Good backpacking hatchet or alternative.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sausagecake

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    Wherever I can eat S
    As the title says, I am looking for a good backpacking hatchet or something comparable. Anything that can serve a dual purpose is always a plus. Let me know what you take when you go hiking or camping.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    the gransfors bruks small forest axe. it's probably one of the best tools made. they make a size smaller also that is just a tiny bit more packable. They aren't cheap though. For a good comparable product check out wetterlings large hunters axe or their hatchet size. it's going to save you a few bucks and still have a great product.

PoolQs

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Noblesville
    While 20 years of the Scouts ... we had learned how to carry packs and how much weight for the long hikes then set up camps.
    We all carried 3 pieces of equipment ... our knives, folding saw and hatchet. Both the saw and hatchet were from Gerber.
    There wasn't anything that we couldn't do with those. Granted the Gerber is not the best or highest end, but you can beat the
    crap out of it, and it will keep cutting and hold a decent edge. And if lost or dropped, you only lose $35 vs $75.
    Here is what we carried;
    Amazon.com: Gerber 31-000914 Camp Axe II High Performance Axe: Home Improvement
    Gerberhatchet.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]
    Amazon.com: Gerber 31-001167 7-Inch Myth Folding Saw: Home Improvement
    saw.jpg
    [/URL][/IMG]

Hope that gives you an additional option
    Troy

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    just got the gransfors bruks wildlife hatchet and can attest to the superior quality of it. granted, i've used all types and economies of this type of tool, and by far have found one that will outlast me. you could go with a less expensive model, but why not pay for quality once, than have to pay a few times over your lifetime, you will not outlast this one.

i also carry a esee 4 and a bacho laplander in my camp pack, and all three serve a purpose and have/are used with every outing in some fashion.

rabidsquirrel

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 29, 2014
    North Webster
    I have found that swap meets often yield the best hatchets. You can normally find an old Plumb or True Temper head for a few bucks. Of course you may find yourself knee deep in an axe restoration project, but there is nothing more satisfying than toting a vintage hatchet into the woods. I normally carry an old Wards Master Quality carpenter hatchet when hunting or hiking. It keeps a brutally sharp edge and the hammer end is ideal for batoning (ie splitting deer pelvic bones).

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Another vote for the Gerber (or Fiskars) hatchets. I've had mine for years and it has held up well. It ain't no fancy GB or Wettterlings, but it is light and gets the job done.

Another option would be the Council Tool boy's axe. I don't have this one specifically, but I have a 3.5# Dayton and it is nice and American made. Again, it's no GB or Wetterlings... but it doesn't cost the same either unless you get the Velvicut version.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Fiskars hatchet. its cheap, lightweight, and comes shaving sharp. Ive used mine for everyting from processing firewood to food prep

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I was further north then a woodsman axe would be In the bag for sure. Winter it would make the cut for sure. Farther south from here an axe would be more of an extra.

Backpacking is a pounds game. Spring/summer/fall the weight would most likely not make the cut. A woodsman pal might make the cut.

Woodsmans Pal - Woodman's Pal

i got an old one at a garage sale cheap. Light weight and well made.

Just a different take on the question. If the only tool in the tool box is a hammer all problems get solved with nails.

ddavidson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2012
    Clermont, IN
    I carry a Wetterlings Forester's Fine axe. It's about 24" long and packs very well with my pack (ILBE). I also carry the popular Bahco folding saw and my knives of course.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    While cleaning my Grandfather's garage, found a Collins, U.S. 1945 stamped hatchet. Cleaned it up, sharpened up with a file, and repainted the handle with OD green, and blade w/ flat black engine enamel.(except the edge) Drilled a hole, installed a para cord lanyard. Better looking, does split small saplings/branches for small campfires. No cover for blade, so looking for a military canvas style with belt hanger/snap in web material. Might use a piece of sheet metal bend to a 90 degree, and use a leather hammer holder to carry-blade backward. Have to work on it. Also use a Cold Steel Tomahawk for saplings, and tender chopping. Both work well.

Top Bottom