• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    When loading .30-06 cartridges for use in an M1 garand, what is a good recipe. I'd like to reproduce the military M2 ball ammo. What style and weight bullet is that and what kind of velocity does it produce?

Are there any warnings about loading ammo for a Garand?

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Go to this link. CMP Forums Scroll down to ASK EACH OTHER, there is a Reloading subsection, there is some very useful information regarding reloading for the M1 Garand. Also, you can register with the forum, log in, and do a search regarding reloading for M1 Garand. If you can secure a copy of the latest Hornady Reloading Manual, there is a section specific to reloading for the M1 Garand.
    Hope this helps you.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Go to this link. CMP Forums Scroll down to ASK EACH OTHER, there is a Reloading subsection, there is some very useful information regarding reloading for the M1 Garand. Also, you can register with the forum, log in, and do a search regarding reloading for M1 Garand. If you can secure a copy of the latest Hornady Reloading Manual, there is a section specific to reloading for the M1 Garand.
    Hope this helps you.

^^this ^^
    plus I would add, The accurate manual I have has a section for AR, M1A, and Garand using all appropriate AA powders for service rifle competitions.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    What ever you do, don't load to commercial 30-06 specs...as you can hurt the rifle (typically op-rod gets bent more than it should).

There are some good loads with IM4895 out there that either use the 147gr FMJBT projectile from 7.62Nato (can usually find surplus pulled bullets for good prices), as well as 150gr HDY FMJBT designed for the 7.62 or .308Win. Of note though, the cannular is not going to be in the right place for 30.06 loaded to the right OAL for M2 ball.

Recently I found Wideners was selling new production 150gr M2 ball repicas. I've loaded them to the same specs as the 150gr HDY FMJBT's and had good success.

What is listed for M2 ball on Master Po's site is also probably a little hot. I'm down about 2 grains from that and getting high 2600FPS velocities.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Here is another link from the CMP Forum. Commercial Ammo Data. - CMP Forums

If the link doesn't work, go to the CMP Forum and do a search for:

Commerical Ammo Data

This discusses various commerical ammo and the effects on the operating rod. It has some very good and surprising info.

Also, one can install an adjustable gas plug to shoot commerical ammo.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    M2 ball is a 150 grain flat based bullet. The load data for an exact duplicate is available all over the web. I won't post it here because it just is not necessary, plus more than likely you will be using a 150 grain BT-FMJ or maybe a 147 BT-FMJ.

Appropriate powders for the 30.06 are the 4895's, 4064, 748, varget, and several others. I like to load for about 2600 fps. It is plenty accurate and easy on a 75 year old design.

Hornady publishes service rifle data for 30.06, 308, and 223. This manual and info you can find on the CMP website should be helpful.

Top Bottom