• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    With AR's and AK's so hard to find I was thinking about looking to buy me a good long range heavy barrel rifle. Something to take to the range and spend a day hitting the target.

I kind of already set me up with a goal of 250 yards.

so what would be the best rifle and caliber that well help me reach my goal and plus a couple hundred yards and still be a far price.

I have a set price at no more then 1300 dollars if I can help it.

:patriot:

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    There are plenty of rifles that will shoot well for that price or less. Remington XCR, Savage, Weatherby, Howa, CZ. Your choice is probable a dozen or so good to great rifles. If you're talking great glass and an MOA shooter for $1300...the list narrows a bit. I'd say Howa or Savage with a Burris or Zeiss Scope.

Caliber choice? .223 or .308 and you can't go wrong to start with.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    For a 250 yard rifle basically any centerfire caliber will work fine from 223 up. If I were to start your project today I would probably go with a 243. I fw months ago I would have said 223, but we all know ammo is difficult to find right now.

As for a scope you dont need anything overly fancy, but you do need quality. make sure you dont spend so much on the rifle you cant get quality rings, base, and scope. I 500 dollar savage will fit your bill fine, assuming your not wanting a bench rest rifle.

What are your accuracy requirements at 250 yards?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    if I can hit dead center I be happy. But really I dont know. I have never done long range shooting.

I been shooting my handguns and with spring coming soon i want to get out early and start off with a nice new rifle.

If i had the money i would love to own a 50 caliber BMG rifle. but i think something small and easy well do for now.

I well take any help in long range shooting i can get. My ultimate goal would be to make the one mile shot ( 1760 yards).

but what is the best action in a long range rifle, bolt or semi auto?

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    if I can hit dead center I be happy. But really I dont know. I have never done long range shooting.

I been shooting my handguns and with spring coming soon i want to get out early and start off with a nice new rifle.

If i had the money i would love to own a 50 caliber BMG rifle. but i think something small and easy well do for now.

I well take any help in long range shooting i can get. My ultimate goal would be to make the one mile shot ( 1760 yards).

but what is the best action in a long range rifle, bolt or semi auto?

Setting up a rifle for 250 yard shots, and setting up a rifle you can grow into like that is completly diffrent things. You will not get a rifle you can shoot 1 mile with for under 1300 dollars. That kind of distance is expensive.

Also that type of range effects caliber selection.

You will probably be better served to get a 250 yd rifle now, and see how you like longer range shooting, then get a new rifle for your ultimate goal.

250 yards can be done with bolt action, or semi. Once you get to longer ranges you will more than likely want a bolt action

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2012
    Zionsville, IN
    Setting up a rifle for 250 yard shots, and setting up a rifle you can grow into like that is completly diffrent things. You will not get a rifle you can shoot 1 mile with for under 1300 dollars. That kind of distance is expensive.

Also that type of range effects caliber selection.

You will probably be better served to get a 250 yd rifle now, and see how you like longer range shooting, then get a new rifle for your ultimate goal.

250 yards can be done with bolt action, or semi. Once you get to longer ranges you will more than likely want a bolt action

Thank you for your help. This well give me something to think about to night and in the coming weeks. I well look up each rifle name and spend some time reading about them before I make my next gun purchase.

thanks again ingo members.:patriot:

Regnar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Knox
    What kind of shoot are we talking? Punching paper? Banging steel? Or predator/varmint hunting.
    The amount of recoil needs to be addressed also, bigger caliber equals more punishment.
    A dozen shots of a low BC bullet in .30 aren't bad, but can you deal with that abuse for a few hundred?
    You have to know your expectations.
    Then consider the cost of shooting, ie ammo and barrel life.
    Think, think, think...
    My head hurts

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    One mile

Stacking bullets into a 2" bullseye at 250 yards is a fairly realistic expectation for a lot of .223s right out of the box, with decent glass. However, "a one mile shot" is a pretty vague phrase when you get right down to it. Are you talking about hitting a semi-trailer sized target or a 18" bullseye? I have shot with guys who have legitimate one mile guns and they are amazing. One mile is a crazy difficult undertaking and requires a lot of money and a lot of practice. For most of us, one mile is fantasy land!

While you're looking, look up Stiller Diamondback Drop Port actions and check out this scope. http://marchscopes.com/tactical-8-80-x-56.html

Now you're talking one mile guns!

Last edited:

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    The difference between 250 yards and a mile is quite extreme. Many people zero their long range rifles at 200 yards, so 250 yards is practically point blank range. But there is no reason why you couldn't get a decent 600-1000 yard rifle for $1300.

I'd start with a Remington 700 or Savage 10 in your caliber of choice, and you'll have a rifle that you can upgrade and have fun with for a long time.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    .204Ruger Savage 10/11 and put a decent scope on it. Dead flat to 275yds, no recoil to speak of, not real expensive ammo. Won't go a mile but I doubt you will ever realy shoo that far, why and where would you?

If you want to go a mile, 50 cal or 338 Lapua and you ain't going to be shooting that at the 250yds range.

Lycurgus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Is it just to shoot targets or are you wanting to hunt something with it,if so what type of critter?

lmyer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    South Bend
    With AR's and AK's so hard to find I was thinking about looking to buy me a good long range heavy barrel rifle. Something to take to the range and spend a day hitting the target.

I kind of already set me up with a goal of 250 yards.

so what would be the best rifle and caliber that well help me reach my goal and plus a couple hundred yards and still be a far price.

I have a set price at no more then 1300 dollars if I can help it.

:patriot:

Used 6BR or 6ppc. These rifles will definitely outshoot you and most everyone else, even after the benchrest guys are done with them. Low recoil and screaming velocities. 0.2 to 0.3 MOA is fairly common. It's inherent to the cartridge design. Probably you would want to handload as ammo is pretty expensive. Good out to 300+ yards but must use the right bullets for longer distances.

Definitely a rifle that does much more than make a lot of noise. If you want to shoot a small number of rounds very accurately and amaze people - it's a real bargain. If you just want to pop off a lot of shots and make noise, it wouldn't be the rifle for you.

Last edited:

jimd46902

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Kokomo
    I used to think like you that 250 yards was far, then I went to South Dakota antelope hunting. The guide looked at me like I was stupid when I said I had never shot at an animal at 400 yards... they were very spooky in 2011 and that was the closest shot I got... finally scored after I settled down and relaxed. That was with a Remington 700 ADL in 243 and it did the job fine. Since then I found out there is a shooting group in Northern Indiana that shoot tight groups off hand with old single shot rifles at 200 yards and out West with black powder cartridge rifles at 1000 yards. The same group here in Indiana shoots 22 LR at 100 yards offhand... I need to practice!

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    If you are looking to develop and regularly shoot past 5-600yds, I might look at a .308 over a .223. That being said, many folks find the .223 works just fine out to 7-800yds (which requires a significant amount of skill development over a 250yd shot.)

At your budget, I think you would be able to get a solid 4-500yd rifle and optics to learn and grow. With some upgrades, the same rifle should be able to take you out to 700-1000yds. I would put most of my funds in optics (including rings and mount) that cover a couple of years of growth as rifle upgrades are additive (i.e. you can often leave the rest of the rifle untouched and only change the part being upgraded) but optics upgrades are normally more of a complete replacement replacement than an upgrade.

Top Bottom