• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I recently found out that my father wants to take me on a black bear hunting trip in northern canada. He asked me to find him a marlin 45-70 for him to use on the trip which got me thinking about what new toy I want for the trip. Any ideas? I was thinking about building an AR with a .458 upper.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    .45-70 is fine, as are most other big game calibers. What does he already have?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Any high caliber....or a good shotgun with slugs...depends on the range you think you would be shooting. Friend of mine used a 30/06 for 2 bears, right under his stand. The outfitter he was with said he always used a .12 ga. with slugs, even for Grizzly.

Dirty Steve

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Danville
    Before you go and build an AR, you might want to look at the regulations on bringing a firearm into Canada. Barrel length may be an issue as well as mag capacity. If I recall, 18.75" is the minimum. There are some issues also with overall length and "how it left the factory" with regards to it being prohibited. It's been several years since I went through the process to hunt in Canada, so you'll need to check into the restrictions thoroughly. DO NOT show up at the border with a restricted weapon or one even close and have to explain your way through.

Dirty Steve

Ebrueckmann

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Oh he has plenty of guns he could use, like a 300 wsm that he bout for elk hunting but hasn't used, but I think he is using this trip as an excuse to get a new toy. I also have a 30-06 I could use but like him I'd rather get something new.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    you don't need as much as you think, 308, 30-06 will be plenty, i would take a 44mag rifle(with the right load) all of these will take a black bear down fine as long as you do your part

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus
    Oh he has plenty of guns he could use, like a 300 wsm that he bout for elk hunting but hasn't used, but I think he is using this trip as an excuse to get a new toy. I also have a 30-06 I could use but like him I'd rather get something new.

:+1: to getting a new gun for the trip. That's what I would do too. LOL.

I would go as big as they (Canada) would let me.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you are going to have overkill, you might as well go with something fun. I would be tempted to pick up a Ruger #1, CZ 550, T/C Encore, or Ruger 77 in: .375 Ruger, .416 Rigby, .375 H&H, .458 Win Mag or a similar chamber.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have a 5-shot Raging Bull in .454 Casull that I would LOVE to take on such a hunt.

I would also like to take it on a hog hunt someday.

SEMI-AK

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I would go for the Ruger guide gun in 338 win mag...it is a longer barrel higher caliber gunsite scout looking rifle...or a lever 45/70....either way you can not go wrong....

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Quite some years ago now I had a DVD that was a promotional video for a swiveling tree seat. The video featured the actor Marshall Teague and he went on a black bear hunt using the above mentioned seat.
    Marshall Teague used a 12' SPEAR to take a black bear from above a bait barrel.

mayor al

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    Floyd/Harrison Count
    I second the comment about checking CLOSELY the Canadian Hunting Regs. It has been years since we have been up to the " GREAT WHITE NORTH", but even then they had caliber and mag limits, and some strong restrictions on semi-auto, and even ammo limits... I doubt that these have been simplified since the 80's when we hunted in Ontario.

A heavy load 30-06 or 308 would be the easiest caliber to work with, but I have a Ruger .338 Win Mag that I would love to test on a Canadian Bear.

Top Bottom