• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Naptown

Master
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    You should have run over him and his soda with your bad *** dodge.

I'm sure you have gathered plenty of opinions from this thread. Hopefully, in the future you will have the proper state of mind to make the correct decision(s). These fellow gun owners generally have parallel beliefs and thoughts, it's a great resource things we enjoy. Stay safe and keep others safe too!

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I think the problem is that the wording in the OP leads people to think that you're asking when you "get" to shoot someone rather than your intended question of what you should do about someone behaving that way.

So, what you SHOULD do in that situation is exactly what has been suggested. Drive to a police station or fire station, the angry person following you should get the hint and drive on. Regardless of whether you're armed, the best thing to do in any avoidable confrontation is to just walk away and ignore them.

mms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    Greenwood
    I think the problem is that the wording in the OP leads people to think that you're asking when you "get" to shoot someone rather than your intended question of what you should do about someone behaving that way.

So, what you SHOULD do in that situation is exactly what has been suggested. Drive to a police station or fire station, the angry person following you should get the hint and drive on. Regardless of whether you're armed, the best thing to do in any avoidable confrontation is to just walk away and ignore them.

agree with both points above I think people are interpreting his intent of the question wrong.... and when in doubt just drive to the po po

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Twice today I get to use this gem.

IC 35-41-3-2
    Use of force to protect person or property

e) Notwithstanding subsections (a), (b), and (c), a person is not justified in using force if:
    (1) the person is committing or is escaping after the commission of a crime;
    (2) the person provokes unlawful action by another person with intent to cause bodily injury to the other person; or
    (3) the person has entered into combat with another person or is the initial aggressor unless the person withdraws from the encounter and communicates to the other person the intent to do so and the other person nevertheless continues or threatens to continue unlawful action.

You provoked it! You shoot him under any circumstance afterward and you are going to jail.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    From a thread a while back:

Drive safely, legally, AND courteously. Driving is a dehumanizing act. We have no way to communicate with each other & thus, things can blow up very quickly. If you're driving in a position of control & are being discourteous in any way to those who your behavior effects, don't be surprised when they get royally ticked at you.

The example I like to use is this:

10d5i83.png

Now picture that it takes 5 miles for blue to pass yellow. I've been the red car in that sort of situation (especially behind semis). Believe me when I say that nasty things are going through my mind after about 3 miles...and I'm about as mild-mannered as a person can be. Now put someone who's already near-breaking into the red car & you create an explosive situation.

I know some of you feel that it's your job to enforce what you think the driving laws are. Don't. That's a surefire way to put yourself into a road-rage situation. The other drivers on the road have not consented to you being in control over them.

So, just like they taught you in driver's-ed:

• Use your turn-signals
    • Don't block traffic
    • Use the right-most lanes, except for passing
    • Don't tailgate
    • Don't cut people off
    And, a few of my own design:

• Don't pull out in front of someone who's obviously going faster than you will desire to once you're in front of them
    • Don't drive like you have no place to go at 7:50am on a busy city street in front of 30 drivers who need to get to work ;)
    Basically...don't be an :moon:& you'll find that other drivers will either ignore you or will appreciate your level of courtesy.

Now...the thought of someone feeling justified to shoot in such a case as you've outlined, SootKing, is quite worrisome...especially when you've rejected most of the good advice given in this thread. :twocents:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Be honest with the Indiana State Police and explain to them you'd shoot a man for trying to punch you or because he threw a drink at you.. I guarantee your LTCH will be revoked. That's the last thing we gun owners need is a hot head like yourself carrying.

Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

when I lived in Chicago, I saw a guy get sucker-punched in the face while walking down Belmont. He fell down and hit his head on the pavement. He went into a coma. I saw another guy get pushed down a set of subway steps, after trying to walk away from an aggressive panhandler. That looked like it really hurt. His leg was bent the wrong way. I saw a few other people get seriously hurt while either trying to defend themselves, or walk away from confrontations, as well.

Ask any ER physician or surgeon about the risks of getting knocked down in a fight, on the street, with concrete curbs and sidewalks all over the place. You'd be surprised at how easily you can be seriously injured or killed, and how many people go into the hospital with skull fractures and brain injuries from this sort of thing.

You call it "hotheadedness", but I call it "the shooter walks if I'm on the jury." The bottom line, for me, is this: if someone doesn't want to run the risk of getting killed, they shouldn't victimize others.

Devil's Advocacy now complete.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    Just to play Devil's Advocate for a moment...

when I lived in Chicago, I saw a guy get sucker-punched in the face while walking down Belmont. He fell down and hit his head on the pavement. He went into a coma. I saw another guy get pushed down a set of subway steps, after trying to walk away from an aggressive panhandler. That looked like it really hurt. His leg was bent the wrong way. I saw a few other people get seriously hurt while either trying to defend themselves, or walk away from confrontations, as well.

Ask any ER physician or surgeon about the risks of getting knocked down in a fight, on the street, with concrete curbs and sidewalks all over the place. You'd be surprised at how easily you can be seriously injured or killed, and how many people go into the hospital with skull fractures and brain injuries from this sort of thing.

You call it "hotheadedness", but I call it "the shooter walks if I'm on the jury." The bottom line, for me, is this: if someone doesn't want to run the risk of getting killed, they shouldn't victimize others.

Devil's Advocacy now complete.

If an attack on you is unprovoked you are justified. If you provoke the attack you are not justified.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    If an attack on you is unprovoked you are justified. If you provoke the attack you are not justified.

To me, regardless of what Indiana law has to say about it, whoever forces the fight is the one at fault. Regardless of whatever might have been said prior. Words to me are not justification for assaulting someone in any way. They're just words.

So if somebody wants to laugh and point at the roadrager, resulting in the roadrager flipping out all the way and attacking them...well... sometimes people have to learn the hard way to control their tempers and not attack others. That shooter would probably walk if I was on the jury.

But that wasn't the real point of my post. The real point of my post had to do with

"Be honest with the Indiana State Police and explain to them you'd shoot a man for trying to punch you or because he threw a drink at you.. I guarantee your LTCH will be revoked. That's the last thing we gun owners need is a hot head like yourself carrying..."

when I can think of many scenarios wherein somebody might be completely justified in shooting somebody for trying to punch them.

Last edited:

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    ... you know... I don't think that word means what you think it means. ;)

I just read every post in this thread and I'm positive he does not know what that word means.

ATF Consumer, I'd rep you for the valuable information you've given TS(even though he chooses to not listen), but I've repped too recently.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    what do you do ingo?

First, don't do things just to p!$$ off other people. As was already said, if your actions provoke another to take action against you you can't claim self-defense.

Next, if the person is obviously mad & they are following you, don't stop. They will eventually get tired of following you & quit. Don't taunt them. Don't roll your window down & have verbal exchanges with them. Act like you're ignoring them but make sure you covertly keep track of what they are doing.

Last I disagree with others who say to get training. Don't get me wrong. I think that most people should get as much training as they can afford. I just don't think lack of training is your problem. You can't teach common sense. You can learn it, but it can't be taught.

Read the laws dealing with self-defense. Act as much as humanly possible in accordance with them. If you don't understand them, ask.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin

that could go both ways, lets say old grandma in her station wagon UNKNOWINGLY cuts someone off and they block her in at the light and she pulls a gun when they attack her and kills them. she provoked it...so is she at fault?

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    agree with both points above I think people are interpreting his intent of the question wrong.... and when in doubt just drive to the po po

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: finally someone understands i just worded the OP bad! not "itching" to kill anyone just curious about what the laws said about things. no need to jump down my throat!

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    :+1::+1::+1::+1::+1: finally someone understands i just worded the OP bad! not "itching" to kill anyone just curious about what the laws said about things. no need to jump down my throat!

Then using the edit your post button would have been the thing to do, but instead you resort to calling names and returning neg rep!! I think this whole thread reeks of your response to something that you created and then are not man enough to say Hey I messed up I'm sorry.

erik7941

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2008
    Noblesville
    :+1:
    I agree that ATF Consumer is giving you great advice by suggesting that you take some training as soon as you can. Not only do they teach you safety and accuracy, most of the trainings I've taken have spent a good deal of time on determining when it's necessary to even display your firearm much less use it, and then they also spend time on what to do after you make the decision to shoot. I would encourage you to put some serious consideration into a force-on-force training or three.

I would have to agree with the above. I recently took a basic pistol course and I'm going to be taking an advanced course in the near future. I took the course mainly as a refresher course to get back to the basic fundamentals of shooting and to get an idea of what the instructor's advanced courses would be like. At first, I didn't see the point in taking the basic course since I grew up around firearms and safe gun handling, and I've been shooting since I was 6; but I decided that everyone should re-learn the basics every once in a while. Even in the basic pistol course where the main focus was on safe gun handling, shooting, cleaning, and storage, the course instructor still covered when it is acceptible to draw your firearm and when to shoot. If I'm going to pull my handgun on someone, it's because I intend to use it because I'm fearing for my life or the life of another. I highly recommend you take one or more of these kinds of courses.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    First, don't do things just to p!$$ off other people. As was already said, if your actions provoke another to take action against you you can't claim self-defense.

Next, if the person is obviously mad & they are following you, don't stop. They will eventually get tired of following you & quit. Don't taunt them. Don't roll your window down & have verbal exchanges with them. Act like you're ignoring them but make sure you covertly keep track of what they are doing.

but why should he have to keep driving when he's reached his destination? well, thats what he told me at any rate. this guy is nothing more than a troll.

SootKing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2009
    not tellin
    Then using the edit your post button would have been the thing to do, but instead you resort to calling names and returning neg rep!! I think this whole thread reeks of your response to something that you created and then are not man enough to say Hey I messed up I'm sorry.

key word there bub, not like im starting anything. i really dont see why you and everyone else are getting so pi$$ed. i really dont. cuz i didnt use the "edit" button?? cmon

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    The only way I see needing to defend yourself while driving in your vehicle. Is if say you were stopped at a light and all of the sudden some character runs up and attemps to car jack you, or for some reason you pissed the guy infront/behind not really realizing it persay, all of the sudden he jumps out and runs up trying to pull you of of the vehicle.
    These scenerios would be if I had cars infront of and behind me or for some reason was unable to drive away.
    Basicly if you can drive away, DO SO. Other wise you are in the wrong, you cannot just instigate a person untill you make them angry enouph you think you can shoot them.:rolleyes:
    The only exception for me to driving off would be, if for some reason the POI was out of control and was a danger to another person.:twocents:

paul1968mcr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Carmel
    I'm sure I remember, was it last year?? A woman having an incident in her car with a guy on a motorcycle, not sure what she did but it pissed him off.

There was some horn blowing, shouting, gesturing involved.....he followed her, she pulled over, then as he walked towards her car.....she popped one into his chest.

He survived, she's doing 10 years.

Judge blamed them both for the incidents escalation, saying at any time, either of them could have ended it peacefully, ultimately the woman stopped knowing she had a firearm, and the upper hand, used it unlawfully and paid the price!

I honestly try to forget I'm carrying a gun when driving, as responding to others fook ups, stupidity on the road is too easy a way to have a situation go very bad, very quickly.....we do things in the "safety" of our cars we would never do face to face in response to what are very trivial things.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom