Good 'gun box'/safe with simplex style lock? For the nightstand/beside the bed.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • possumpacker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    parke co
    i keep the safe on the nightstand open as i dont trust gadgets in an emergency. the small safe is cabled down with 2 guns inside and lid open.. when i get up in the morning i put on the carry gun for the day and close and lock the other one inside.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    i keep the safe on the nightstand open as i dont trust gadgets in an emergency. the small safe is cabled down with 2 guns inside and lid open.. when i get up in the morning i put on the carry gun for the day and close and lock the other one inside.
    I have a 2 year old that is extremely smart - he could get to said firearm while I was sleeping - so it stays locked.

dprimm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2013
    Just West of Indianapolis
    I have a barska biometric for quick access. I can get it open in less than 2 seconds. The ONLY thing I don't like is the beeping noise it makes. To be honest, I have not looked to see if I can shut that off. Key backup.

I got ahold of barska. They sent me the directions to turn off the beeping! I will get that done this weekend and update. Eliminates my complaint. Buy one!

seabassnfg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2014
    Valpo
    everyone following this thread. . I just got my v-line brute in the mail today. It is the best $205 I've ever spent. If you are looking for a small pistol safe, you need to buy this safe! It's built like a Mac truck! I'll take some pictures tomorrow and try to post them asap

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    You need to bolt it to something. I say this from recent experience. We had a home break in last month and I lost 2 handguns, 150 rounds of JHP and a good holster because the thief walked away with my pistol safe that was not bolted down. :facepalm:

That happened to a neighbor. I helped him carry one of those gun "safes" that are just sheet metal lockers with a key lock on the door up to his apartment. It was pretty light even without a hand truck. I told him how to bolt it into a closet. He never got around to securing it and shortly later, his place got broken into and they took the whole locker. All he really did was to provide a carry case so the theives could get everything in one trip.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have a 2 year old that is extremely smart - he could get to said firearm while I was sleeping - so it stays locked.

Then avoid these models / brands:

[video=youtube;erGOJxQIf5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erGOJxQIf5c[/video]

OT: Can anyone figure out what language that is? Spanish?

Topshot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 16, 2015
    Terre Haute
    This is what I went with for my car safe. Also it was the cheaps place I could find it. Fort Knox Pistol Box - FREE SHIPPING - Gun Safes America

Here are some pics of mine.

Also here is the other one that I like too.

Resurrecting another older thread... going along with the comment about securing the safe to something in the event of break-in while not present, it seems to me a small crowbar would easily disengage either of these as most seat backs are very thin metal (if metal at all) and OSB (that looks like a laminate countertop) isn't going to hold long even with lag bolts. I also don't get attaching to a nightstand since they can just take the whole nightstand (or bust it apart).

I had been thinking about getting a quick access safe for each level of the house and was thinking bolted to the floor or wall would be best. I like the simplicity and reliability of simplex locks but can't for the life of me figure out why they don't make some with more than 5 buttons. It would only take an hour for someone to run through the 1000+ combinations if they couldn't take the whole safe. Just 1 more button would greatly increase that.

I also want something for the cars for where I can't legally carry, but nothing is looking ideal since we have small sedans so no room under the seat from the front. I'd have to get out, get in the back seat and then put it under the seat. Tried putting under the back of the passenger seat from the driver's and I just can't reach well enough. I have no center console so glove box or trunk. Glove box is too small to hold even a tiny safe nor any way to easily attach cable. Trunk I don't see how you can be that discreet even if you remove your firearm from concealment beforehand. That would be easier in the winter I suppose. I have thought about cabling just the gun itself without a safe. It would have to go down the barrel or mag well though because a trigger guard would easily be compromised. That may be the simplest right there. Thoughts on a solution?

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    Resurrecting another older thread... going along with the comment about securing the safe to something in the event of break-in while not present, it seems to me a small crowbar would easily disengage either of these as most seat backs are very thin metal (if metal at all) and OSB (that looks like a laminate countertop) isn't going to hold long even with lag bolts. I also don't get attaching to a nightstand since they can just take the whole nightstand (or bust it apart).I had been thinking about getting a quick access safe for each level of the house and was thinking bolted to the floor or wall would be best. I like the simplicity and reliability of simplex locks but can't for the life of me figure out why they don't make some with more than 5 buttons. It would only take an hour for someone to run through the 1000+ combinations if they couldn't take the whole safe. Just 1 more button would greatly increase that.I also want something for the cars for where I can't legally carry, but nothing is looking ideal since we have small sedans so no room under the seat from the front. I'd have to get out, get in the back seat and then put it under the seat. Tried putting under the back of the passenger seat from the driver's and I just can't reach well enough. I have no center console so glove box or trunk. Glove box is too small to hold even a tiny safe nor any way to easily attach cable. Trunk I don't see how you can be that discreet even if you remove your firearm from concealment beforehand. That would be easier in the winter I suppose. I have thought about cabling just the gun itself without a safe. It would have to go down the barrel or mag well though because a trigger guard would easily be compromised. That may be the simplest right there. Thoughts on a solution?
    I have thought of those thing in hopes to slow someone down. Nothing is full prof, give someone enough time they will get into it. Sense you quoted me I wil add that the safe that is under the counter is not bolted to the counter top. It is bolt to the back of the cabinet with a 5/8 bolt with a piece of steel behind it and also there are two 4 inch by 5/8 lag bolts going into the studs of the wall. The one in my car has four 1/2 inch bolts that goes through the metal behind the seat along with 3 inch washers.

Yosarian87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2011
    NWI
    The libertys are decent. Long battery life. Been over a year and hasn’t died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I got two Liberty HDX-250 Smart Vaults at Cabela’s (the bronze special edition with the American flag imprint on top) for $185 each and I’m happy with them.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I have the same Ft Knox in LoneHoosier's first pic. It's excellent. For reasonable secure storage that's fast access and doesn't need batteries or electrical power, I know of nothing better.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I have a regular V-line top draw and love it as well. It is cabled to a stud. I am sure someone could cut it, but it would slow them down. I wonder if maybe a chain and pad lock would slow them down a bit more?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have the same Ft Knox in LoneHoosier's first pic. It's excellent. For reasonable secure storage that's fast access and doesn't need batteries or electrical power, I know of nothing better.
    Anyone know if they’re waterproof/weatherproof for mounting in a Jeep That is naked starting next week until October?

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I doubt it would pass any kind of IP54 or IP67 testing. It's made from steel that is powdercoated with a gray hammerflake finish. I'm sure it would rust if the coating is compromised. I would consider it appropriate for mounting in a vehicle, but inside where it would have some protection from elements. Even then, I'd expect it to show rust or such eventually.

mergatroid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2018
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Hi all. Hope you don't mind me adding my experience.

I had a GunVault mini standard for about 15 years and finally stopped working. So I replaced it with a new one. Like it just fine for my bedroom. I bought a the larger GunVault, for the office. It has a shelf and a light. Both have spring loaded doors and you can turn off the beep!

I bought and then sold a GunVault biometric. I could not get it to reliably read my finger print! What junk. Could not get it out of the house fast enough.

I will be looking for some increased security in the car in the near future. Glove box for now.

Top Bottom