• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I was bored and hadn't had a good tinkering project for a while. Had a 1/4 horse motor and have always had this in the back of my mind. Still needs a few finishing touches, but done for the night and to this point it shows promise. It is quiet and should last. About $60 in materials (motor was free!)
    tumbler001.jpg

Video as promised.

tumblervid.mp4 video by jloehme - Photobucket

Last edited:

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I love to see this sort of thing.

Re-purpose an otherwise dormant set of parts for something really well thought out and useful.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nice! Are there some sort of agitators inside the plastic tub?

Not yet. It is actually turning over pretty well without them, but I think I'll epoxy something in there for agitation. Probably some lengths of thin pvc or something. I'm also going to run some rubberized grip tape around the tub for some more grab. Coffee can would grab well and spin perfectly, but the larger plastic tub was slipping some.

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Thanks guys! There really isn't much to it really, the pics say it all. I used a 1/4 horse electric fan motor with a 2" drive pulley and a 5" pulley on the drive spindle. Motor turns on, turns the drive spindle, which in turn grabs the tub and rotates it. RPMs seem about right at this combination. When I get some time and finish it I'll try to post a video of it in action.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I am in the tinkering process in making a vibratory tumbler with an old fan motor. Just have to figure out the counter-weight and I'm set.

Whatever you do, make sure to put a good bead of silicone along the agitator/blade(s) you put inside so that "media" doesn't gunk it up.

Great innovation! Is your motor/pulley setup giving you 60-70 RPM or are you needing a larger spindle gear (can't remember, just got off work ;) )

hammer24

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Great innovation! Is your motor/pulley setup giving you 60-70 RPM or are you needing a larger spindle gear

It figures to about 70 rpms with the large container and about 85 with a coffee can. It wasn't too fast b/c it was cascading and not just pushing it out against the walls of the tub. Those RPM numbers are with absolutely zero slippage of the container and drive spindle which isn't a reality, there is some slipping. So, I'd say the real world rpms are lower.

Top Bottom