Good news is, I didn't get arrested today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Papabeargsh

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Anderson
    I am wondering will this keep him from getting a new LTCH? I know he was not charged, but his handgun was confiscated, so there has to be some kind of paper trail for that right? Thank God I have a Lifetime LTCH!!!

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Where's the authority for the police to retain seized ammunition, even after the associated firearm is ordered returned to its rightful owner?

No authority. (that I know of)
    They will assume that it costs too much for you to fight it and get it back.
    It's a stupid game.

Killion

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    Indianapolis/warren
    I would definitely not inform anyone that you are carrying.....especially unless you know your **** is squared away!!! Its YOUR business that you have a firearm and nobody else's!!!! You would have had a ticket and kept your gun. Loose lips sink ships

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    OP got a huge break. He was in violation of the law, the cops could have cuffed and stuffed but didn't I can't see the calls for a lawyer. The cops cut OP a huge break. Why punish them for that? OP should lean the lesson to keep his stuff straight and on the line to avoid future run ins.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    What??? The OP said he got a warning for speeding. What charges would he have reduced??? A speeding warning is not going to cause him to be denied for a LTCH???

nm0369

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Indy Southside
    I see what people are alluding to.... in regards to not informing. So who has actually said "I don't have anything illegal in the vehicle" when asked about weapons? How did that interaction go?

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    First thing I would try is to get my LTCH renewed and upgrade to a lifetime then take the new LTCH to the PD and see if they will just return the weapon. If that did not work then get a lawyer, no sense in cornering the rat if you don't need to.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    She didn't HAVE to take your gun to the property room...not sure why she chose to do so unless she was unfamiliar with the law change (the one that allows transport by non-licensees). I don't think I would have taken it, but I don't know all your circumstances or details of the encounter.
    As for there being a report or paper trail as to why your gun is down there, there is nothing. The property slip is just marked "for safe keeping" and "return to claimant" with your name being in the "claimant" field. All you need is your ID to be able to claim your property. As long as the officer submitted the firearm and the ammunition, you will get both back.

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    The LEO could have 100% misrepresented the situation, and plan on filing charges on me later, before her shift ends. I honestly don't think that's the case. She even initially confiscated the two extra magazines I had in the side compartment of my truck door, but then she gave them back to me (sans bullets). She did not have to do that. She could have kept my two extra magazines, she could have kept my knives, she could have had her Backup throw me to the ground and put a boot on my neck. She even seemed to be worried that I might have a problem with her actions and be a complainer. I straight out told her that I have no complaints for her supervisor, and that I realized that this day could have gone WAY WORSE for me. By the way, these two guys who showed up for backup were two extremely nice, and professional officers.

She was guarded, but she was very respectful & I think she was honestly a good person with good intentions. I may be the most Naïve person here, but I don't think so. I've dealt with people for a living for most of my adult life and I believe her when she said she was going to give me a break and I could pick up my weapon in a few days from the property room.

Top Bottom