• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I've said for years if I ever see a Ruger 77/44 I'm going to buy it well found one, and got it, I just took it out back and emptied a magazine, so I really don't know much yet, but 4 shots on steel out of the box, Trigger is stiff you know how it goes, Feeding from magazine was not smooth but I'll look into that

Heres some pic and will give a report

ildjwl.jpg

5b1vft.jpg

Eprobertson1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Lawrence - Northeast
    Good looking rifle. I don't know that much about this model, what caliber is it? How many does the mag hold? Is it scope mount ready or do you need to add a rail? How much does one like this cost? I know - 2 many questions.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Good looking rifle. I don't know that much about this model, what caliber is it? How many does the mag hold? Is it scope mount ready or do you need to add a rail? How much does one like this cost? I know - 2 many questions.

Its A Ruger 44 mag
    ruger Rings have a very good mounting system,
    4 round mag
    it cost 600

Its very light and very short and it thumps when the trigger is pulled,

I've talked to some people that have had the older production run and they claimed that accuracy was not achieved until you maxed out the powder charge,

I'm excited to have a new animal to play with

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I got the only one Bradis had and had heard of. They said they didn't exactly order it the Ruger Rep stopped by and presented them with it or some such story like that,

All I know you they only had one and I messed around too long before I bought it. I let it sit for a while before I bought it.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    Hey guys,

I've put about 200 rounds through the ruger so far, I'm really happy with it, At first I was having trouble with horizontal stringing, I checked over the gun and one day at the range I just sat down and shot groups and played with the scope until I figure out that the Simmons 1.5-4 Prodiamond turkey scope I had on it had terrible parralax. I expected some parralax out of the scope but this was much much more than I've ever seen. I switched to an old steel weaver K4 that I had sitting on the shelf and things are looking better,

with some lead light loads 240gr it shoots around 4 inches at 100 and with remington 240's factory, and Remington 180's factory it shoots around 2 inches in a good round group and the Hornady leverevolution 225 shoot much better, it will hold about 1 inch give or take .3 inches,

I have found that you have to be a little picky about ammo OAL so far the magazine is the weak part of the system. I've had several times where the magazine stuck and would not feed the rounds, This is with reloads and factory ammo, I've cleaned out the magazine and lubricated it with "Snake Oil" from dillon and the rotary magazine seems to be doing fine then it just hangs up, I think its on the Case heads, The way you load the magazine its hard to mess it up its just a big version of the 10/22 mag. but I've took care to make sure that case heads don't cross each other and they are all tiered. I'm going to buy another one and send a note to Ruger. I don't think I should be having this much trouble with it. I got an Eotech scope to mount on it for hunting, I've got burris bases coming but I haven't decided on if I should mount the scope in back or in front.

Will keep you all informed. I would recomend the rifle to someone who is thinking of a leveraction for hunting but is not big on leveractions like I am. And since the only other bolt action 44 on the market is the Rem 788 which are rare and entirely too expensive this it the one for you if you can find them.

If anyone has figured out anything on the 77/44 magazines I would appreciate a heads up. I'll cover this gun up for hunting season because its shiny

wmitchell

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2009
    Franklin, In
    Pretty sure I looked at the same gun you bought. Nice piece. Glad to hear it shoots good. Hope to see a pic of that ruger next to a big buck.

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    Pretty sure I looked at the same gun you bought. Nice piece. Glad to hear it shoots good. Hope to see a pic of that ruger next to a big buck.
    had to be the one we looked at. i was really thinking hard about it but to pricey for me. hope you get the mag fiqured out.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    had to be the one we looked at. i was really thinking hard about it but to pricey for me. hope you get the mag fiqured out.

somewhat pricey except I looked for 5 + years and it was the first one I found for less than 900, what else ya gonna do they had me at hello

mwilson

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    franklin
    almost had me to. was looking at it and salesman picked it up and handed it to me. really liked the way it felt and looked. almost had me. sorry i fondeld your rifle before you:D

harms

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    If you seat your bullets deeper you should be ok on the mag. 300's are about as big as you can get in there and not all factory loads will work. Federal 300's work in mine, but as you found out the evolutions are the ticket anyway. Good luck.

Dave_H.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Local dealer has sold 12 of them so far this fall. I don't have one but I saw a hundred yard target that a friend of mine shot and was very impressed. He had 3 cloverleafed holes, all touching, with 240 gr. factory ammo. I can't remember what ammo or scope he was using, but if his target is indicative of how most of these shoot, they should be a helluva deer rifle!

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    Hate to sound negative, but I was ready to purchase one of these a while ago. I just read too many bad reviews. Maybe they changed since re-introducing them. I'm glad to hear some positives on the rifle.

Hank in Indiana

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    South Central In
    I was told that Ruger is making their own barrels now. They were farming out the barrels to the cheapest bidders before. I hope this is true, I've never had an accurate Ruger and I've had more that a few. I handled a 77-44 recently too and really like it. More range reports please.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom