• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    i few weeks back i posted some questions about the 4473. i wasnt sure if i was going to be able to own a firearm due to mental history and arrests (when i was 17). i spoke with a lawyer (which he carries also) and he pretty much said i could get one. im pretty excited, now the new question i have is how long does it take to get the gun after i pay for it? i know they have to call the FBI and they have to clear me first but i wasnt sure how about this whole thing works. im looking to purchase a glock23 (40s&w) they are charging me $563 after all the sales tax. another thing is im left handed so im needing a left handed holster. do any of you guys prefer a style of holster over another? and one last thing when i get my ccw to carry is there any place i can NOT carry my glock? thanks for taking the time to help me out guys.

DarkEyes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    Danville
    You can leave with it in under 10 min. Or get delayed and you have to wait 5 days max. Or you get denied.
    I get to wait.. No reason really just a random chance.
    Check the FAQ for where you can not carry.

Last edited:

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    A few times it has been an almost unbearable 5 minute wait after the paperwork was done before I was walking out the door with my new firearm. If your 4473 is good and you're given a go when they do the call and you've either got the cash or you're paying with credit that is accepted, you'll be on your way rather quickly. Couldn't tell you about holsters for lefties as I don't have to worry about that.

Indiana isn't a CCW state. You can carry open or concealed. Indiana Code TITLE 35, Article 47 Table of Contents You can read through the stuff on the link and if you've got any questions, I'm sure there will be quite a few people that will be along to get you sorted.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    thanks so what kind of permit do i need to carry? whats it called exactly? i know i can just go to the police station and apply but i want to make sure im getting the right thing.

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    i few weeks back i posted some questions about the 4473. i wasnt sure if i was going to be able to own a firearm due to mental history and arrests (when i was 17). i spoke with a lawyer (which he carries also) and he pretty much said i could get one. im pretty excited, now the new question i have is how long does it take to get the gun after i pay for it?unless there's a hitch in the NCIS check, and you get delayed, you should walk out with it right after paying i know they have to call the FBI and they have to clear me first but i wasnt sure how about this whole thing works. im looking to purchase a glock23 (40s&w) they are charging me $563 after all the sales tax.sounds a bit high another thing is im left handed so im needing a left handed holster.you've been a lefty all your life? then you know the drill. you aren't going to find squat "on the shelf", so off to google. any reputable maker of holsters will have a LH model available. do any of you guys prefer a style of holster over another? everybody has a personal preference, and only you can determine yoursand one last thing when i get my ccw to carry is there any place i can NOT carry my glock? schools & airport, gov't bldgs with a metal detector, there should be an FAQ on this thanks for taking the time to help me out guys.you seem like a reasonable person

I'm glad things are working out for you.

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    Max 5 days assuming you get delayed (only 3 out comes to a 4473, approved, denied, or delayed)

I prefer the Crossbread supertuck for concealed carry. You can order it in either left hand or right hand.

The Glock is a good choice!

J10

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Morgan County
    thanks so what kind of permit do i need to carry? whats it called exactly? i know i can just go to the police station and apply but i want to make sure im getting the right thing.

The lifetime handgun carry permit is the best choice. You need to apply at your local Sheriffs office. (I don't know if you can apply at a police station)

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana

It is called LTCH (license to carry a handgun). You can do the application online and get electronic fingerprints (if available in your county, I think it is for most if not all by now). Application for Handgun License

Here are locations for electronic printing. http://www.l1enrollment.com/locations/?st=in

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    if i down receive my ltcw before i pick up my gun is there any certain things i have to do? i was told i need a lock box to carry it in the car and to put it in the trunk until i get home but im not sure. last thing i want is to drag this whole thing out more than i have to.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    if i down receive my ltcw before i pick up my gun is there any certain things i have to do? i was told i need a lock box to carry it in the car and to put it in the trunk until i get home but im not sure. last thing i want is to drag this whole thing out more than i have to.

If you arenot in possession of a LTCH when you get your new toy, you do not need a lock box in Indiana. Just leave it in the case or box it comes in, and do not load it.
    Drive home, or to a range. It's just that easy. You do not need a license to transport in Indiana anymore. Only if you want to "carry".

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    NICS (the FBI check) is what will hold you or not. If you don't have anything yucky or in error on it, you'll be out the door same day. Teenagers are often confused or whatnot, but if you can answer all the questions on the 4473 truthfully as an adult, that won't stop you. Otherwise, a few days or not at all, but it sounds like you're good. I got my first 4 year, then lifetime through Carmel PD, so it doesn't have to be the sheriff, depending where you live.

You can find some left handed holsters at gunshows sometimes, or random ones in stores, but you can never count on it and I've always just ordered them online. My EDC is in a Crossbreed Minituck, but look at the Supertuck for a Glock. Gotta warn you, you might wind up trying a few before you find the magic one. It depends how you dress, how you're shaped, how long your arm is, yadda yadda. Your belt is very important, too. Mine is from Beltman, but there are many options.

williamsburg

Master
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Nov 12, 2011
    Oaklandon

lifetime LTCH (indiana license to carry handgun) is what you should get

and you apply to the law enforcement that would show up at your house if you was to call 911. if they pass it on to the county sheriff then you go there.

congrats on the other issues working out for you.

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    thanks everyone. i just put money down on my model 23 today so i will keep you guys updated. if anyone out prays send some my way. kinda nervous about the whole thing. its the first gun i ever got from a dealer and i will be heart broken if it falls through. im hoping it doesnt since i talked to a lawyer and he gave me the "good news' its still not up to him if they let me have it or not. haha

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    i few weeks back i posted some questions about the 4473. i wasnt sure if i was going to be able to own a firearm due to mental history and arrests (when i was 17). i spoke with a lawyer (which he carries also) and he pretty much said i could get one. im pretty excited, now the new question i have is how long does it take to get the gun after i pay for it? i know they have to call the FBI and they have to clear me first but i wasnt sure how about this whole thing works. im looking to purchase a glock23 (40s&w) they are charging me $563 after all the sales tax. another thing is im left handed so im needing a left handed holster. do any of you guys prefer a style of holster over another? and one last thing when i get my ccw to carry is there any place i can NOT carry my glock? thanks for taking the time to help me out guys.

If it was up to me, I would make Juvie records available. I worked hard to keep my nose clean when I was a juvie and I still do. Part of me believes in the 2nd Amendment, but in your case a bigger part of me doesn't

Last edited:

drysdaleg

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    If it was up to me, I would make Juvie records available. I worked hard to keep my nose clean when I was a juvie and I still do. Part of me believes in the 2nd Amendment in your case and a bigger part doesn't

i had one mishap as a juvie and learned from it. as a father now id never go down that road again. what do you mean a part of you agree's with the 2nd amendment and the other doesnt?

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    Beause if you were so stupid to fxxxup enough to have and I am quoting "multiple arrests" when you were a teen, are you smart enough to be in possession of a firearm? Add that to the ADMITTED mental issues that the poster stated and I have questions about the person being able to possess firearms.

Juvie f'ups, I can understand, but, add the mental issues together and I get......DENIAL

Last edited:
    Top Bottom