• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tsalazar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    NWI
    Here's the story: I had just got through field stripping my firearm. I had my slide back and my hand next to the chamber when BAM! Slide went forward and caught my hand on that skin between my thumb and pointer finger. It left a pretty good mark.

Sooo. FYI : Keep all fingers, toes, and body parts away from the chamber when the slide is pulled back. (I'm sure mostly everyone here already knew that.)

I will definitely learn from that mistake.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Is that anything like Garand Thumb? :D
    It's easier to get M1 thumb than it is a bite from a slide. The design of the Garand predisposes it to snapping closed unexpectedly unless you're paying close attention to what you're doing.

That being said, the M1 has a lot more force to exert than the average slide and I'd take a slide bite over M1 thumb any day of the week.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    It's easier to get M1 thumb than it is a bite from a slide. The design of the Garand predisposes it to snapping closed unexpectedly unless you're paying close attention to what you're doing.

That being said, the M1 has a lot more force to exert than the average slide and I'd take a slide bite over M1 thumb any day of the week.

Lol.. I knew Garand Thumb didn't sound quite right but it's getting late. Luckily after all these years shooting M1s I've never been bitten.

MikeDVB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Morgan County
    Lol.. I knew Garand Thumb didn't sound quite right but it's getting late. Luckily after all these years shooting M1s I've never been bitten.
    Garand Thumb or M1 thumb... I just prefer M1 because it's shorter to type :).

Believe it or not I've never fired one, but have handled them a few times and seen it slam shut on somebody else. Resembled slamming your finger in a door.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    M1s are a blast to shoot and they can become addicting. I've thought of selling them off but then I usually come to my senses and just have a drink! ;)

LuckyOne

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 8, 2013
    Parke County, IN
    I haven't been bitten yet but is it normal to have to slap the mag into place. My M&P 9C doesn't accept the mag gently, it has to be slammed home. Is this normal?

Firefighter56

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    East Central Indiana
    My son got bit by my XD a few days ago. I let my boys handle my empty unloaded guns to get used to how they work, learn how to strip and clean them etc. He was racking the slide and it got him. He is 10 and has no problem racking it but he uses most of the slide to grip it becasue he can't hold it with just a couple fingers and thumb like we do. It got him on the palm side if the first nuckle if his first finger. It left a good mark, but he didn't cry! I probably would have! :)

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Garand Thumb

Is that anything like Garand Thumb? :D
    Or M1 thumb. Used to be the highlight of gun shows everywhere. Guys used to lock them back on the cartridge guide. Baby fart will cause them to go forward. Doesn't happen much any more. Smarter clientele?

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    That's nothing...

I was cleaning my H&K USP9 after getting it home, and my hand slipped due to the lube when racking the slide.

The chamber managed to systematically bite my index finger, then middle finger, and finally my ring finger. It ripped half the finger nail off all 3 fingers, and I still have blood blisters nearly a month later.

That hurt like hell.

Funny thing is, that's the softest recoil spring and easiest slide to rack of any gun I've ever owned. I'd hate to think what my 460 rowland 1911 would do if this happened, I'm sure I'd be missing part of a finger. Hell that thing scares me to even use the slide stop on it.

Top Bottom