• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    I am looking for some opinions on good flashlights. I currently have a couple of SureFire 6P lights and love them. But I am also of the mindset you can never have too many good flashlights. With the market being flooded with flashights (you can pick them up at the counter of your local gas station) there are a lot to choose from. I am not sure how I feel about the LED flashlights. I don't really like the ones that have a flash mode. And I like the flashlights that have the pressure switch. And the SureFires I have were +$60 a piece. Although I would like a houseful of them, I really can't afford that.

Some feedback on the kinda of flashlights you like and why would be awesome!

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I have three Olight LED flashlights and love them. Bright and compact. One(S10R) is under 3" long, runs on one RCR123a battery and is in my pants pocket all the time now. The other two are M21X's.

What is your apprehension about LEDs?

bmiley1963

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    To be honest I think it is just a "what I am used to" issue. The LEDs seem to start off a little dimmer at first and get brighter. It is more of a white light than a standard bulb. Don't get me wrong, I have some of them, but I tend to lean towards the non-LED lights. Maybe it is just a "can't teach an old dog new tricks". LOL

Rocketscientist

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2014
    Valparaiso
    To be honest I think it is just a "what I am used to" issue. The LEDs seem to start off a little dimmer at first and get brighter. It is more of a white light than a standard bulb. Don't get me wrong, I have some of them, but I tend to lean towards the non-LED lights. Maybe it is just a "can't teach an old dog new tricks". LOL

I used to be the same way. My biggest love for LED's is that you never have to replace a bulb. It's a serious PITA when I'm right in the middle of something and drop the light and the bulb goes out. That, and you can get hundreds of times more brightness in an LED than any incandescent bulb ever made.

My EDC light of choice at the moment is a Streamlight Microstream in the pocket. Takes a regular AAA battery. Nice and small. Around $18

I also carry a Nitecore MH1A. Comes with a rechargeable battery, Can take regular AA's, and recharges with any standard micro USB cell charger. Multiple modes/Brightness levels. Love it! Around $60-70 depending where you find it.

I say find a store where you can go play with the product before making a decision. I tend to steer away from anything that takes CR123 batteries, mostly because I like the idea of being able to find a common replacement battery literally anywhere, up to and including under cushions of my couch right next to the potato chip crumbs. Don't fear the LED my friend! As soon as you start using one, you will start using your incandescents for doorstops.

theledwarehouse

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Vicksburg, MI
    Since you like your Surefire, why not try out a G2x? It will get you into a LED lights that is similar to what you have. You will instantly fall in love with the low mode as it's a nice level and doesn't eat your battery. High mode will blow away your 65 lumen 6p.
    Surefire G2X Pro Flashlight

Our INGO coupon code is good for 10% off, so that gets you under $60 for this light.

I'll dig a around a little, but I have a top 5 list of lights I recently did on another thread....

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Since you like your Surefire, why not try out a G2x? It will get you into a LED lights that is similar to what you have. You will instantly fall in love with the low mode as it's a nice level and doesn't eat your battery. High mode will blow away your 65 lumen 6p.
    Surefire G2X Pro Flashlight

Our INGO coupon code is good for 10% off, so that gets you under $60 for this light.

I'll dig a around a little, but I have a top 5 list of lights I recently did on another thread....

Looks good-ordered one for the Wife for Christmas..

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

What you want to look at in an LED is a neutral white instead of a cool white. The neutral white is closer to what a standard bulb looks like. It has better color retention and doesn't wash out. A high CRI and a warm white also have much better color retention but are aren't quite as bright usually. They can be a little harder to find but are worth the effort. There are many comparison videos on Youtube that show the difference.

I haven't bought a cool white light (other than a couple AAA pocket lights) in several years and don't miss them a bit.

Candlepower forums is a great resource for lights. There's more info there than one could ever retain.

VN Vet

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I like the NEBO Redline Flashlights that I've bought at Beech Grove Firearms. They have them in 300 lumins for around 35 dollars. They use 3 AAA and have adjustable power plus a strobe. They work great for me.

Plus they make great stocking stuffers here at Christmas time.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pistolpete68
    Top Bottom