• jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus
    I've the following penciled in:

Amazon.com : Nikon M-223 XR Mount : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Nikon ProStaff 3-9 x 40 Black Matte Riflescope (BDC) : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

for the build I'm working on. Will these work in this price range, or are there other recommended products I should look at?

There are worse scopes than the Nikon, for sure, but it depends on what you're planning on using it for. I'm not a 300 BLK owner, but I see it as a shorter range caliber (150-200 yards), especially if you are shooting subsonics. Unless you are shooting for groups, I personally would prefer something with lower magnification, but that's just me. I'd think a 1-4 Vortex Viper pst would be the berries, but it's in a higher price range than the scope you listed. Anything from Nikon, Burris, or Vortex in 1-4 or 2-7 magnification would be good for shorter distance hunting, steel ringing, or general blasting. Step up the budget to $200-250, and a lot of good options open up.

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I am a big fan of 2-7x for a general purpose rifle inside of 250yds. For about the same money, I would suggest pairing a Burris PEPR (non-QD) with a Vortex Diamondback BDC. The mount is about the same cost, but the Vortex Diamondback is $40 more. For the extra money, though, I think you get a much more rugged combination and the Vortex BDC subtensions are in relatively simple MOA (which makes it easier to match the scope with your loads, IMO.)

If you give 'Vette (AA Optics) a buzz, I am certain he can set you up.

Last edited:

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I am a big fan of 2-7x for a general purpose rifle inside of 250yds. For about the same money, I would suggest pairing a Burris PEPR (non-QD) with a Vortex Diamondback BDC. The mount is about the same cost, but the Vortex Diamondback is $40 more. For the extra money, though, I think you get a much more rugged combination and the Vortex BDC subtensions are in relatively simple MOA (which makes it easier to match the scope with your loads, IMO.)

If you give 'Vette (AA Optics) a buzz, I am certain he can set you up.

Something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Vortex®-Diamo...359865&sr=1-3&keywords=vortex+diamondback+bdc

Thanks for the tips. :)

cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana

That's the one. With the Burris PEPR mount:

Burris AR PEPR Tactical Riflescope Rings with Mount FREE S&H Burris Mounts Rings Bases

If you want to gather some info, though, I would take a few minutes to talk w/ 'Vette (42769vette). He won't walk you into something more than you need "just because", but he does a good job of helping folks sort out their needs & wants.

jrh84

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 9, 2009
    Columbus

That's what I was gently nudging you towards with my suggestions. Like I said, options open up quite a bit when you up your budget to $200-250. The Diamondback would more than likely be what I'd put on the setup that you described if it were mine (which it isn't).

I'll echo what was said about Alan at A&A optics. A lot of the time, a Vortex product he carries fits the bill for just about anything you'd want to do with a rifle in Indiana. If it doesn't, he'll point you towards something that does, even if it's less expensive, or something he doesn't carry.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide on.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    ASSUMING your BLK is a close range rifle and not a group shooting rifle (not necessarily a safe assumption) I would not go over the 2-7 zoom range. The 2-7 diamondback, or the 2-7 Crossfire 2 would be money well spent. If you want a combination of speed, and group shooting I would move over to the 1-4. If its in your budget the PST 1-4 is a no brainer home run. Im yet to sell 1 of those scope that the customer was not over the top excited about. A more budget friendly option would be

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 1-4x24 V-Plex

Its no where near PST 1-4 quality, but its also 1/2 the money. Sorry for the delay getting to this, I was sponsoring a Friends of the NRA banquet yesterday, so I didnt get much computer time.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    ASSUMING your BLK is a close range rifle and not a group shooting rifle (not necessarily a safe assumption) I would not go over the 2-7 zoom range. The 2-7 diamondback, or the 2-7 Crossfire 2 would be money well spent. If you want a combination of speed, and group shooting I would move over to the 1-4. If its in your budget the PST 1-4 is a no brainer home run. Im yet to sell 1 of those scope that the customer was not over the top excited about. A more budget friendly option would be

Vortex Optics - Crossfire II 1-4x24 V-Plex

Its no where near PST 1-4 quality, but its also 1/2 the money. Sorry for the delay getting to this, I was sponsoring a Friends of the NRA banquet yesterday, so I didnt get much computer time.

Oh, no problem, I'm not in any hurry, it will probably be end of summer before I finish my build. I'm about done with the lower and have started collecting upper parts. This is the barrel I'm looking at:

Match Grade Barrel | 300 AAC Blackout | Recon Tactical | 18-Wilson Combat

So I'm definitely looking for something for 200-300 yard target shooting, maybe coyotes/groundhogs if I can ever get the time and availability to go on a trip with some of my friends. Will the PEPR mount work for the Vortex? It indicates it's a 30mm tube and the PEPR is 1" (~25mm) so . . . .

Thanks for all the info, fellas!

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Oh, no problem, I'm not in any hurry, it will probably be end of summer before I finish my build. I'm about done with the lower and have started collecting upper parts. This is the barrel I'm looking at:

So I'm definitely looking for something for 200-300 yard target shooting, maybe coyotes/groundhogs if I can ever get the time and availability to go on a trip with some of my friends. Will the PEPR mount work for the Vortex? It indicates it's a 30mm tube and the PEPR is 1" (~25mm) so . . . .

It depends on what Vortex you get, and what PEPR you get. Both PEPR, and Vortex has 1 inch versions, and 30mm versions.

For 200-300 yd shooting I would bump up to a 3-9, or if your budget allows a 2.5-10 would be perfect. Something like this would save you some money.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/optics/344900-vortex-2-5-10x44-plex-sale.html

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)

I'm almost positive that I read/heard from AAC themselves that the 300blk round reaches peak velocity in a 9" barrel. Might want to research ballistics on the round and barrel lengths before you drop your hard earned cash on a lot more barrel than you might need. Also might help you get into a nice optic.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I'm almost positive that I read/heard from AAC themselves that the 300blk round reaches peak velocity in a 9" barrel. Might want to research ballistics on the round and barrel lengths before you drop your hard earned cash on a lot more barrel than you might need. Also might help you get into a nice optic.

The big dropoff starts with greater than 18" barrels as best I can tell from this chart. 18" 300 AAC seems to be comparable to 24" 5.56.

View attachment 28896

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I have nothing but good things to say about Aero Precision scope mounts if you don't need quick detach. They're a couple bucks more than the made in China stuff, but they're lighter, made in the US, and WAY sexier.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I personally think the combo RDS/magnifiers are bulky, clunky, heavier, and more expensive than a quality 1-4 or 1-6 scope. I'm not a fan of the RDS/magnifier thing.

But they do have their benefits as well. If your primary use is as a home defense rifle, it would make sense since you can take off the magnifier, and the red dot alone will be a faster and better optic than a 1-X scope set at 1x for that use. Then you can put the magnifier on for hunting.

Or, you can just get a dedicated rifle for your RDS and a dedicated hunting rifle with a 1-x or 2-x optic.

Or, you can get a RDS and a scope and buy quality QD mounts that return to zero and swap out the optic depending on what you're doing with the rifle at the time.

The options are borderline endless.

Anyone have an opinion on running a red-dot/magnifier combo on an 11" barrel .300?

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I wouldn't get an 18" for just this reason. I have read that you can expect 150ish fps difference between a 16" and an 8.5". It was too hot to get out my chrono yesterday, but that is what I expect from my two barrels. I only have a 16" due to the hunting length requirement As Ive posted several times now.

I used a Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 on mine. Sorta overkill, but it'll do the job and Ill put it on a 308 eventually I think.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I personally think the combo RDS/magnifiers are bulky, clunky, heavier, and more expensive than a quality 1-4 or 1-6 scope. I'm not a fan of the RDS/magnifier thing.

But they do have their benefits as well. If your primary use is as a home defense rifle, it would make sense since you can take off the magnifier, and the red dot alone will be a faster and better optic than a 1-X scope set at 1x for that use. Then you can put the magnifier on for hunting.

Or, you can just get a dedicated rifle for your RDS and a dedicated hunting rifle with a 1-x or 2-x optic.

Or, you can get a RDS and a scope and buy quality QD mounts that return to zero and swap out the optic depending on what you're doing with the rifle at the time.

The options are borderline endless.

It all comes down to purpose, doesn't it? The rifle is a 300BLK SBR. 11.3" barrel. I will run it suppressed. I really don't think I'd ever need anything more than 4x. The idea is basically being able to do what needs to be done (defend, hunt, etc.) without broadcasting my location in SHF situations. The red dot is the short range, get in the fight, and the magnifier would be for the 1 shot kill out to a couple hundred yards. Anything beyond 200 with a subsonic 300 is just using the wrong tool. The magnifier wouldn't have to be constantly mounted, and could just be on a lever mount. But a good 1-4 or 1-6 could do the job of both. I've even considered one of those Trijicon deals that has the battle scope with a holographic on top. They just seem bulky. Of course, there's always a good set of irons with a fiberoptic front pin. That's pretty much one step behind a red dot. It'll be a few months before my stamp comes, so I've got time to think and research.

Mosin Mounts

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013
    Southwest of Indianapolis
    I'm using a 4x32 fiber optic (ACOG style) with a "tree" reticle out to 150 yards consistently, but consistently hinges solely on precision loading of the ammo. I'm running a Thompson Machine 30 and pushing the 180 grain projectiles just under the "crack". This minimizes the drop and keeps everything within the scale of my reticle (out to about 175 yards). I don't like spending big $$$ on the 200+ grain projectiles, so I deal with the trade offs.

RapidRounds

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 21, 2015
    Sellersburg
    I've the following penciled in:

Amazon.com : Nikon M-223 XR Mount : Rifle Scopes : Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004MY5L9U...TF8&colid=1AV2QI42R2RQS&coliid=I1WVZXI7TXUSDX

for the build I'm working on. Will these work in this price range, or are there other recommended products I should look at?

Hey JT. Just curious if A) have you already purchased your AR Mount and B) if not I am getting ready to post an ad for a Nikon M-223 without the 20 MOA adj. if you're interested.

Top Bottom