• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    Would I need anything else to mount the holster and magazine carriers? This sounds like something I'd want, I've given up finding something without Velcro. Thanks.

No, you should be set after this purchase.

Just remember this is a competitor rig. It is something that is pretty heavy duty. It is not carry gear or a carry belt.

The 2 piece AA belt systems are rigid and hold shape and offer the advantage of keeping your shooting rig in one piece.
    With carry rigs you typically will have to thread every piece onto the belt each time you use it.

You can compete with carry gear, and I have, but the purpose built gear is much more appropriate.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    I've been planning to get that belt for EDC at some point, but would it be as versatile as a belt like DAA, for competition?
    Heh...the way i shot last weekend, i NEED 6 mags!

It is able to hold on to anything run through loops very well.

Depending on your intentions, this belt could be the only one you'd need. Meaning that if you plan to run your carry gear, this will work well. Know that most "gamers" don't run their carry gear because it slows them down.
    Personally, I like to run my carry gear for the basic matches that I attend to test things out before relying on it for EDC. Please know that I don't shoot IDPA or USPSA, but work to attend steel matches from time to time through the year.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    It is able to hold on to anything run through loops very well.

Please know that I don't shoot IDPA or USPSA, but work to attend steel matches from time to time through the year.

Same here. Just steel matches, no more than a couple of times a month. Just for fun and practice.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Would I need anything else to mount the holster and magazine carriers? This sounds like something I'd want, I've given up finding something without Velcro. Thanks.

https://www.aresgear.com

If you don't want Velcro...
    I have their Aegis model, and it works very well. Very stiff and holds weight well. Easily adjustable. The only reason I don't wear it daily is because I'm not allowed to carry at work. If I was, it would be my daily belt. You can find them a little cheaper from other sites.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    Well, this is kinda hard. Just when I think I have my mind made up, something changes it.
    Is anyone here familiar with Black Scorpion Gear? I have seen some nice looking rigs at the range, but I was put off by the velcro, which I'm now reconsidering. I wear lots of Dri-Fit/moisture-wicking shirts, and they snag on the velcro. Guess I could just not wear my newer shirts to the range on those days.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    https://www.aresgear.com

If you don't want Velcro...
    I have their Aegis model, and it works very well. Very stiff and holds weight well. Easily adjustable. The only reason I don't wear it daily is because I'm not allowed to carry at work. If I was, it would be my daily belt. You can find them a little cheaper from other sites.
    We can't carry at work either. I was tempted to this week, we had a stalker in the parking lot. :(

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    Double Alpha Belt.
    CR Speed Mag Carriers.
    Bladetech Dropped Offset Holster.

I use that combo on several of my rigs.

I would buy the Double Alpha belt one size larger than what your waste measures.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEa_CtabLQI&t=54s

+1 for this setup. I have the exact same setup for USPSA/3-gun and I really like it. The Double Alpha belt is very secure and sturdy. I second the comment about ordering one size larger than your actual waist measurement. If you do lose the weight, no biggie. You will just have more overlap on the belt.

The CR Speed mag carriers are very nice. They are easily adjustable for tension, and come with a variety of inserts for different mag types in case you decide to give Limited or Open a try at some point. I currently use 2 CR Speed pouches with my Limited setup, and have a BladeTech dual mag pouch if I decide to shoot Production and need extra mags.

Even shooting a .45, IMO you should only need 4 carriers. 32 rounds is the max for a USPSA stage, although there might be steel in there also. Load one out of your pocket on the "Load and Make Ready" command (8 rounds), you've got 4 (32 rounds) on your belt and maybe have one more in your pocket for an emergency back-up due to lack of accuracy or a mechanical failure. If you get to a 6th mag, your stage probably isn't going well anyways and the extra second or 2 pulling one out of your pocket probably won't matter that much.

Last edited:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    +1 for this setup. I have the exact same setup and I really like it. The Double Alpha belt is very secure and sturdy. I second the comment about ordering one size larger than your actual waist measurement. If you do lose the weight, no biggie. You will just have more overlap on the belt.

The CR Speed mag carriers are very nice. They are easily adjustable for tension, and come with a variety of inserts for different mag types in case you decide to give Limited or Open a try at some point. I currently use 2 CR Speed pouches with my Limited setup, and have a BladeTech dual mag pouch if I decide to shoot Production.

I've spent several hours online shopping and doing research today. So, those CR Speed mag carriers will work with 1911 45 ACP mags? I've read some differing reviews, but i can't imagine why they wouldn't work. Check these out on eBay. Too good to be true? They don't look like the same thing. IPSC USPSA Adjust Angle & Tension Universal CR Speed Pistol Magazine Mag Pouch

sdtech58

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Z'ville
    I've spent several hours online shopping and doing research today. So, those CR Speed mag carriers will work with 1911 45 ACP mags? I've read some differing reviews, but i can't imagine why they wouldn't work. Check these out on eBay. Too good to be true? They don't look like the same thing. IPSC USPSA Adjust Angle & Tension Universal CR Speed Pistol Magazine Mag Pouch

These are the ones I have.

https://www.amazon.com/Speed-Versa-...=UTF8&qid=1499456863&sr=8-2&keywords=cr+speed

Looks like there are some cheap knock-offs out there just like these that may work. I believe in "buy once, cry once". YMMV.

If you wanted to go really cheap, run 3 of these on your normal belt. Could also use them if you decide to get a competition belt sometime down the road and don't want to drop the cash all at once.

~https://www.amazon.com/Uncle-Mikes-...41&sr=1-2&keywords=paddle+magazine+holder+191

Last edited:

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    32 rounds is the max for a USPSA stage, although there might be steel in there also. Load one out of your pocket on the "Load and Make Ready" command (8 rounds), you've got 4 (32 rounds) on your belt and maybe have one more in your pocket for an emergency back-up due to lack of accuracy or a mechanical failure. If you get to a 6th mag, your stage probably isn't going well anyways and the extra second or 2 pulling one out of your pocket probably won't matter that much.

Just a FYI 32 rounds is not the max per stage at the club matches but most adhere to that.
    Silver Creek this Sunday has a 50 round and 36 round stage although that is unusual.

Top Bottom