• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    I know there is a sticky under general firearms that list gunsmiths, but I am looking for one that can build long range rifles. And looking for one that someone has personal experince with. I don't want to wait a year for my gun to be assembled.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    there are several... ray saltzman comes to mind, as well as a few others whose name is slipping my mind....

i DOUBT you will find anyone w/ less than a half a year of wait time..... building a rifle is NOT a quick turn around thing... i would say 6 months would be on the quick side, w/ 1 year being average if you take it to a KNOWN REPUTABLE smith.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    When I was doing my research for rifles it quickly lead me to out of state rifle smiths.

This is where I ended up getting two rifles from. Custom Hunting Rifles - Sisk Custom Rifles

Charlie Sisk and a gun in AZ named DA Vanhorn built my Encore barrels are the two that I have used and recommend.

Its sad to say but quality rifle builders are not from Indiana.(or at least they were not 10 years ago when I was trying to get some built)

THe Market here does not support a professional full time quality rifle smith.

Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    I know there is a sticky under general firearms that list gunsmiths, but I am looking for one that can build long range rifles.
    Check

And looking for one that someone has personal experince with. Check

I don't want to wait a year for my gun to be assembled. Provided you've got parts, the labor shouldn't take that long

Mark Penrod
    Penrod Precision
    312 College Ave
    N Manchester, IN 46962
    Phone: 260-982-8385
    E-mail: markpenrod@kconline.com

If Mark wasn't available, or doesn't meet your timeline - I'd go out of state.

Greg's workload has been about 6 months, or less if you've got the parts.

Greg Tannel
    GRE'-TAN RIFLES LLC
    24005 Hwy. 13
    Rifle, CO, 81650
    970-878-5420

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    What is long range to you?

Do you own an action? Bolt gun or a semi-auto? Do you already own the barrel? Long lead times on some custom barrels right now..

Scoped or iron sight? Tactical or target rifle?

What you need for 1000 yards is not the same as what you need for 600 yards.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i would look at allen brown. he is not in northern indiana and i doubt he can get you a rifle in 6months. to be honest if a gunsmith can build you the rifle in 6months it would make me leary. if a rifle builder is not busy there may be a reason

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    How far 1000+ reason I don't want to wait a year is I have all the part so I just need barrel fitted and chambered and the usual trueing of the action lap lugs

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I can get the barrel fitted and the action trued and lugs lapped for you. That is easy. You will fit it into a stock? I can get that done for you too. What caliber for 1000+?

It isn't complicated, no matter how much the national names want you to think it is.

ambushunter

Plinker
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Northern IN
    sloughfoot, It will be a .338 cal. I know its not hard, the big names know that also. Just some I have used in the past are a one man show, and there backed up with lots of work. What rifles have you built? Have any references?

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    sloughfoot, It will be a .338 cal. I know its not hard, the big names know that also. Just some I have used in the past are a one man show, and there backed up with lots of work. What rifles have you built? Have any references?

I don't do the work myself, the competitive shooters around here have Mike Gingher, Bill Simon, and Jerry Johnson to lean on for this type of work. Any one of them can do a fine job of truing your action and chambering the barrel. Tom Meredith in Ft Wayne can build you a stock or just bed your action into it. Big Daddy (on this forum) can do this too.

You can sit there in Jerry's or Bill's workshop and drink coffee and chat while he does the work if you want. We are all friends and you are welcome to join us if you want. All these guys have been building rifles and competing with them for lots of years. No reason to send your rifle off for work to some unknown gunsmith, IMO. If it was up to me, I would have you lap your own lugs though.......

The references are the trophies on the wall and the good times with friends.

Last edited:

TonyT

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Central IN.
    When I was doing my research for rifles it quickly lead me to out of state rifle smiths.

This is where I ended up getting two rifles from. Custom Hunting Rifles - Sisk Custom Rifles

Charlie Sisk and a gun in AZ named DA Vanhorn built my Encore barrels are the two that I have used and recommend.

Its sad to say but quality rifle builders are not from Indiana.(or at least they were not 10 years ago when I was trying to get some built)

THe Market here does not support a professional full time quality rifle smith.
    I just got off the phone with Mark and he is busy but still taking on work. He is one of the best.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    I have personal experience with Alan Brown...aka...ajbrownarms.com He built a Rem 700 in .308 for me. McMillan A5 stock bedded, Mike Rock Barrel, Badger bottom metal, it just flat shoots. Couldn't find a nicer guy to work with. I realize he is in the southern portion of the state, but it was worth it.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Robert Working in South Bend. He won't answer the phone for a while though. He is busy competing at the Nationals.

No theory with this guy. He knows what works.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I have to throw another word in for Mr. Mark Penrod. He is an amazingly genuine guy, and is excellent on his timeline estimations. He is even usually done before he thinks he will be, especially if its something fun for him like a custom build. He does amazing work and I know several people who will go nowhere else. Also, I have NEVER heard of a buyer who went to Penrod Precision who didn't get EXACTLY what they wanted. Sometimes his prices are a little higher than other smiths, but his work is worth every penny in my mind.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    there are several... ray saltzman comes to mind, as well as a few others whose name is slipping my mind....

i DOUBT you will find anyone w/ less than a half a year of wait time..... building a rifle is NOT a quick turn around thing... i would say 6 months would be on the quick side, w/ 1 year being average if you take it to a KNOWN REPUTABLE smith.

+1 for Ray. He just built my .300WinMag and its an absolute beauty, not to mention a tack driver, and he is building my .223 Rem 700.

bluepkp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Ray Saltzman Custom .300WinMag

:rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:
    012.jpg

Top Bottom