• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    In searching INGO for a Good rifle for a 12 year old, it looks like a Ruger 10/22 or a Marlin is the way to go.

Also in searching, people say to stay away form Walmart, which is fine with me really.

Is Gander OK ?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Depends on how much money you want to spend. Regardless of where you buy it a 10/22 is still a 10/22.

If you're concerned about the "Walmart sells 2nds" myth, call Ruger, and ask 'em.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    The only real negative I've heard about Wal Mart 10/22s (presuming you can find one that sells guns still!) is that the inside of the receiver is painted the same as the outside, and is a PITA to strip to keep the paint from flaking off into the action. That said, it's still, as Jay said, an excellent rifle.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    Thanks for the info, he has not shot a rifle yet so we will get him some one on one training to go with the new gun, I have shot lots of rifles and shotguns since I was 16 but have not touched a gun or rifle for 15 years or so.

I know the Johnson County 4H has kids training for rifles , pistols, shotgun, and bow & arrow. I will get him signed up for this in February when it comes back around ,

I expect that he will be strictly target shooting unless he changes his mind about hunting someday.

Hoosier45

Snowman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    143   0   0
    Aug 13, 2009
    Eastbound and down
    I'm not a big fan of semi-auto's for first time shooters. If they get out of control, it goes bang every time they pull the trigger. They have to worry about clearing jams and mag issues instead of just learning to hit what they are aiming at.

A nice bolt action or lever action is a good place to start. They have to manually cycle the action between shots, so no surprises. Smaller capacities mean learning to make each shot count.

Just my opinion.

greed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    I have an 8 year old who will be moving up from a bb gun in a year or so. I was looking at a 10/22 as the natural choice, but now I agree with Hoosier45. A bolt action is a better choice for "first gun". It is safer, but mostly it will slow the process down. Start simple and focus on the basics.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    My son is 10 and he has been firing my DPMS Panther AR15 for a month now. He moved up from a Henry Level 22LR. He is also starting to shoot my Browning Hi Power 9mm, but not hitting the target yet. Just need to work on his aim. But he fires the AR just fine with the iron sight.

8shot

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    I started my kids out with a remington 510 boys 22 single shot, The stock is shorter and the barrel is shorter,One shot at a time makes them a better shot i think,Auto they just want to keep pulling the trigger.

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I told my son if he just wanted to keep pulling the trigger, his shooting days would be numbered. He listened and whenever he felt like doing that, he'd ask and I'd say no, because that's the range rule.

pbook1952

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    As far as I'm concerned any good name brand rifle would fill the bill here. I don't know of any quality store that sells seconds. I do agree that training is a must and that a experianced shooter should be with them at first. It depends on the young adult and there responsable attitude.

There is always the option of inquiring about a used gun on this site or at a gun shop. I have even picked up some bargains at auction.

Good luck and safe shooting!!

skier11

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Bainbridge
    A 10/22 is pretty hard to beat. I have had several. I started my daughter off with a red rider. Then a 10/22. She was fine. If this is your childs first gun you might consider a bolt action. But if you think he/she is ready to start with a semi....My recomendation would be the Ruger over the Marlin. Wal Marts are fine if you want a cheap NIB.

SnowCountry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Not much different here. All 3 kids started on a Ruger 10/22 and began their handgun training on a Ruger single six .22 Caliber. All are grown now and when it comes to firearms, have the word "respect" & "safety" tatooed on their foreheads.

dhnorris

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    hidden in a wall of mud
    My son was shooting a cricket at 6 and his younger sister started at 5. bolt action preferably single shot for safety if nothing else. You don't want a junior Rambo on your hands and that's what kids want to do.

muncie21

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    My daughter has been shooting pistols for a couple of years.
    This summer we happened to have a .22 Henry lever action with us at the range. She absolutely loved shooting it!!:D I set a spinner target up at 20 yards or so. She nailed it on the first try, which boosted her confidence and made if more enjoyable to try again, and again, and again....

BTW, she's 12.

Top Bottom