• ...and so much more!
  • CESaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2017
    PBurg
    Hello All,

I recently purchased a Savage .223 to setup for longer range Ground Hogs. Also having in mind the potential for night hunting Coyotes. After the loss of new born calves in the past 2 weeks, :( it is time to get this rifle setup. :ar15:

I done my best to try and weed through YTube and read vendor feedback on the vast array of night optics, but am skeptical as most only have gleaming positive reviews. :rolleyes:

I am hoping to get some "real world" feedback and suggestions on a day/night optic to make a wise investment. Price is somewhat if an issue, but a poor investment is an even greater concern.

Due to our terrain and "brush" that surrounds most open areas, I would say a average max distance would be 200 yds. Shots farther would be far and few, if at all.

Thank You in advance

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Important: I am ABSOLUTELY no expert. But there's a couple guys on here who are. :) But, I have a buddy who has a nice thermal setup that I've used, so I have some real world experience.

What's your price range - especially if it is an issue. If it is less than $4k, then you'll want an IR option which would be a stretch to get to 200 yards.

A good thermal will be over $4k. But, it is like magic. Like, every time you turn it on, you'll be like, "Whoa. That's amazing." (Ok, you might get used to it after awhile.) I'd say his (which has a digital zoom optic) can get to 200 yds, probably more effectively, but we haven't needed it out that far. But, it takes some getting used to because things just look different.

Again, this is just my view of it - a novice with a little hands-on experience. :)

CESaw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2017
    PBurg
    T.Lex,

Oh, I've watched some YTube of the Thermal rigs... talk about some awesome technology. Yep, WAY out of my budget.

IR is what I was looking to purchase (sorry I didn't include that in the original post) ...I'd like to stay around $600 max. Maybe that is to low, I dunno.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Important: I am ABSOLUTELY no expert. But there's a couple guys on here who are. :) But, I have a buddy who has a nice thermal setup that I've used, so I have some real world experience.

What's your price range - especially if it is an issue. If it is less than $4k, then you'll want an IR option which would be a stretch to get to 200 yards.

A good thermal will be over $4k. But, it is like magic. Like, every time you turn it on, you'll be like, "Whoa. That's amazing." (Ok, you might get used to it after awhile.) I'd say his (which has a digital zoom optic) can get to 200 yds, probably more effectively, but we haven't needed it out that far. But, it takes some getting used to because things just look different.

Again, this is just my view of it - a novice with a little hands-on experience. :)

I still say it's amazing! You can get a pretty good thermal for around $3,000.

To the op, like I said, I've got a digital night sight coming in today and my thermal should be back in a few weeks. If you are interested, we could meet up and you could get some hands on experience.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I still say it's amazing! You can get a pretty good thermal for around $3,000.

To the op, like I said, I've got a digital night sight coming in today and my thermal should be back in a few weeks. If you are interested, we could meet up and you could get some hands on experience.

You can get a good thermal for less than that now. For like 2k. And they shrunk the package. Entry level of coarse. Has an American defense mount.
    I paid just over $1700 for mine and it will do for me. You have to wait for the sale percentages. https://www.opticsplanet.com/flir-s...1-5-6x19-30hz-thermal-imaging-weapon-sig.html

OP,
    If you are looking for just night vision I just upgraded and have one more gen3 PVS-14 I'm going to sell. Has the data sheet. I bought it off Alan who's a member here and owns AA optics and I never used it because I had 2 and was going to make a binocular set with it and never did. Paid $2,000 and I'm going to sell it for $1800 to make it move. Someone will get a good deal with all the accessories.

Last edited:

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Yes and no. I assume you're talking about the FLIR 233? The only downside is the native magnification is too low. For closer to $3,000 you can get 2.7 native magnification from a Pulsar XQ50.

We cross posted....

The FLIR has a nice price but the 1.6 native will be harder to use at distance.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yes and no. I assume you're talking about the FLIR 233? The only downside is the native magnification is too low. For closer to $3,000 you can get 2.7 native magnification from a Pulsar XQ50.

We cross posted....

The FLIR has a nice price but the 1.6 native will be harder to use at distance.

Yes you're right, but for me I didbt need too far. I'm just using thermal as a backup check for Night Vision.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    My buddy started with an entry-level at about that $3k price point (which has probably dropped since then) but had some just infuriating problems. Nothing really with the optic itself, but things like burning through batteries in a couple hours of standby, the buttons not always working, problems with the mount. (The hunting we do down in Texas invariably involves bumpy rides in a Jeep or 4 wheeler, walking through somewhat rough terrain, etc.) He ended up returning it and upgrading.

Those are the kinds of things I'd like to avoid when I get one.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My buddy started with an entry-level at about that $3k price point (which has probably dropped since then) but had some just infuriating problems. Nothing really with the optic itself, but things like burning through batteries in a couple hours of standby, the buttons not always working, problems with the mount. (The hunting we do down in Texas invariably involves bumpy rides in a Jeep or 4 wheeler, walking through somewhat rough terrain, etc.) He ended up returning it and upgrading.

What brand was it?

All of them eat batteries like a fat kid eating cake. I was lucky to get 4 hours out of three batteries. Fortunately, they make a battery pack that lets me run all night (15+ hours). In my opinion, a rechargeable battery pack is essential.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city

Not sure what brand he had but they've really been working to make these improve lately. The brand I highlighted for example. I got tired of reading and watching reviews looking and finally settling on mine. I dont hunt really anymore and I couldn't justify a $7k or more trijicon. I'd rather have a rolex :):

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I *think* it was a Pulsar. Saw the reboot screen plenty of times, and I think that's what was displayed. :D I may be confusing it with the one he's had the last couple years. The problem one was probably 3 years ago.

ETA:
    IMHO, the thermal tech is kinda like computers used to be. I have no doubt that they are continually improving them, so it is a matter of deciding when you really need (or want) one and deciding how much you want to pay. You have to accept that a month after you buy it, something new and better will be on the market at the same price point. :)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    Unless you spend the money for Trijicon. Aside from having the best picture, the real advantage to the IR Hunter is their upgrade program. You can upgrade your current scope to a better model for the cost difference between the two models. No other company does this, so if you want to upgrade a Pulsar, you have to buy another one.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Unless you spend the money for Trijicon. Aside from having the best picture, the real advantage to the IR Hunter is their upgrade program. You can upgrade your current scope to a better model for the cost difference between the two models. No other company does this, so if you want to upgrade a Pulsar, you have to buy another one.

Wow. Thanks for that piece of information.

If/when I go that route, that program is very appealing to me. Of course, they'd nickname me "Annuity." Every year, they'll get new money from me. ;)

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    2qs56ro.jpg

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I love my wife!

I was mounting this new scope...

Her: "why didn't you get a helmet mounted scope?"
    Me: "you're talking about a PVS-14 and those are $3,500. This was a lot cheaper."
    Her: "so?"

Well, that was easy!

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    I'm planning to, but I've gotta figure it out. My plan is to get a REAP-IR but it's a lot more than a PVS-14. My argument is that it can serve two roles, a scanning scope and a rifle scope. It will take some time, but I'll get one.

Top Bottom