Good news is, I didn't get arrested today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I would definitely not inform anyone that you are carrying.....especially unless you know your **** is squared away!!! Its YOUR business that you have a firearm and nobody else's!!!! You would have had a ticket and kept your gun. Loose lips sink ships
    Yes, but when the LEO, calls in his DL, his LTCH, shows up now, and then when he is asked for LTCH, he hands it to LEO, and it is found to be expired, where is he now ?????

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    That makes no sense if true sense you can transport a firearm legally without the LTCH

And why would she disarm you before she knew if you had an LTCH? Fail on her part for being a nervous Nelly.

Why does the State get to keep his ammunition?

"...nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation." - Amendment V, excerpt

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Just spitballing here, but maybe when it is confiscated due to a crime being committed it is no longer "private property"...

Funnily enough, I don't see that exception in the Fifth Amendment. Or in any amendment of either our national or our State Constitutions.

Weird.

If they're letting him go with a slap on the wrist in exercising their 'discretion' (also not a phrase I really see mentioned in either document), I don't see why they get to keep his ammunition. Either it's all gravy or OP should rightfully be sitting in the back of the squad car.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other?

(Glad for OP that he's not in jail, even though he knows well that he very well could be there at this moment.)

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    Funnily enough, I don't see that exception in the Fifth Amendment. Or in any amendment of either our national or our State Constitutions.

Weird.

If they're letting him go with a slap on the wrist in exercising their 'discretion' (also not a phrase I really see mentioned in either document), I don't see why they get to keep his ammunition. Either it's all gravy or OP should rightfully be sitting in the back of the squad car.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other?

(Glad for OP that he's not in jail, even though he knows well that he very well could be there at this moment.)

Agreed. None of that is in the amendment, but why would we follow the constitution anyhow?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Yes, but when the LEO, calls in his DL, his LTCH, shows up now, and then when he is asked for LTCH, he hands it to LEO, and it is found to be expired, where is he now ?????

I'm not sure why they'd have reason to ask for it unless they knew you were actually carrying. :dunno:

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I see what people are alluding to.... in regards to not informing. So who has actually said "I don't have anything illegal in the vehicle" when asked about weapons? How did that interaction go?
    I said "nothing illegal" when asked if I had any drugs or weapons. The officer was oblivious to the carbine sitting on the back seat, and the gun in my holster.

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    I I'm not going to make a stink that my rights were violated. I broke the rules, now I have to jump through hoops.

Do you have the right to carry a handgun if you do not have an LTCH? I'm not sure your rights were violated.

For some reason, on this forum we usually hear bad police encounters and we even get some police bashing. The officers I know personally are all outstanding men, and it's good to hear of encounters that resemble how I imagine my friends would go about their duty. Thanks for your report! Officer Howard is definitely hot for handling the situation in such a generous manner. So there's your answer, VERT.

Please keep us informed. I hope you get your gun & ammo back. Good luck!

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Do you have the right to carry a handgun if you do not have an LTCH?

Well... Yes. On a fundamental level the right does exist, and the requirement of the LTCH is actually an infringement of that right.

Seems like I read somewhere that the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. :dunno:

Vamptepes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2013
    Eagledale
    So you were speeding past school 108. That's my neck of the woods. I've been pulled over a couple times for lights being out etc. The worst thing i've had to deal with was they took my .40s&w unloaded it completely and put the bullets and mag in a sealed traffic violations envelope and then ran a zip-tie through my gun and told me i could reload it when they leave. I never had to get out when i had a gun on me but i did have 2 cops with guns in hand as i was pulling it out of my holster to hand it to them.

Another time i was down in brownsburg right off of 56th street and got pulled over by 2 state troopers for speeding. Just got off of work and was heading to a friends house. My coworker and i were asked to exit the vehicle and they seperated us and had us in cuffs playing 20-questions on how we know each other and where we were going. Even though we had or name badges and we're dressed the same they didn't believe we knew each other. I also had blood on the back gate of my truck from a deer and a bunch of spent shell casings from target practice in the bed so they searched us and my vehicle. They found machetes and some other tools (which they called weapons) and after all that they let me go and confiscated a knife i had that happened to be a butterfly knife i used for cutting wire and other things when i worked on my car.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana
    gosh dang JBT's always confiscating our guns Seriously though! That officer did everything right IMO. I'm glad the OP wasn't arrested and the officer used good judgement and only gave the OP a warning! Miraculous!

So, since when has the law changed that a person is Guilty until proven innocent? In my opinion, from the original post, that is the officer didn't know the license was expire, she immediately proceeded to the point of he is guilty. Could have simply issued the ticket and went on her way. -1 for officers and -1 for OP for letting his license expire

Concerned Citizen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm not sure why they'd have reason to ask for it unless they knew you were actually carrying. :dunno:

I keep a CRKT Tactical knife on my left side, tucked in my pocket but clipped onto my pocket. When I leaned to the right to get my wallet out of my left pocket, she was apparently observing pretty closely. She then asked "Do you have any weapons in the truck besides that knife?" She didn't specifically ask about firearms. Yes, I could have said the "Nothing illegal" line, but I didn't already have that in the front of my mind. It kinda through me for a curve her even asking that question. I have been pulled over many times over the years and never been asked, and have never offered the fact that I was carrying.

lyons0425

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    Why does the State get to keep his ammunition?

"...nor shall private property be taken for public use without just compensation." - Amendment V, excerpt

I think the other side of the police keeping ammunition is they likely have no way of properly storing ammunition in the evidence/property locker. It is easier to destroy it (likely use it on the range) than determine its age/condition. More likely than not they don't want to get sued by returning property that they could have made worse by being improperly stored. Don't get me wrong, I'd still be pissed.

Top Bottom