• ...and so much more!
  • natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Accuracy and precision.....

If a $1,000 10/22 could compete, then Olympic shooters wouldn't be carrying around heavy bolt rifles and accessory packages that push $10,000.

It's just not a thing.

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    Everyone's definition of accuracy is different. A factory 10/22 for what, $250? and a tricked out one for a grand are not the same thing in an accuracy discussion with a classifier of price groups.

How much DOES an Olympic biathlon rifle cost?

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Everyone's definition of accuracy is different. A factory 10/22 for what, $250? and a tricked out one for a grand are not the same thing in an accuracy discussion with a classifier of price groups.

When you buy a factory 10/22, you get $250 worth of accuracy...

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

Olympic biathlon start around $4500 ......

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    East of Hoosier45 - West of T-dogg
    Olympic biathlon start around $4500 ......
    I have zero experience with that level of rifle....but I'd like to know what accuracy is with, say CCI SV, versus an off the shelf sub $1000 gun? A $4500 gun doesn't trump ammo.

My point being; not only is a biathlon rifle the best of the best as a rifle but those shooters (I am guessing here) complete extensive ammo testing and buy lots in large quantities to assure repeatable precision and accuracy.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    I have zero experience with that level of rifle....but I'd like to know what accuracy is with, say CCI SV, versus an off the shelf sub $1000 gun? A $4500 gun doesn't trump ammo.

My point being; not only is a biathlon rifle the best of the best as a rifle but those shooters (I am guessing here) complete extensive ammo testing and buy lots in large quantities to assure repeatable precision and accuracy.
    I have a few anschutz & other Olympic quality rifles....come on over and we can try them out.

With a rifle of that quality, you are getting a stiffer action, better chamber, premium steel used in barrel manufacturing, a MUCH better fully adjustable trigger, and a stock the perfectly fits you. All of these combined , all working together, take your rifle to a performance level unimaginable by most.

When it comes to Olympic quality "biathlon " is one style, at the heart of it is still the tried and true 54 action or the newest "one action "

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    I have a few anschutz & other Olympic quality rifles....come on over and we can try them out.

With a rifle of that quality, you are getting a stiffer action, better chamber, premium steel used in barrel manufacturing, a MUCH better fully adjustable trigger, and a stock the perfectly fits you. All of these combined , all working together, take your rifle to a performance level unimaginable by most.

When it comes to Olympic quality "biathlon " is one style, at the heart of it is still the tried and true 54 action or the newest "one action "
    Sign me up for that invite!

No argument from me that the price isn't significantly supported by quality, quality control and material improvements. I call it "variable elimination" and its costs money. My first step into this with 22's was a single shot Vudoo and that is pretty much entry level or below compared to your equipment.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

Our 54 was built in 1967 and was bought new in 1968, it still shoots as well as it did when my dad bought it for his sons to shoot. I need to get it to Penrod to restock it, in something a bit more modern.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Our 54 was built in 1967 and was bought new in 1968, it still shoots as well as it did when my dad bought it for his sons to shoot. I need to get it to Penrod to restock it, in something a bit more modern.
    A) Penrod is a great choice B) the anschutz custom shop sells stocks......I am kinda digging the "GRS" .....

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Sign me up for that invite!

No argument from me that the price isn't significantly supported by quality, quality control and material improvements. I call it "variable elimination" and its costs money. My first step into this with 22's was a single shot Vudoo and that is pretty much entry level or below compared to your equipment.
    Vudoo is a 40x copy.....lots of noise about this will be the 22lr standard, and several guys I know are very disappointed with there Vudoo. A 700 foot print, takes 700 triggers & stocks/chassis.....but there accuracy for the price point doesn't hold well....
    Shoot me a pm, we will make a plan to get together soon!!

mcapo

aka Bandit
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 19, 2016
    Vudoo is a 40x copy.....lots of noise about this will be the 22lr standard, and several guys I know are very disappointed with there Vudoo. A 700 foot print, takes 700 triggers & stocks/chassis.....but there accuracy for the price point doesn't hold well....
    Shoot me a pm, we will make a plan to get together soon!!
    Before ordering mine (about a year ago), I consulted the internet and LOTS of varying opinions on the platform, as you probably know better than I.

I ordered mine with the Shilen barrel and it showed great potential out of the box. Then I struggled to replicate that, in part, due to ammo/lot availability. I just put a tuner on it and seem to have found a good number - now need to get out and back up those results. I have thought about just taking it to Lapua and doing their lot testing....'

I am just a county away from you....will PM.

This all kinda relates to the OP question as the answer to "Good - Better - Best" isn't a simple answer after "Good".

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A) Penrod is a great choice B) the anschutz custom shop sells stocks......I am kinda digging the "GRS" .....
    Mine is sitting in one of the right hand position stocks, my brother is right handed as both of my sons. I am left handed, its always been a bitch for me to shoot it.
    I need to talk to Mark about something m a bit more modern and will work better for all of us into the future. I will look at the GRS.
    Thanks

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    Mine is sitting in one of the right hand position stocks, my brother is right handed as both of my sons. I am left handed, its always been a bitch for me to shoot it.
    I need to talk to Mark about something m a bit more modern and will work better for all of us into the future. I will look at the GRS.
    Thanks
    If you replace the original position stock let me know....we can make a deal

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    A $4500 gun doesn't trump ammo.
    Wayment.

You JUST SAID:

"I have zero experience with that level of rifle..." :)

Why do you speak of biathlon rifles so highly? They are not the top of the chart. Cuttingest edge accuracy is not needed, and is therefore not given, in sacrifice for other elements of the design that ARE critical.

The Fortner biathlon rifles are very neat, but not the equal of the 54.30, etc. in terms of precision. What they ARE is light and fast, with excellent ergs for actual "practical" use, AND THEY REPEAT.

That said, the 54.18 MS-R or Running Boar equivalent is almost certainly the most accurate repeater they ever made, and it is not for biathlon. It's also not a Fortner. It's a 54 match solid-bottom that has a hole cut in the bottom. (joke)

But the CUTTING EDGE rifles are all solid-bottom single shots with heavy barrels.

Yes, ammo is important, but you might be very surprised at what a $2,500+ rifle can do, even with $5 ammo.

-Nate

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    A 1422 w rollover cheek was one I always wanted.

I'm not as good as I used to be LOL
    So a 64 is plenty good enough.

The new 1761.......I havent warmed up to the looks
    1710 deluxe is cool, but prefer the trigger guard on the 1422.
    The 1710 just doesn't look right w stock trigger guard.
    Dunno if that could be changed.

Top Bottom