• ...and so much more!
  • Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    If we went back to the state legislatures picking each states' Senators, I think it would help with the political rancor. The leftist mob is so angry right now that the politicians are quaking in their fancy shoes.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    familyguy.jpg

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Thought I recalled seeing a post here or into another SCOTUS thread the real story on previously unseated justices by an outgoing lame duck president. I thought it happened like 9 or 10 times prior to this past year.

Anybody have a good good source for that information they can share? Looking for it for an argument I'm having with someone.

TIA

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Thought I recalled seeing a post here or into another SCOTUS thread the real story on previously unseated justices by an outgoing lame duck president. I thought it happened like 9 or 10 times prior to this past year.

Anybody have a good good source for that information they can share? Looking for it for an argument I'm having with someone.

TIA

This article talks specifically about SCOTUS justices who died during the presidential election year (after January 1st). Both Tyler and Filmore faced almost exactly the Scalia/Garland scenario and each nominated MULTIPLE nominees with no action by a majority-opposed Senate.

It also briefly mentions one of Eisenhower's nominee's, William Brennan, nominated one month prior to the election due to an abrupt retirement, not a death. It also doesn't mention that there were two openings and that he also nominated Marshall Harland, prior to the election. Neither were acted upon by the majority opposition Senate, until after the inauguration. It's worth noting that Harland was the first nominee required to testify before the Senate Judiciary committee in 1955.

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog...-court-nomination-situation-isnt-that-unique/

Another very detailed article covers ALL election year openings, not just those due to death:

Neil Gorsuch's Supreme Court Nominee Rejections: Politics Has a Lot to Do with It | National Review

There is only one exception in each direction to the general rule that when a President makes a SCOTUS nomination in a Presidential election year, action PRIOR to the election is predicated upon whether the Senate is friendly or opposed. In other words, a friendly/allied Senate approves, an opposed Senate tables/defeats. And, as the Eisenhower, Tyler and Fillmore examples illustrate, success or failure in the election predicate success or failure (or even action) upon those nominations AFTER the election. Failure in the election means a President of the opposite party nominates and fills the seat after the election/inauguration.

ETA: Here is my previous post on this...

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...rsuch-nomination-hearings-19.html#post7032765

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Senator Ed Markey says Dems will restore 60 vote threshhold for SCOTUS noms when they're back in power.

I somehow doubt that.

Depends if they also have the White House. I could see them restoring it if they win a majority in 2018. But in 2020, if Dems win control the Senate and a Dem wins the White House, I seriously doubt they'll bring back the 60 vote threshold.

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN

TIA
    Even when the Washington Post fact checked the Democrats on this, they received 3 pinochios! From WaPo!

And that's with WaPo doing the Democrats the "favor" of fact checking whether the Senate had a "duty" to consider the nomination... had WaPo fact-checked their claim that Garland's treatment was unprecedented, they would have received the absolute worst 4-pinochio, liar-liar-pants-on-fire rating. Lol!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...reme-court-nomination/?utm_term=.dbcf1fce7003

Top Bottom