• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Down here by Evansville, you can get a cord of wood for about $125, stacked & delivered. You can fit about a 1/2 cord of wood in a full size pick up, (not the short-beds).

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Prices are based on a per rick and not a truck load as far as I have seen. Around here normal price is 50 to 60 bucks to your door. I sure wish I could find someone who would bring me a cord stacked up for 125 bucks. Never seen it that low in the last 15 years that I have been buying it.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Going price is $40 a rick in Southern Indiana Area. I recommend the Firewood Doctor out around Memphis Indiana, he's a good guy ...

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    I think to Sir Tanembaum's question, I am in the same situation: As a suburbanite without access to a stand of trees to harvest, what is the going rate in the Indy area for a half-rick of decent quality split firewood delivered to your door.

I would be more interested in this topic if our current fireplace had been designed more for warming the house than a single Duraflame log & a bottle of wine.

41iCBr7eABL.jpg

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Buyer be ware, rick, truck-load, etc are not "official" measurements and therefore you can be shorted very easily with no recourse. The only official measurement of firewood is "cord" or "chord" as some mistakenly spell it. A cord is any stack of wood that occupies 128 cubic feet even though most think that it must be a stack 4' wide X 4' high X 8' long. A rick is most often considered 1 row of stacked wood 4' high X 8' long but that still isn't a definitel measurement because the wood can be very short etc. 24" lengths would mean 2 rows/cord but 16" lengths would be 3 rows/cord. So if you order 2 ricks thinking you're going to get 24" lengths and a full cord, you may be sorely disappointed when you get 2 ricks of 12" wood = 1/2 cord.

My advice, find somebody that will deliver AND stack the wood even if you have to pay more for this service. After the wood is stacked, measure it and determine that it is all there. Do not pay until you have determined it is all there. Firewood sellers are very shady. Those that don't stack it often short you and you will never hear from that person again because you will have paid and they're long gone before you get it stacked and realize they shorted you. Some that do stack it and end up short will say, "I'll bring back more tomorror" etc etc but they never do.

If I were buying wood I would be certain to agree upon their definition of a "rick" ahead of time and I will not pay until the amount is completely delivered. If they don't deliver the full amount and they refuse to deliver the full amount I would reduce their payment by the amount they shorted you or tell them they're welcome to load the wood back up and take it back home.

I've often been asked if I sell my wood. I don't because I'm actually tempted to buy because it's so cheap. I can't waste my time at $40-50/rick.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Just an addendum to CB19's post which contains much useful information as usual:

I used to sell firewood until I too decided I could earn more money doing almost anything else (it was a sideline business for me anyway just because I cut firewood in self defense). I would always let the buyers know clearly what they were buying, and I always added a few extra pieces to make up for differences in stacking.

Stacking is the key. I would help customers stack it if they needed it stacked anywhere I couldn't drive right to, but when they wanted it around the back of the house and didn't want to help I charged extra. A pile of firewood can be stacked loose or it can be stacked tight. The difference can be as much as 50% different volume. Even though a cord is a legal definition of 128cu ft, most places that regulate firewood sales (Indiana does not) require that stack contain at least 90 cu ft of actual wood volume. If I delivered wood to someone who stacked it perfectly tight then they might feel they were shorted 10% because I would stack it loose for drying then add more as the pile shrank, but it still was not the most efficient it could be packed. The old time rule of thumb was "tight enough for a squirrel to get through but not the cat chasing it."

I did get a few customers who would stack it real tight then get pissy if the measurement was not perfect or extra. I would always take them a little more later and then never sell to them again because life is too short to deal with people who think I'm cheating them.

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I've been getting mine from a guy in Greenfield; $60/rick (average about 18") and at least a couple years old (well seasoned). We have to go & pick it up, but I feel comfortable with what I'm getting for the price. -- Greg

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    What is a good price for a truck load of good firewood? :patriot:

Lady I buy from charges me $30 for a Jeep Grand Cherokee full... I fold the back seats down, lay a tarp, and she sends her sons to help me load it.

Oak and maple, mostly.

She's just south of Marion, so if that's local for you, let me know and I'll send you her number.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    :laugh: :laugh: I would expect no less of an effort such as this from you (those poor springs, that axle's got to be on the bump stops)!

It's a half ton. I don't think it ever bottomed out but I only went about 4 miles and slow. I also pulled a 20' trailer with 60 railroad ties with this truck. It really struggled then. I hauled a lot of stone in bags with the trailer as well. You definitely have to strategically load the trailer so as to not overload the tongue.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    It's a half ton. I don't think it ever bottomed out but I only went about 4 miles and slow. I also pulled a 20' trailer with 60 railroad ties with this truck. It really struggled then. I hauled a lot of stone in bags with the trailer as well. You definitely have to strategically load the trailer so as to not overload the tongue.

Those RAMs don't give up, do they? You and I both know if it was on the bumpstops, you'd feel it. I've seen guys load trailers so balanced you could bounce the hitch in slow motion like a ball... I don't have the patience..

Top Bottom