• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • derrickgoins

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Westfield
    About sums it up. Never thought about the ID / cash different pocket thing but it makes sense. Also, do your homework - that's the advantage of the iTrader feedback mechanism.

Just to reiterate. I'm the buyer and the seller is someone here on INGO.

So it's safer to bring a buddy along.

Public place

Get there early

Keep your ID and cash in a different pocket out of your wallet.

After transaction, just leave, don't linger

Of course, check the gun before closing the deal

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Is there anyway to check if the gun you just bought is legit?
    Legit as I. You suspect it's a fake gun or legit as in not stolen?
    The only way (I was told this by an impd cop years ago) to know if it's stolen (I should specify REPORTED stolen) is to bring it to a cop and have them run the serial number through ncic or whatever it's called. His words not mine. But he told me he had to have the gun in front of him to do that because if it comes back stolen he has to keep it. We have a lot of cops here so they can probably call bs on this or confirm. I was actually told that though first hand.
    I also know there's an online database some people have mentioned here before.
    And you MAY be able to call the atf but they may laugh at you too so I don't know of that's a legit way.

If you mean real or a clone. Just research. Some forgeries with optics specifically used the same serial number, but fakers are good depending what you have. Take clear pics and email them to the maker. They are usually eager to help spot fakes

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Is there anyway to check if the gun you just bought is legit?

There is not a simple way to do that. Take it to the LEO and have them check, subject to confiscation if stolen (or if something is haywire in their database.) I really don't worry about it much anymore. I deal exclusively with INGOers that I have checked their post history and itrader scores and call that good.

I keep my insurance up to date and take serial number photos for record. No idea whether insurance would cover a totally legal private sale netting a stolen gun that had to be confiscated?

You can always have the seller take it to a shop to run it through the FFL system. Than adds quite a bit of cost though.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Wow, you folks don't do this much do you? :)

The first thing you do is look at their INGO post history to see who you are dealing with.

Second, evaluate whether you want to deal with that member vs the next.

Third, communicate very clearly with exact detail of what will be happening. Never assume the other party knows what you mean. (I do a lot of private transactions. I just lost $ today, because I assumed the other party knew something they did not. My fault, not theirs. I paid an unnecessary PayPal fee.)

If you are selling, specify that by meeting they are saying "I'll take it." This is not shopping or looky lou. As long as the product is as advertised, they need to have exact change in cash to pay as agreed. Negotiations are done before both parties leave their house.

Swap telephone numbers and verify with a couple txt's giving the vehicles both parties will be driving.

Pick a moderately busy parking lot with easy access, where you can meet separate from the busy crowds. McDonald's, Lowes, Menards, some Walmarts (not the ghetto ones,) rural convenience stores. Don't be afraid to change to a nearby location if the lot looks too full, you would be cramped into a small space or the crowd appears unsavory.

Buyer or seller, never get out your wallet. Put payment, DL, LTCH in a separate pocket prior to meet. Received payment goes into pocket, the same way.

Do not do your transaction, then go into the business. Drive elsewhere to eat, fuel or go to the bathroom. You can never know who is watching. You and your vehicle should be considered targets until you can separate yourself from the transaction.

Pretty much my operating procedure as well. Even when I had a Sheriff's officer purchasing an item from me... he asked if I wanted him to come to my house. To which I replied, "Nope, I'll meet you at this location at this time. Have cash and ID (nothing recorded), even if you are rolling up in your Sheriff's Office vehicle. See you soon."

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I've asked for serial #'s in PM's and gotten them. Then ran them through the various hotguns sites to be 'safe'. Not foolproof... but I'd be more suspect if a seller didn't want to reveal a serial # before a FtF transaction.

BWFrame nailed it with checking trader & post history on any newcomers. In fact his history is one of the reasons I won't ever buy or sell to him :D I'd still trust a newb on INGO over any other stranger.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Legit as I. You suspect it's a fake gun or legit as in not stolen?
    The only way (I was told this by an impd cop years ago) to know if it's stolen (I should specify REPORTED stolen) is to bring it to a cop and have them run the serial number through ncic or whatever it's called. His words not mine. But he told me he had to have the gun in front of him to do that because if it comes back stolen he has to keep it. We have a lot of cops here so they can probably call bs on this or confirm. I was actually told that though first hand.
    I also know there's an online database some people have mentioned here before.
    And you MAY be able to call the atf but they may laugh at you too so I don't know of that's a legit way.

If you mean real or a clone. Just research. Some forgeries with optics specifically used the same serial number, but fakers are good depending what you have. Take clear pics and email them to the maker. They are usually eager to help spot fakes

Confirmed.

wildcatfan.62

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    South Bend
    This is my mode as well.

Wow, you folks don't do this much do you? :)

The first thing you do is look at their INGO post history to see who you are dealing with.

Second, evaluate whether you want to deal with that member vs the next.

Third, communicate very clearly with exact detail of what will be happening. Never assume the other party knows what you mean. (I do a lot of private transactions. I just lost $ today, because I assumed the other party knew something they did not. My fault, not theirs. I paid an unnecessary PayPal fee.)

If you are selling, specify that by meeting they are saying "I'll take it." This is not shopping or looky lou. As long as the product is as advertised, they need to have exact change in cash to pay as agreed. Negotiations are done before both parties leave their house.

Swap telephone numbers and verify with a couple txt's giving the vehicles both parties will be driving.

Pick a moderately busy parking lot with easy access, where you can meet separate from the busy crowds. McDonald's, Lowes, Menards, some Walmarts (not the ghetto ones,) rural convenience stores. Don't be afraid to change to a nearby location if the lot looks too full, you would be cramped into a small space or the crowd appears unsavory.

Buyer or seller, never get out your wallet. Put payment, DL, LTCH in a separate pocket prior to meet. Received payment goes into pocket, the same way.

Do not do your transaction, then go into the business. Drive elsewhere to eat, fuel or go to the bathroom. You can never know who is watching. You and your vehicle should be considered targets until you can separate yourself from the transaction.

This is my mode as well. I check posts or length of time on the board. I've not done the separate pocket thing but just added it to my list. Stay safe and good luck.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I has a bonus. I can see your infraction history. :D
    now before anyone gets alarmed about my abusing power... check my itrader rating and see the stuff I've bought...
    few and far between... and the last purchase was some wooden folding tables.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I has a bonus. I can see your infraction history. :D
    now before anyone gets alarmed about my abusing power... check my itrader rating and see the stuff I've bought...
    few and far between... and the last purchase was some wooden folding tables.

You can even threaten to ban people to make them lower their price. :dunno:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Always find a public place just do not broadcast your intentions by walking around with a gun. Low key car to car.
    Done more transactions with Ingo people than I can remember and save for maybe 1 they were all very pleasant. Many took way to long due to the ensuing conversation and bonding.

Off Ingo I am armed and aware and sometimes have back up.
    After a while repeat meetups with those you already know are common and looked forward to. Sometimes charred cow parts are involved......with cheese.....and bacon.

Yeah, if a restaurant or gas station, park towards the side, away from the door. That gives the guy you are meeting a chance to park next to you and not have to walk across the lot with a shotgun or AR. I'm a fan of meeting people away from what I would consider an "urban" location, unless I have dealt with the person before. I'm not saying head out to the sticks, but a less bustling area is best, IMHO.

Be safe!

Floivanus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 6, 2016
    La crosse
    Easiest sale I made was when I was dropping off my kids at their sitters once. Sitter's husband asked if I still had a gun he seen that I had bought, he asked how much I would want for it. BAM; done deal.

but reiterate what everyone else says, keep it public if it's an unknown. Personally if I'm buying I would like to, if at all possible, meetup at a local range and shoot/negotiate there.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess I am unsafe, I have purchased a number of firearms from individuals, usually these "deals" were because I had purchased a firearm from someone they knew. Have purchased a few in my home, my son sometimes knew the individual. However I have never felt the need for a Bill of sale, just verified age and Indiana resident. Knowing the person is of legal age (18) and an Indiana resident and NOT knowing or having reasonable doubt the person is legal to possess a firearm is ALL the BATF requires. Usually I meet at the person selling's home.

I have never had any issue of any kind in over 50 years of purchasing firearms. I haven't sold any firearms in over 45 years, have traded 3 or 4 in my life.

Possibly sales are more risky in Indy, I do live in a smaller city. I have always been armed when I purchase, of course I am armed 90+% of the time anyway! Can't say I have much fear of a purchase going south, nor am I worried about the BATF as I follow all their rules ~ But believing they have enough rules, I sure don't add any!

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    I guess I am unsafe, I have purchased a number of firearms from individuals, usually these "deals" were because I had purchased a firearm from someone they knew. Have purchased a few in my home, my son sometimes knew the individual. However I have never felt the need for a Bill of sale, just verified age and Indiana resident. Knowing the person is of legal age (18) and an Indiana resident and NOT knowing or having reasonable doubt the person is legal to possess a firearm is ALL the BATF requires. Usually I meet at the person selling's home.

I have never had any issue of any kind in over 50 years of purchasing firearms. I haven't sold any firearms in over 45 years, have traded 3 or 4 in my life.

Possibly sales are more risky in Indy, I do live in a smaller city. I have always been armed when I purchase, of course I am armed 90+% of the time anyway! Can't say I have much fear of a purchase going south, nor am I worried about the BATF as I follow all their rules ~ But believing they have enough rules, I sure don't add any!

i feel the same way. I had a guy tell me once I WILL give him my ID and LTC and he WILL Be recording my information for his protection. I looked straight at him and said you can keep your damn gun bc you are not getting my personal info. A glance is one thing but I won't let a stranger have my personal info bc he demanded it. If the dude wasn't so uptight he would have known where I lived bc I would have invited him to my house and made him a cup of coffee. I don't ask for that stuff bc it's rude to pry and not my job to Police. My spidey-sense does a good enough job and and have turned away multiple people bc something was off. Most of it was bc I just didn't like them bc they seemed shady.

I am a law-abiding citizen and I try to always do the right thing. I appreciate my privacy and respect others ability to stay anonymous if want ed. I don't want to add to this feeling today's society has that they are entitled to knowing someone else's business bc safety trumps liberty. It doesn't in my book and I'm comfortable with that. If you are not....then do what is best for you.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just curious, is it bad form to bring one of those counterfeit detector pens to check the cash?

Anything those pens catch you should be able to catch with the naked eye. They are just checking it's the right kind of paper. They won't catch washed bills.

If anything looks funny, compare serial numbers. They will usually repeat. Check that the strip inside the money matches the denomination, your better forged bills are bleached small denominations printed with larger denominations.

https://www.businessknowhow.com/security/counterfeitmoney.htm has a pretty good list of what to check for.

SpartanHD

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2016
    West Lafayette
    Anything those pens catch you should be able to catch with the naked eye. They are just checking it's the right kind of paper. They won't catch washed bills.

If anything looks funny, compare serial numbers. They will usually repeat. Check that the strip inside the money matches the denomination, your better forged bills are bleached small denominations printed with larger denominations.

https://www.businessknowhow.com/security/counterfeitmoney.htm has a pretty good list of what to check for.

local store in Lafayette has several counterfeit bills on display. Most of them are easy to tell. However, there was one that i couldn't tell the difference. I pulled out a $100 bill and compared it. It wasn't until I had one next to it that I saw a few minor details. The owner even said that it tested fine bc they had washed out a $1 bill. Was incredible work and makes me wonder why with all that talent why they don't apply it and make money legit. Self employed you can make a couple hundred by lunch on most days. Takes a bit to get there but well worth it. More rewarding than a set of handcuffs and a federal counterfeiting charge. I'm sure judges aren't easy on you with something like that.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

I just found out about that technique a few days ago and never realized it was possible to print a fake $100 bill into a washed $1 bill.

This is one technique you cannot use with Euro currency since each bill has a different size.

euros.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I just found out about that technique a few days ago and never realized it was possible to print a fake $100 bill into a washed $1 bill.

This is one technique you cannot use with Euro currency since each bill has a different size.

euros.jpg

It seems to me most, if not all, countries I've traveled to outside the US have bills of different colors and sizes. It certainly makes it easier to use and harder to forge via the washing method.

One side benefit that I would never have thought of is blind people can tell the denomination by feel. I suppose with credit cards and debit cards being more the norm these days it's not as big a deal as it used to be, but the American blind needed someone they could trust to fold different denominations in different ways so they knew which was which. They just had to trust the change they got was right.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It seems to me most, if not all, countries I've traveled to outside the US have bills of different colors and sizes. It certainly makes it easier to use and harder to forge via the washing method.

One side benefit that I would never have thought of is blind people can tell the denomination by feel. I suppose with credit cards and debit cards being more the norm these days it's not as big a deal as it used to be, but the American blind needed someone they could trust to fold different denominations in different ways so they knew which was which. They just had to trust the change they got was right.

The only downside is that they are harder to carry in your wallet.
    I have a bilfod wallet I bought in the US designed for US currency, most Euro bills are too large for it (anything taller than a 20E has to be folded).

euro-dollar.jpg

Top Bottom