• ...and so much more!
  • iwas1ncthr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2011
    Anderson
    Hey all,

I took my new baby to the range a couple days ago which started out as the Rem .700 R5 version. I then took the barrel/action/trigger out of the origonal stock, bought an H-S Precision Pro-Series M24 Tactical Remington 700 Stock which was designed for the Rem R5 variation. Anyhow, after all that, I mouted a set of Leopold base/rings and mounted my Zeis scope on it. I also instaled the H-S Precision Pro-Series Steel DM Bottom Metal/Trigger Guard AKA: 10rd mag adap.

Everytime I took a shot the entire rifle vibrated for a good 10 seconds and the scope vibrated even longer. I cant think of anything else other than a possible bedding job ala' Devcon. The stock however has the aluminum bedding block so I'm wondering if it may be something I overlooked? I know I had the bolts nice and tight so it wasn't a case of loose bolts. Any help will be much appreciated.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Was the stock a true M24 stock meaning it was for long action rifle? The 5R .308 rifle, while made with a M24 style barrel is still a short action rifle. This could be what is causing the vibration, although I doubt the action would have been able to be reassembled with the difference in action screw distance.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    "Nice and tight" isn't what you want on the action screws. They should be accurately torqued to between 55 - 65 in/lbs.

A skim bed never hurts on the HS Precision stocks and will typicall results in a more consistent shooting rifle. How did it shoot in the accuracy department?

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Take it to Tom Merideth up here if Ft. Wayne, and Have it all bedded. The barreled action and the Bottom metal. For a skim bedding I'm sure it would be money well spent. Also be sure you have the right ring diameter for you scope.

Top Bottom