• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • YoungMilsurpGuy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 18, 2013
    Crown Point
    Alright, so starting off, Im a pretty much broke college student who is sorta but not super deep into prepping.

So I was wondering what a good general use first aid kit would be for like $10 or so that I could keep in my apartment and car? Im thinking a feild dressing, gauze pads, tape, some kind of disinfectant, but what else?

And also, what is a cheap survival food that I could throw in my closet and not have to worry about? Im not gonna try to prep for like a full scale nuclear war or something, but what kind of gear would you guys think would be enough to get through 72 hours-a week? I have a case of water in my closet and a S&W model 10 for security, but what other gear on the cheap would you guys recommend?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Hit up the Wal-marx in the pharmacy department for the no name meds. Pick up some of the pain killers, generic Advil, sinus, and allergy boxes for a dollar each. For a week you will want more water, you will have to drink, cook and clean with it. If you have a solid place to store it and don't plan on having to carry food they you can't go wrong with canned food. Get a variety of veggies, fruits and meats that you already like to eat. Sort them by date and rotate them out.

Get a good first aid book. If you have a Kindle then go here everyday.PamsPrideRecommendations | Budget Friendly Kindle Downloads for homesteaders, preppers, and do-it-yourselfers. She posts free or low cost prepping books, the list changes each day.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    First Aid Kit: You need a core kit to start. WallyMart has a basic one for like $10. Add as you can. 4x4 gauze pads, roll wrap, tape, bigger bandaids, agree about some basic pain, anti dysentery, cold pills-generic cheapies work. Latex gloves, hand cleaner./ sanitizer . If you don't want a plastic box thing, use zip lock freezer bags. Smaller ones you can divide up stuff and label them with a sharpie.

Food: Ramen, cup a soup, hot cocoa mix, some saltines crackers, Beef Jerky. Get a couple things each shopping trip. Ton of non refrigerated stuff.

SHTF: Backpack-small, pocketknife, rain jacket, 550 paracord/ mason line, compass, whistle, Stainless Steel water bottle/ cup (to cook and or boil water), Spork
    cheapie headlamp/ mini mag lite, small tarp, Bic lighter/ferro rod/matches . Cotton balls(for tender-smear with Vaseline) roll of TP

Start real cheap, maybe get give aways, free from family, ask hunter uncles, or brothers for extra stuff. This gear will assist you with confidence, you need to practice.
    I consolidated couple of backpacks and made up enough gear to send my son to Colorado, fully stocked, less a pair of hiking boots that he will need to fit when he gets there.
    We all start small, but start now! Good luck!

Last edited:

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Cheap prepper food at Wallyworld:

Starkist Tuna in the pouch or can -- 3 yr shelf life
    Tyson Chicken in the pouch or can -- 3 yr shelf life
    Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup -- 3 yr shelf life
    Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder -- 2 yr shelf life
    Dinty Moore Beef Stew -- 4 yr shelf life!
    Snack Pack pudding -- No shelf life listed!

bauerr3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 29, 2013
    Southside
    Tagged for future use.

The Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder is a great idea, I had not thought of those for prepping. Sam's Club has bulk packages of them for cheap, we get them on a fairly regular basis

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    The Carnation Breakfast Essentials powder is a great idea, I had not thought of those for prepping. Sam's Club has bulk packages of them for cheap, we get them on a fairly regular basis

We get ours there too. We take the shelf life ratings with a bit of suspicion. Our pantry is room temperature & dark year 'round. We think we can get more mileage than quoted for most things.

MAJB Retired

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    :popcorn:

If you can find them,.....twinkies they have no expiration date...:):.................just kidding, they have high energy, but nothing else.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    First Aid Kit: You need a core kit to start. WallyMart has a basic one for like $10. Add as you can. 4x4 gauze pads, roll wrap, tape, bigger bandaids, agree about some basic pain, anti dysentery, cold pills-generic cheapies work. Latex gloves, hand cleaner./ sanitizer

I would agree with that.Get a basic/cheap first aid kit and add more things to it as you get more money, but more importantly more training.

Most cheap kits you will get will have enough stuff to treat little cuts and scratches but probably not major bleedings.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    White waterproof medical tape. Acts as tape and great bandaids too.
    Small alcohol wipes (large boxes are dirt cheap)
    Neosporin with pain killer
    Sudafed
    Benadryl
    Prefered pain killer
    Immodium AD
    Bandana

KNOWLEDGE. If you don't have them, check out books at the library

If you look around at the drug stores you will see these small white plastic boxes, they may have a small kit in them already, I forget. They are about the same size as part of a card of pills, right ratio/size, and I use them for travel, quick grab kits in truck and hunting gear as well. Then put the case in an aloksak and you are really rocking.

For food, get the local midweek flyers for the grocery stores and only buy what is on sale. You will save 25-40% that way. Focus on things like peanut butter and canned goods but remember there will be a lot of salt in those foods.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom