best to ask INGO.

Also, there HAS to be a better place to buy knives than Midwest. I know we have some site sponsors, but I would like to get one July 1st, and I dont think any are local to me. Any good places online?

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    Contact Brad. He can ship and he will get you a good price.

I'm sure he will have autos ready to sell on July 1 but I don't want to speak for him.

Brads Knives and Knife Lady

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Also, there HAS to be a better place to buy knives than Midwest. I know we have some site sponsors, but I would like to get one July 1st, and I dont think any are local to me. Any good places online?

Midwest does have decent knife prices. I doubt I'll give them any of my money in the future due to the $69 Pmags they were selling during the panic. I'm all for capitalism, but part of capitalism is being able to take your money elsewhere when you don't like the business practices of a company.

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Yeah, I don't like Midwest for a variety of reasons. The Elkhart location has been much better to me, but their prices never are anything special.

II will contact Brad and see what he will have in my price range.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I'm guessing what traderdan means is you can't get a good quality auto for $50.00 and I will agree. It's just like anything else you buy in life, guns, cars, houses......etc., there are different levels of quality and the price will reflect the level of quality. :twocents:

Ah, gotcha.

Kinda like my chinese Kershaws.. :)

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    To the OP, look at ProTech knives. They won't break the bank but are still a bit outside your $50 target price range. They are pretty good knives for the money IME.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Ah, gotcha.

Kinda like my chinese Kershaws.. :)

Not really, kind of a different ball game. The China made Kershaw's for the price point are an excellent value. They still have the good fit and finish that you see in the USA Kershaw models and are still backed with the Kershaw life time warranty. When the law changes, you will see a ton of auto knives for under $50 and they will be made in China. You won't actually know who the manufacturer is, and when they break in a month or so, you will be done because there is no warranty on them, and if there was, you will never be able to figure out where to send them back. :): There are a few exceptions to this, like the Boker model that was mentioned in this thread. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, when buying an auto, buy a name brand that has a warranty. :twocents:

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Im leaning towards the Boker. Less than $50, and this really is something that Im just buying because of the law change. If I decide I want a nicer one later on, I wont hesitate to spend more.

Brad, do you/will you stock the Boker? I can get it at Midwest, but I would always rather pay a little bit of shipping to buy from an INGO sponsor.

Bradsknives

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Im leaning towards the Boker. Less than $50, and this really is something that Im just buying because of the law change. If I decide I want a nicer one later on, I wont hesitate to spend more.

Brad, do you/will you stock the Boker? I can get it at Midwest, but I would always rather pay a little bit of shipping to buy from an INGO sponsor.

I'm planning on carrying a few of them when the time comes. Which color and blade configuration are you interested in?

Do you ever attend the Crown Point gun & knife show? I will be there at the July show. If you go to that show you could always pick it up in person and save shipping. The reason I mention this is, shipping an auto through USPS is illegal. I would have to use Fedex or UPS and their shipping rates are two to three times more than USPS.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Not really, kind of a different ball game. The China made Kershaw's for the price point are an excellent value. They still have the good fit and finish that you see in the USA Kershaw models and are still backed with the Kershaw life time warranty. When the law changes, you will see a ton of auto knives for under a $50 and they will be made in China. You won't actually know who the manufacturer is, and when they break in a month or so, you will be done because there is no warranty on them, and if there was, you will never be able to figure out where to send them back. :): There are a few exceptions to this, like the Boker model that was mentioned in this thread. I guess the point I'm trying to make is, when buying an auto, buy a name brand that has a warranty. :twocents:

Thanks for the info. That's good to know about the Kershaws. I just don't have the budget for "the real thing", but am pretty happy with the 2 Kershaws I have.

I will probably hold off on an auto knife, anyway. I think my next purchase will be a small fixed blade..

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    I'm planning on carrying a few of them when the time comes. Which color and blade configuration are you interested in?

Do you ever attend the Crown Point gun & knife show? I will be there at the July show. If you go to that show you could always pick it up in person and save shipping. The reason I mention this is, shipping an auto through USPS is illegal. I would have to use Fedex or UPS and their shipping rates are two to three times more than USPS.

USPS, go figure.

No, I dont normally get out to the Crown Point show. Im looking at the BOKAKALS74B in Midwest's ad, which is a black blade with gray handle. They have it at $38. If you think you can do it for under $55 shipped UPS/FedEx, I can shoot you a PM and we can work out the particulars. If not, understandable, and I will just have to pick something up from you at the next 1500.

Thanks for the help!

traderdan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Martinsville

I just wanted to give the short answer...When you are buying a folding knife,especially one with a blade that is closed and under spring tension (and maybe in a pocket close to something you really like)....do not go cheap! I have never seen a good quality auto that could be purchased for $50 or less.

Top Bottom