• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UIndyKenneth

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Kokomo, IN
    Tonight, like many other nights, I had to go to Walmart for some random stuff that I needed. Tonight, I needed to go and get a bunch of envelopes and some packing tape. Most times that I go into Walmart around midnight, I choose to go with OC versus CC. I got to Walmart and had left my CC holster at home, so I decided to OC in my SERPA holster instead of choosing to leave my Sig SP2340 in my car. I walked in and like usual there were no disturbances, no problems, I was very nice and courteous to people. While I was in the stationary aisle figuring out which envelopes and what sizes I needed and looking for packing tape, I did hear some kid walk by and caught the end of a sentence that sounded like, "that guy has a gun strapped to him!" I ignored the kid and kept choosing my stationary. When I was leaving the aisle, two KPD LEO's were walking up one of the main aisles. I smiled, and said, "how's it going guys?" They smiled back and murmured their response cheerfully, but still looking around. After the lower part of my body was no longer blocked by the random stuff that Walmart puts int he middle of the aisle, they saw my handgun sitting on my hip. One LEO says, "Hey, man. We got a call about you."
    I replied, "Really? Ha. Okay. Would you like to see my LTCH? I have it on me."
    The same LEO says, "Yeah, that will work." So I handed him my LTCH and my driver's license after I put my boxes of envelopes on the ground.
    Before really looking at my information, the LEO says, "So I'm trying to figure out why you're carrying your gun out in the open like this?"
    Not having prepared a speech ahead of time, I said the first thing that came to my mind: "Uh... because I can." I thought that I may have an argument on my hands.
    The LEO smiled and responded to dispatch then looked back at me and said, "I understand that you can, but I was just curious why you would want to carry it like that versus concealed in Walmart. When I'm off duty, I never walk around in public displaying my firearm."
    I explained, "Well, I typically carry concealed in public, but tonight I left my CC holster at home and didn't want to leave my handgun in the car. So since my license allows me to do that, I did it."
    The LEO was very kind and responded, "Alright, I guess that makes sense." The LEO talked with dispatch for a second and then after a quiet moment I asked them if they knew my uncles who were on KPD.
    After I mentioned one of my uncle's names the LEO said, "Ohhhh, alright. This whole situation makes a little more sense now. One of your uncles is big into guns too." I laughed a little and then they gave my information back and he said I could go. When I turned to walk away, I noticed that two additional LEO's had been slowly walking up the main aisle while I had my back turned and had probably been there for most of the conversation.

I put my info and wallet away, picked up my stuff, told the officers I appreciated them doing their job and told them to have a good night, then walked up to the check-out, paid, and left.

A guy at the check-out said that he saw the LEO's come in and some young teenagers were waiting at the door and told the LEO's, "he's wearing an orange shirt and he's over there!"

The guy and I continued to talk about guns and LTCH. He has his LTCH and has had a somewhat bad experience with KPD before.

Overall, the LEO's were great. The whole conversation with them lasted around 2 minutes and it was done with no bad blood. Good experience with them. I guess the young bucks that called read my mind about how bad I wanted to stick-up the place while shopping for stationary.

:yesway: Thumbs up for courteous LEO's on KPD.:patriot:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    So how does it feel to be an apologist for the men who seized your person and took your liberty for even two minutes?

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    So how does it feel to be an apologist for the men who seized your person and took your liberty for even two minutes?

That was a little harsh, lol! If there's a "man with a gun" call the police have to respond in some fashion. It just goes to show the cops are not the only ones who need education on the matter. The general public does as well. We will just keep educating them one at a time. I don't suppose you had a chance to talk with whoever called?

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    The young kids probably called to distract the police while they stole CDs and RedBull.

I go to Kokomo for two things, IUK and Gun shows at the civic center. It's gone downhill since the auto industry canned.

thekuhnburger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    West Lafayette

As I see it, a police officer asking to see your ltch if you're carrying is no different than asking for your driver's license if you get pulled over. There is no reason to scream bloody murder over it. They didn't give him a hard time and congrats to the op on a smooth experience. I've heard less drama from teenage girls...

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Oh yeah, I meant to say I was glad it all worked out well and painlessly but I was thinking about the teenagers and what they were probably up to that I forgot. :)

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I'm glad the officers responded appropriately and didn't detain you any longer than necessary.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN

That's the double-edged sword for those who choose to open carry. Kinda like the First Amendment allows verbal drivel from those who shoot their mouth off just because they can. :cool:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    One LEO says: Hey, man. We got a call about you.

I replied: Really? Ha. Okay. Would you like to see my LTCH? I have it on me.

The same LEO says: Yeah, that will work." So I handed him my LTCH and my driver's license after I put my boxes of envelopes on the ground

There wasn't a seizure of his person because the LEOs never told him to stop doing what he was doing. UIndyKenneth voluntarily offered his LTCH, they never asked for it.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    The entire episode, which should never happen in a free society anyway, should have ended right after the LTCH was produced. Period. No need to ask why he was OC and explain that he never OC's when he is off duty. No "Thank you sir, sorry for the inconvenience.". Just a simple, "you are free to go". Awesome.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    If there's a "man with a gun" call the police have to respond in some fashion.

Really? Where's that statute?

The police do not have to respond to people obeying the law and the police should not.

"There's a man with a gun at Wal-Mart!"

"What is he doing?"

"He's, he's, he's buying Hanes t-shirts and socks!"

"We'll send a car right away."

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Really? Where's that statute?

The police do not have to respond to people obeying the law and the police should not.

"There's a man with a gun at Wal-Mart!"

"What is he doing?"

"He's, he's, he's buying Hanes t-shirts and socks!"

"We'll send a car right away."

or..... "wait officer, my crystal ball just lit up and he is not gonna shoot anyone, and he's not casing things so he can hold up the place, and I just got a glimpse of his License to Carry a Handgun that's on display in his wallet."

Fer cryin' out loud........ :rolleyes:

wait... maybe the response should be.... "everyone who carries a gun is perfectly within their rights, and you should be able to tell the difference between good guys and bad guys. If he starts shooting, call us back." ... that's what they tried to tell us in Viet Nam..... didn't work there either.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Everyone driving should be stopped to determine if they have a driver's license?

Everyone buying alcohol is a potential OWI?

Everyone shopping is a potential shoplifter?

Every male is a potential rapist?

There is a solution--carry a rifle.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Everyone driving should be stopped to determine if they have a driver's license?

Everyone buying alcohol is a potential OWI?

Everyone shopping is a potential shoplifter?

Every male is a potential rapist?

There is a solution--carry a rifle.

Driver's license... no
    OWI... yes
    shoplifter... yes
    potential rapist.. yes
    rifle... absolutely

did I pass, did I huh, did I ????? :rolleyes:

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    I can tell you one of the sets was an Officer in training. It is also standard procedure for KPD to back up another Officer on the midnight shift on about any call/stop they go on.

Sometimes they do get calls of a suspicious person in an orange shirt carrying a gun on his hip.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I can see it both ways.

But, common sense tells me that only a lawful person would intentionally OC a handgun.

But the rub is that it is lawful to oc a handgun, and for that a person should not interacted with by the police.

Like Kirkman said, it would be no different than pulling over every driver to check for a drivers license.

Jay

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I can see it both ways.

But, common sense tells me that only a lawful person would intentionally OC a handgun.

But the rub is that it is lawful to oc a handgun, and for that a person should not interacted with by the police.

Like Kirkman said, it would be no different than pulling over every driver to check for a drivers license.

Well..... I don't agree...... with all of that.....

Lawful open carry is never going to be completely understood, or accepted by the general public. An anti-gun person may call in a "man with a gun" just because they don't like guns, knowing full well that it's legal.

I'd venture to say that more folks know they're supposed to have a driver's license, than the number of folks that know that open carry is legal. (in Indiana)

I agree... but, how is anyone supposed to predict the INTENT of whoever is carrying that handgun? Just like the guy who rides his motorcycle through town every day.... he has tats all over, he's overweight, has a beard, wears a leather hat, and parks in his spot as the minister of a local church. :dunno:

Along with the legal ability to open carry, should be the knowledge that not everyone is going to know the law, nor is everyone going to agree with your right to open carry even if they are aware of that law.

Not right, but I think that's the way it is....

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Just because the sheeple doesnt know that its legal doesnt mean that the lawful people should be bothered for their ignorance.

When Im at a liquor store and I see people buying booze I dont call the police and report that I think they are going to drink it on the way home.

Top Bottom