• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • .40plinker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    My only concern is that there is quite a bit of variation in overall length and it makes me a little nervous to shoot it out of the M1903 that grandpa gave me. A couple of the rounds had lengths of 78mm while others were as large as 86. They all look like quality reloads but I'm just a little concerned about bullet depth considering I don't know the source of these reloads.

Can anyone give me some insight? I have always heard that a .30-06 can't be loaded far enough that the case will split. I just want to play it safe and see what you guys think before I put my face down next to this gun.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Overall length could be wildly different because you have different bullets in the cases.

I would segregate (can I use that word?) by OAL then I would pull bullets out of those lots and weigh the powder charges and bullets. If they match by lot, you MAY be OK to shoot them.

The only way to be absolutely sure is to pull the bullets, get rid of the powder and reload them with a known quantity of powder.

The 30.06 can absolutely be loaded with too much or the wrong powder.

Maybe those reloads from an unknown source were not such a good deal??

Top Bottom