• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I've had most of the pieces in that set ,if it was me I'd buy the RCBS set. It includes everything the lee kit has but the scale and powder drop are 10x`s better

biggen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    I know it's 100$ more but this is a darn good price on a RCBS kit.Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit by RCBS RELOADING PRODUCTS

You really need to have a decent set of dial calipers, which neither set has. The Lee does have a trim die but it's caliber specific so you will need additional ones, I'm not familar with those, but with RCBS you will need to add some sort of method to trim rifle brass. Although you usually won't need to do that for the first few loadings.

Remember the RCBS 50$ rebate.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You'll need a set of calipers, I don't think a set comes in the kit. Everything to load pistol will be in the kit, you'll need something to trim rifle cases to length. The Lee trimmer with the mandrel is cheap, cost wise, and works well, if you don't have a ton to do.

BAZOOKa

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    Plymouth
    For 45, all you will need to load is a set of dies, a shell holder, some sort of way to clean brass (tumbler or ultrasonic) and components. If you want to start loading necked cases like 223 and 308, you will also need some sort of case trimmer to handle the case lengthening from firing and sizing. Just a warning, you will find the "need" for lots of other cool little gadgets, gizmos, and upgrades to things that come in the kit to make your life easier. There is a good sticky on this subject above.

The Drifter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Cedar Lake
    That lee set won,t brake the bank , and works fine . I load 308, 223 . 357 , 9mm with it for the last 21 years . Need Calipers , and a digital scale , the powder scale it comes with is way to slow , still useful but slow. You will need a case tumbler to clean your brass ,unless your loading all new brass , lots of free brass on the range .

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    My dad has used a Rock Chucker for over 30 years. I think it is the same kit listed above.

If I were looking at a budget, one size fits all press it would be the 4 hole Lee Classic Turret. It can be used like a single stage or as a self rotating turret which would speed up loading pistol rounds.

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    That lee set won,t brake the bank , and works fine . I load 308, 223 . 357 , 9mm with it for the last 21 years . Need Calipers , and a digital scale , the powder scale it comes with is way to slow , still useful but slow. You will need a case tumbler to clean your brass ,unless your loading all new brass , lots of free brass on the range .

Plus one on that. I have been using mine for years and have made a lot of rounds of all sorts. I went with a RCBS charge master and some other cool guy stuff to make things go a little faster. The basic kit is very affordable and a great intro to reloading. If you want to upgrade later the single stage will always be used for something or another. Buy it up and start the adventure. I made a hundred rounds of .357 while the kids napped today. Sweet deal.

Steve B

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    KEWANNA
    The press itself is good. I like the quick change aspect of it and it works quite well. However, if you're just getting started I would spend my money on the turret press first. I say first as you will want a single stage eventually. The scale never impressed me a bit. In fact mine is LNIB sitting on a shelf. Never used their powder drop. Their trim tools work just fine.

tk71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2013
    ECI
    reloading books imo the lee manual is good. the powder manufacturers websites have load data also.

Top Bottom