• ...and so much more!
  • Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Good buy or not?

Looking for a new "battle rifle". Not a real fan of the 5.56 round so looking at the 7.62x39 round. Want to get a few for the crew so we can share ammo and mags.

Anything wrong with this price or weapon system?

And opinions are great but I'm looking for is real world experience with this exact weapon.

Romanian AK-47 7.62x39 Rifle # AKAGUN05

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You have a crew? So all of you are presently unarmed? I think I like that.:D

My opinion doesn't matter in your narrowly posed question.

I think I will buy one. It seems to be a decent price on a decent rifle.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I'd say it's a decent buy. I picked up two WASR10's. One for $300 and the other for $350. Both are incredibly reliable and accurate as any other AK47 I have shot. One I kept with wood furniture and the other looks like the one you are interested in. I put around $300 into my tacticool AK so it's around the same price as buying the same one you are asking about after adding aftermarket parts on a stock AK.

I haven't found a "bad" AK yet. Every make and model I've been around will just keep shooting. About the only way to break one is run it over with a tank or blow it up.

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    will keep in mind transfer and shipping it adds up!!!! but seems to be decently priced nothing beats the reliability of a ak47!!! and lets not forget more stopping power and cheaper ammo... if you wanting the tactical setup its a good price other wise looking to a polish model there alot nicer than the wasr 10 for not a whole lot more and for that price you could get a underfolder.

Shootin'IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2010
    S.W. Indiana
    If you are not hooked on the tacticool AK you could look into the AK74 Bulgarian or Polish Tantal. You will pay for the gun from difference in the price of ammo between the 5.45x39 & the 7.62x39. You can still get the 5.45 for about 10.9 cents per round.

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    gots to have da AK fo da posse! Crew?...all righty then.

The AK is a viable rifle but I prefer something that allows for accuracy as well as reliability. Also not a real fan of the 7.62X39 round. For the price of that AK you could move into a CETME or FAL. As a civilian the last rifle I want in my hands when the good guys show up is the rifle used by the majority of terrorists worldwide. In a bad situation they tend to shoot first and check alliances second.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    In a bad situation, they'll consider anyone that's not readily identifiable as "them" to be "not them", no matter what they're carrying. I don't expect it to matter that much.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I like AK's have several. They were designed to shoot anything in any conditions. They are quite good at it. They are reliable, hard to damage, cheap, and simple. It is for these reasons that they are the weapon of choice of more than half of the worlds militaries, militias, and other fighting forces.

That being said everyone is entitled to their opinion, but for mine: If you're looking for a battle rifle I don't know why you say you don't like the 5.56 round, but you're welcome to your opinion. While it is more expensive to shoot is it's only drawback (for me), but in a real combat situation it's going to be lighter to carry and it is much better in the instance you need to shoot through body armor (at least with the right ammo). It is also going to sustain better factory accuracy at greater distances. The other plus side to the AR platform (HUGE plus IMO) is due to the design of the weapon, if you were in a heated situation you can maintain positive control of your AR, keep it in your shoulder and stay on the sights while you reload with your left hand whereas with the AK you must take cover and remove the weapon from it's functional position in order to reload it quickly. The only other thing that I've heard people say as to why they don't like the 5.56 is its size or "stopping power". Well, when you're being attacked and your life is on the line do you fire only ONE round and hope it works, regardless of the gun...NO, you fire 2 to the chest and one in the head...MINIMUM....i.e. if you happen to miss the head shot

As you are entitled to your opinion and you wish to go with an AK, I think you can find a better price on a standard wood furniture gun locally unless you just wanted the rail system. An AK is an excellent choice in the instance you need to arm friends though.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I don't see mag dimples, which lead me to believe that this is a Romanian WASR. I had a WASR AK for many years. They are the bottom feeders of the AK world, and still work pretty damn well. For $500, I would buy a Yugo. Much better AK for your money, plus the cluster rails on an AK look dorky to me. KISS = Keep It Simple Stupid.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    Thanks for the opinions and feedback.

No "we" aren't presently unarmed, just looking to make some common purchases for the purpose of sharing mags and ammo and being mutually supportive of the others who rely on me..

As for the crew, well it should have read "crew" and was ment to be more of a joke, I do have a family. I do have a group of like minded friends with families so for lack of a better word I used "crew" but whichever.. If you don't have a plan and support then your on your own and more then likely won't last long in a true SHTF situation in my humble opinion.

I hadn't thought about the reloading comment, thanks for making me think.

As for arguing the weight, size and ballistic difference between a 5.56 and a 7.62x39 I will let everyone make thier own opinion.

I think the number of individuals or groups who were outfitted with body armor which we could encounter would be low in my opinion and as mentioned, double chest tap with a cranial tap for good measure is SOP in my opinion too.

Any exact references for better choices would be gratefully appreciated. Only need is to be able to put a red dot on the weapon, thus the one mentioned.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I'm sorry, but I can't help but to laugh when someone want's to arm them self for when the SHTF. Ever seen a Blackhawk helicopter, Mark 19, GE Mini Gun, etc.....? How about a hydrogen bomb? VX gas? I'm a statistics man. If the SHTF (and I don't think it will), my guess is resistance would be futile. I'm going to sit back and enjoy what I have while I'm here.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Tradertator, valid points. But if I don't hang onto the notion that the American rifleman can prevail against all odds in an extreme circumstance, I don't think life is worth living.

I'll bet you are just kinda bummed out right now aren't you?

Come on, lets go shooting.....

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    As with anything I open up on here I expect all sides to appear, opinions vary, I never mentioned SHTF Armorment but was just looking for real world opinions. I thank everyone who contributed.

@tradertator, good point about it not happening, I hope not anyway but then if it does, some of us have things covered and will survive. Also to answer your questions althought hypethetical, YES, YES, YES, etc, NO and YES. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and I can respect a man who speaks his mind.​

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Sorry. Re-read my post, and I came off as a dick.
    I understand surviving a catastrophe. I'm a hillbilly so I'm pretty skilled in brush craft, have access to lot's of land, am a hunter, and have a working knowledge of food / water gathering & prep. But as far as a Red Dawn scenario, I have my reservations.

Top Bottom